Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 31317181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: EoFF XXVII Discussion Thread - Strengthen Those Social Links

Articles
    Blog Entries

I mean, Psychotic is right: Lynch All Liars is an established policy. I personally don't like policy lynches, because by their very definition they are inflexible, and I like to consider everything to their proper context.

I agree with Psychotic: it was damn risky, and Mitsuru came under some heat which could've crippled the Town. Despite that, it did work out, it forced Koromaru to claim (making him the number one target), which resulted in Ken having to claim a significantly weaker position (making him face off against Mitsuru, and we know how that ended up)

I'll also go into slightly more detail about why I'm more sympathetic to the risky gambit, but I'll wait until after the game's finished. I will say though Junpei: risky as smurf, but good job.

EDIT: It's easy to be objective. I mean, objectively, yeah, I totally agree with Psy. But subjectively, I can't help but say Junpei's risky gambit was the turning point of the game.

A game which isn't over just yet, though. Day Five could go one of two ways, still.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

And I'm not saying I didn't make a mistake! I acknowledged that as far back as yesterday. Still, Junpei made a decision that hinged on me making that mistake. He saw an opportunity and he took it - it was rolling the dice, but in the end, he won and I lost. I didn't think he had it in him to lie, so I did my best to adjust to the facts he presented. I made the mistake, but he planted the lie. Which I think was very smart, even if a lot of it relied on luck.

Honestly, I think Junpei played us like a fiddle. He's put himself in a position above all reproach, whilst leading us into incriminating ourselves. Formy and Psychotic are looking at it all wrong: it was a brilliant gamble, not a mistake.

##Vote: Formy AND Psychotic

'cause I'm a mafia and I live to break rules.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Hey, don't lump me in with Psy, I'm ultimately with you guys! I just think Psy has a point and under normal circumstances, it is way too risky to consider.

But it worked, and he ended up directly bagging Koromaru, and forcing Ken to claim a weakened position. Besides, it was Day Three, and Town were in a shambles before, so someone had to do something.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

You're all missing one key thing. Junpei was motivated by his obsession with the idea that Mitsuru was scum. Mitsuru as in not scum Mitsuru. As in Cop Mitsuru. He was trying to get Mitsu's scum buddies to come to her aid. He wasn't onto any actual scum! He even straight up said "Koromaru: don't think you are playing as mafia" right before you claimed.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    You're all missing one key thing. Junpei was motivated by his obsession with the idea that Mitsuru was scum. Mitsuru as in not scum Mitsuru. As in Cop Mitsuru. He was trying to get Mitsu's scum buddies to come to her aid. He wasn't onto any actual scum! He even straight up said "Koromaru: don't think you are playing as mafia" right before you claimed.

Pretty much this. In fact, I would even argue that Junpei's move somewhat backfired because he actually ended up exposing the real Cop.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Maybe that was a false sense of security. It's easier to roleclaim to someone who trusts you than someone who's finger pointing you and shouting that you claim something.

But yeah, Junpei was awry with the Mitsuru finger-point.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yep, which is why I said nothing until Mitsuru revealed stuff. She said some stuff that I knew I couldn't refute once Aigis came in, so I decided to claim Doctor first since I'd actually been less suspected than her, so I could have the upper hand and frame Aigis.

But then Junpei revealed he was lying which I was NOT expecting, which is why I thought it was smart. I already thought of three steps that I'd be performing and was getting ready to fight Aigis, but I failed to consider Junpei might be playing me.

I will go into after the game why and how I set it up.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I did it PRECISELY because I thought he was going to push Mitsuru and didn't suspect me.

Articles

Yeah but once he'd pushed Mitsuru and she'd been lynched and flipped Cop, you'd have been exposed anyway. No need to try to set up the Doc - because there's no way you could've taken them both out - just take the Cop lynch you've already got and laugh all the way to the bank, kill the Doc at night (if he claims to substantiate Mitsuru) and then do your jnpy pls routine the next day.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sigh

You know what, guys? Dealing with the fact that I'm not as smart as I thought and then trying to make a joke out of it was hard enough. You really don't need to spend energy rubbing that fact in my face

Articles

Hey we all smurf up and make mistakes, that's part of the game. I've made some shockers in my time! Phoenix Wright mafia for example was a troutshow of bad on my part.

Anyway, there's a wider strategic discussion as to whether it's right for town to lie or not and that was more intended to be the point of my posts, we kind of drifted off that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I still think it's a valid strategy because that means you can also trick mafia. If a game Master doesn't specify that it's against the rules, I really don't think there's anything wrong with that

Articles
    Blog Entries

I lost the last two Mafia games pretty handily, with several mistakes in the last one, so yeah. Don't beat yourself up about it Fynn. You're a really good player!