Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Formy's Playing FFIV!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    How the hell do kids today even learn how to read anymore?!
    Play Mafia, of course.
    Liar. No one in that game has any idea how to read.

Articles
    Blog Entries

So where were we? Oh yes, getting the sand pearl!

I'll skim over this first bit because it is basically just going through a dungeon. We use the hovercraft (after giving Edward some much needed levels) and enter the cave. We get through it, until we see an antlion nest.

"Oh, don't worry. Antlions are gentle creatures!" says Edward.

The very next thing, the antlion attacks us. Gee.

It was a fairly standard 'don't attack with [x] when it is adopting a stance', although they spiced it up by giving it two stances, so that was difficult.

I alternated between Cecil's physicals and Rydia's spells depending on the stance (the eyes changed colour) while Edward did jack all. Well, no he was helpful enough using Life's Anthem to give us Regen. And my God Regen is strong in this game. Usually it is one of the lesser buffs but the rate of recovery is fast, so I had him use that. Annoying thing is that if he gets hit even once, he stops singing, and it has a slowish charge time. Balanced, I suppose.

Anyway, we get the sand pearl. Turns out lots of monsters are attacking lately, which is why the antlion attacked us. Maybe there's something in the air? We head back to Rosa and restore her to health! Huzzah! I found a power bow and some holy arrows which means Rosa's actually a powerhouse in the back row. Somehow, giving her arrows reduces her accuracy, which... makes no sense. She's a white mage, so she'll prove very handy.

Story-wise, with two crystals already captured, Fabul's wind crystal is next. Well we can't be having that! We need to head up Mt. Hobs to reach Fabul. But there's an ice wall in the way. Hmm.

We get to Mt. Hobs and indeed we find an ice wall. Rydia could use fire, but she's understandably traumatised from her village burning down, so she's afraid to use it. A charming scene with Rosa takes place where she convinces her to use her fire magic. She does so, and we scale of Mt. Hobs, only to find a monk of Fabul fending off some monsters. Looks like we have a new character!

It's unusual having five party members. I'm not sure how that'll go down for me; seems rather chaotic. For now though, Yang seems pretty strong. He's got massive health, and strong attacks!

The boss battle here was only a little tougher. The Mom Bomb's gimmick is that it explodes, causing massive damage. I basically had everyone heal up and guard until it exploded. Unfortunately I had to revive Rosa, but other than that we were all good.

We introduce ourselves to Yang of Fabul, and rush on over!

EDIT: Also, I've figured out how to actually take screenshots now, so expect a more visually stimulating experience.
    Last edited by Formalhaut; 02-24-2017 at 11:00 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yang is p. cool, hopefully you'll like him!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Here's another update! Now with added visuals.

So we meet Yang in the mountains (getting some strong Sabin vibes here) and head on over to Fabul Castle.

I went in as Yang and got some nice dialogue that seemed specific to him, but I wondered whether or not it would change if I wasn't the head monk:

I was disappointed, to say the least.

There's some treasures to be had as well in Fabul! I know we were meant to see the King, but why bother with royal audiences when you can ransack his bedroom instead?

There's also an inn and a weapon and armour shop, so this is one practical castle. In particular the claws I gave Yang makes him beastly:

In the tavern area, we encounter yet another one of those weird dancer types, who turns out to be a monk who likes bartop dancing. Go figure.

Also in the Tower, we come across a really anger-fuelled kid.

I'm getting Ken vibes from him.

Quote Originally Posted by [M
    Ken]Stabby stabby Minato. Inna da face.

Then again when he's living in a warrior-society, I suppose all he can hope to achieve is a path of violence. It is society who makes the individual. Deep.

In the West Tower, we also come across Yang's Wife. Who isn't even given a name. How progressive!

They also sleep in separate beds, so maybe they have some marriage difficulties. I'm sure Dark Knight Cecil doubles as a guidance counsellor in his spare time.

Talking about beds, we even get to sleep in the King's bed. Yang you rebel.

Sure Yang, it'll be fine. It isn't like the King's bed maid is in the same room or anything.

Ooooh er. No wonder she wanted to take up that position.

We also listen to some of the musings from our characters:

No, Edward. You're... useful.

Finally, we see Livingway, the cute little rabbit! Though he's decided instead to become Recordingway and record all the FMVs for us.

We've fooled around enough, so let's head up to the Throne Room.

And what a mighty moustache the King has!

We convince the King that we're here to help, just in time to be attacked! Woohoo!

Cecil, Yang and Edward (yay) will fight on the front lines. What about Rosa and Rydia?

Sexist!

Anyway, we needn't have worried, because we're only being attacked by B-list monsters and soldiers.

Also, the front-line seems to consist solely of us three. Seriously, this is meant to be a heavily fortified castle!

We keep getting pushed back, even though we're totally kicking them in the face like that boy said we would.

Eventually though, we're pushed back into the Throne Room where, surprise! Kain walks in and uses the power of scripted battles to defeat us. Cheater.

Cue a cutscene:

Kain moves in for the final blow. But wait, the power of love stuns him into inaction!

But wait! The Big Bad Golbez appears, wearing the most obviously evil armour I have ever seen.

Even his voice is that kind of evil baritone you only hear in fantasy games.

I almost expected him to go "mwhahahahaha!" half-way through, but he restrained himself this time. He kidnaps Rosa (not my ranged DPS!), even though I offered up Edward for a fair price. The bastard!

He and Kain leave with the crystal. Rydia uses a rare example of magic in cutscene to heal us and we chat with the King.

We'll borrow his boat to sail to Baron so Cid can get us an airship, infiltrate Baron and take back the crystals. Before we depart on the boat, Yang's Wife appears and gives us a neat augment!

Why is she wielding a frying pan? Was she thwacking monsters in the field with it?

Anyway, we join the burly pirates and wait out the voyage. There's some chatter, a monster attack, and discussion about the plan when we arrive, but nothing too important.

Wait, a monster attack?

Everyone's thrown overboard as the Leviathan attacks us! What'll happen next to our heroes?

I mean, you tell me, I have no idea.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You left it on a cliffhanger!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

This is the Steam version! Which is based on the DS version, which I'm told is very good. So there's that.

Apparently the DS version has a summon called Whyt which uses the stylus and has mini-games, but that's dropped in this edition because - obviously - there's no touch screen.

Honestly it is a very good edition, I have no complaints.

They couldn't change the name of Yang's Wife to a real name because she's too iconic

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

How is that sexist if they're the ones who know white magic and can be a huge help to the injured!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I was mostly joking to be honest, but there's something rather typical about the entire situation!

Anyway, there'll be another update tonight, so stay tuned!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Man, your updates are far more frequent than my Mass Effect ones. I should be ashamed... I would be normally but I have a big one coming myself tomorrow!

Not to distract from your wonderful LP though, young man. I am excite!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Hardly. You'll notice I haven't updated the Uncharted LP in a few months. Which... I should probably get back to. At some point. If only for the sake of completing the thing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I was mostly joking to be honest, but there's something rather typical about the entire situation!

Anyway, there'll be another update tonight, so stay tuned!
    Just sayin'. There's gonna be a similar moment later on that's much more purely sexist, which is why this sounded ridiculoys to me XD

Articles
    Blog Entries

I know, I know.