Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891323 ... LastLast

Thread: EoFF XXVII Discussion Thread - Strengthen Those Social Links

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Ah, the return of the No Lynch debates return, it seems. I swear we have one like, once per game now. Now with added maths!
    That's a thing? I haven't played with No Lynch rules before so didn't know it was so controversial.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, this is apparently a big deal to many people. Almost got me murdered on the first day the last time.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah, at least on EoFF. We've had the No Lynch rule since Karifean did his game. There's always some disagreement on Day One about it!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I mean, it's a generally good strat in the format I presented since you do actually get a lot of information from a nighttime phase, but normally it's a lot more ambiguous. I certainly think it's in the town's best interest to lynch a likely suspect, and really, Day 1 should get to the point where you *don't* just randomly guess. The only reason for No Lynch is if you believe you'll hit a townie, and there are better ways to prevent that than not lynching anybody.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Honestly, people are generally too reserve and all evidence during Day 1 is so circumstantial that the chances of actually getting a Mafia unless they significantly slip up is low. Day 1 voting tends to be reactionary and random. It can be retrospectively useful to see who is Mafia but at the time, not really. So really it ends with the Townies more often than not lynching their own. Mafia have 3/6 of majority votes if they really wanted to be aggressive and reckless.

If "no lynch" is so suspicious of a Mafia move then why would a Mafia use it? Especially given that they stand to gain more power from a wrongful lynch on Day 1?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Last time I was mafia, I used no lynch, and that set a precedent, I guess

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

There's plenty of evidence on Day 1 if people vote and put people under pressure, certainly more than everyone cordially agreeing not to lynch anyone. Who is attacking who, who is defending who, who is using really silly reasons or setting plans in motion? Sucks to be the person who dies as they are more often than not, town. But unless you're a power role your job is to die for them anyway, so.

Also the actions of the town on Day 1 following the identity of the lynch victim can also be used as evidence on Day 2 and is much more valuable than "Timmy died during the night. He was a Doctor who made 2 posts, one of them was roleplaying and the other was a no lynch vote."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Psy is an aggressive opponent of the no lynch rule. He was foaming at the mouth when Karifean introduced it. And he wasn't even participating in that one!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    If "no lynch" is so suspicious of a Mafia move then why would a Mafia use it? Especially given that they stand to gain more power from a wrongful lynch on Day 1?
    Not lynching is not even that bad of a choice. However, as soon as it's proposed (and accepted), the influx of information to analyze just stops. Early accusations are productive for this reason. It gives you an idea of where everyone stands. That's why even if you are a proponent of No Lynch, you usually don't want to bring it up too early.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It does also kinda suggest you wanna end the day asap if you bring it up too early

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Psy is an aggressive opponent of the no lynch rule. He was foaming at the mouth when Karifean introduced it. And he wasn't even participating in that one!
    I fully endorse its inclusion. But I've long been a proponent of "Yes let's do things on Day 1" and fought tirelessly against the same old tired "we don't know anything on Day 1 don't do anything" because that doesn't help. At least bloody try something! I've said this before but if you're near the end of the day and no-one sticks out, fine, go for it, but it shouldn't be Plan A. What have you got to lose? Oh no, one innocent town got lynched! Gosh, sure was a shame to break that egg to make my omelette! Hate to break it to you but lots of town are going to die at the town's own hand. That's the nature of the beast.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I don't really like the No Lynch because really it doesn't help the town out. It only prolongs their life until the Mafia pick them off one by one. Towns biggest asset is information, while the Mafia's is silence. A no lynch vote doesn't get people talking, reacting, and Mafia is able to sit back and watch the townies destroy themselves. Put a vote out however and you will see human nature play out. People will defend themselves, people will start asking questions, and this is bad for the Mafia. That is why they often will go with a no lynch vote, also they are safe if it is a no lynch situation where town is never safe. The more people get talking the better chances of hitting Mafia you have. No lynch is the vote of silence.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I do think Yukari raises a valid point and that there are benefits for town in keeping the option to not lynch. But then, I'm used to starting mafia on a night - this does make more sense when you're doing it irl, though.

Articles

I also think it's a more valid tactic in games which require a majority for the day to end and so you end up with several real time days of discussion.

On EoFF a 24 hour day is traditional, and you get a handful of players happy to contribute a couple of lines a day which is just the worst. Don't give them an excuse!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Math.