Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Formy's Playing FFIV!

Articles
    Blog Entries

In this episode, we finally go visit Troia Castle and meet with the Epopts to secure the Earth Crystal.

So we enter Troia Castle and my God that music. It is so good:

So serene and peaceful! And even the Castle looks nicer, with crystal blue water and the addition of statues on the main bridge:

As Tellah outlines in a thought-bubble, the Earth Crystal allows the land of Troia to flourish. One wonders what all the other crystals did. I mean, the Fire Crystal doesn't have an obvious use, or does it?

Anyway, we move on and talk to everyone we see, like a good RPG player. For the most part, we're given a very warm welcome.

Troia is run by the Epopts, apparently, who are all women! We learn more about them in a moment.

One thing that I've noticed is Troia is that Cecil must be some kind of jerk, based off of the reactions inside the castle:

So we learn Cecil is a misogynist. I mean, he keeps hiring women to dance for him in all the various towns (alternate character interpretation).

Talking about low-key misogyny, we get an author's saving throw about the costumes here:

Because you can't have a strong matriarchal society without putting the guardswomen in skimpy uniforms! They can't even wear those without commenting on fashion.

Swiftly moving on, a guard with more armour explains the political nature of Troia:

Also in this main hall area, we find out that someone from Damcyan has washed up on Troia's shores. Hmm, could it be Edward? I enter the infirmary and talk to one of the healers, who gives the victim a backhanded prognosis:

We approach the bed and, sure enough, it's Edward!

Oh no, just stay in bed Edward. We don't need your help. No really please, just rest up. I'm begging you. Don't join us in combat.

We fill Edward in on some details, like what happened to us after the ship wreck and why Cecil has decided to grow his hair long.

Edward in kind gives us an update on the Earth Crystal: surprise surprise, it isn't here:

Well, isn't that peachy.

We might as well visit the Epopts and have them tell us the exact same thing.

Yes, I imagine most creatures are vulnerable to metal swords.

Oh, well that's a clever monster.

So Cecil and the others head back into Troia Town and I basically make everyone re-equip. Some people were fine, like Yang, but Cecil basically had to undergo a full costume change and wield a very terrible 'Fireshard' which does measly damage. I imagine he won't be very helpful to me in the next dungeon.

To get to the Lodestone Cavern, we need to take a Purple Chocobo because the airship can't land in forests, for obvious reasons. We take the Chocobo onto an island north of Troia's mainland, and venture into the cavern!

Cid helpfully tells us this when we were *already* in the cavern.

Anyway, it's a fairly short dungeon. Cecil was pretty useless swinging what looked like a hot dog on a stick around, so Tellah and Yang were indispensible. Especially Yang, as his Flame Claws worked great against the enemies. But Tellah and his flame rod could rack up the damage as well.

I don't normally comment on dungeons much, because there's not really a lot to say, but look, it's a Mindflayer! I actually first saw one in FFXII so it is nice seeing some enemies in their original appearances.

Eventually we make it to the Dark Elf.

This was what I was expecting:

Instead, we get:

NOT okay.

Turns out we get easily trashed in a scripted fight, so our heroes are doomed...

Apparently, Edward has a sixth sense. He decides to get our of bed, despite whatever vague illness he's suffering from, and help us out with the power of music.

Apparently the Dark Elf really hates Edward's music, so maybe Edward's just an awful Harpist?

Either way, his music stuns the Dark Elf, meaning he can't weight down our equipment. We're given the opportunity to re-equip and fight the Dark Elf once again. Halfway through the fight he turns into a Dark Dragon, but honestly he's just easy.

Huzzah! We exit the cave and return to Troia Castle.

Back at the Castle, Edward explains how he did what he did:

Proving once and for all that he isn't so useless. We also get his augments, meaning we're at the end of the line with him I think.

We head back into the Epopts chambers, but suddenly we're accosted by the evil purple aura of villainy.

So, that's ominous.

For rescuing the Earth Crystal however, we're given access to Troia's vaults, so yeah!

That's it for this episode. In the next one, we head to this mysterious tower and see what the hell happens next!

Also, bonus Troia Castle video:

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Goo job Edward!

I like Troia

Mindflayers are from FF1 tho (well, they're from D&D which is from- anyway FF1 is their first FF appearance).

Articles
    Blog Entries

In this plot-heavy episode of FFIV, we enter the mysterious Tower of Zot and say farewell to a party member in tragic if predictable fashion.

We board our airship and immediately are visited by Kain.

Soon enough, we find ourselves at the Tower of Zot. Weirdly, the Tower of Zot appears to reside in the skies; our airships travels vertically and fades to black to get to the tower.

Inside the tower,Kain challenges us to scale the tower towards Rosa, who is naturally on the top floor of the Tower. Unfortunately, Rosa doesn't have long hair for us to climb up, so we're gonna have to do this the traditional way: killing a ton of enemies.

This place is pretty swish, going through it. It's got a nice steampunky gear vibe. The dungeon's music's only average though.

The Tower of Zot is surprisingly small. It only has roughly five floors to it, and there's no hidden gimmicks like super-secret passages or invisible treasure. Just a floor, a few branching paths, and some chests. And enemies. The enemies were fine.

One interesting enemy is called the Soldier...ess? I mean that term doesn't even exist. A female soldier is a soldier, and is called as such.

Also their outfits are dumb. Just saying.

On the penultimate floor of the Tower, some strange women suddenly appear before us.

They're pretty evil. Also, they're The Magus Sisters! FF experts, do they appear in a previous game, or is this their first appearance? Because I only know them from their rather more insectoid appearance in FFX.

Anyway, so their Delta Attack, unlike in FFX, is far less deadly. All it involves is Sandy casting Reflect on Cindy, while Mindy bounces off that magic. I mean, it all sounds highly convoluted. They'd be better off just attacking.

Their 'killer' strategy is also easily dismantled.

So what I did here was silence Sandy so she fails to cast silence. Unfortunately for Cindy, Mindy doesn't realise this and casts a cool blizzara on her own ally.

Suffice to say it was all too easy. They were tripping themselves up with their strategy and that gave me plenty of time to just wail on them with my strongest attacks.

Gotta say I'm appreciating how status ailments play a factor more in this game. I've already had to use Slow, Break, and now Silence proves really useful.

Anyway, they're defeated, and we move on to the top floor.

Once we arrive, huge cutscene! We approach Golbez, demanding Rosa. He gives the classic villain response.

Tellah's had enough and finally decides to enact Super-Mega-Revenge-Plot. Let's see how that pans out.

Golbez develops a growth spurt between the cutscene and the battle. He positively dwarfs Tellah.

Well, I say 'battle', because unlike other plot battles we can't even do any actions. We just watch Tellah cast -ga tier spells like they were small gusts of wind.

Eventually Tellah decides to go for it and unleah Meteor. It's got a pretty badass animation.

This goes exactly how you'd expect.

Despite appearances, Golbez is actually slightly wounded from Meteor, causing his mind control of Kain to break.

Despite his injuries, Golbez opens a can of whoopass on Cecil but strangely decides to stay his hand for as-of-yet unknown reasons.

Golbez leaves us to grieve Tellah, who is clinging to life. Cue a sad cutscene, undercut by Cid's cartoonishly large mouth and voice.

And so that's the end of Tellah's revenge plot. As revenge plots goes, it was pretty obvious where it was going. His hate-filled revenge was never going to go well.

At least we didn't have several chapters of teen angst, like the other FF revenge plot I can recall.

Anyway, we wake up Kain, who is full of apologies and doubt about whether his actions were all mind-controlled or not.

We quickly scale the Tower to save Rosa.

I'd only just realised just how skimpy Rosa's outfit is. She's basically wearing undergarments with a nice flowy cape.

Anyway, the happy couple embrace.

Creepy.

Good ol' Cid here with the lampshade hanging.

Anyway, Kain explains his (also intensely creepy) motivations. "I just wanted you by my side, all tied up."

Now that we have Rosa and Kain back, I take the time to re-equip everyone and dole out some augments. I got three augments from Tellah, and I gave some of those to Yang. Rosa got Dualcast, so she can buff and heal more more efficiently.

Anyway, we no sooner enjoy this moment than the next archfiend appears: Barbariccia.

The main gimmick with this fight is when barbariccia enters her tornado form. Foreshadowed in the cutscene before the fight, our returning ally Kain is the only person who can break through the form. His Jump attack knocks her out of the potentially deadly form, disabling her from using her strongest attack.

All in all, another easy-ish fight. Honestly the main concern at this point is Rosa's astonishingly low health. Other than that, the fight was easy enough after Yang focused three times.

After the fight is ended, Barbariccia gloats that we won't be able to fight the fourth (and presumably strongest?) archfiend. That, and she decides to do the age-old trick of destroying the Tower. Rosa gets us out of a bind by casting Teleport and we land in Cecil's bedchambers. Case of Freudian Magic, perhaps?

Either way, Kain reveals a shocking surprise: turns out there's four Dark Crystals in the underworld, of all places.

What's this all for? Kain has some news for us as well:

So, Golbez's plan is to gather the crystals and go to the moon because... there's clearly something bigger at play here.

So our path is set: find a way into the underworld and capture the Dark Crystals before Golbez does. If I know my RPGs, I sense we'll ultimately try hard and fail to do so. No harm in trying though, right!

Tune in next time where we re-visit a place we've been to before, uncover the entrance to the underworld and say hello to yet another old friend.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Excellent update, glad Rosa is back!

Rest in RIP in peace Tellah

No earlier version, FFIV is the real Magus Sisters game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I see Spuuky's turned into my resident 'where did this monster appear' fact checker!

I can continue to serve this purpose until you move to a higher-numbered game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

In this episode of FFIV, Cecil and the others descend into the Underworld of the land to seek the Dark Crystals. We encounter an old friend and defeat some enemies! We also say 'lali-ho!' to the Dwarves, which would make a really harsh drinking game if you had to drink to each and every lali-ho.

So we start off in Cecil's bedchamber. The game doesn't really give you many hints as to where to go, and you're expected to ask around to find out that Agart is the place to go. Thankfully, I already visited Agart and found out about their Dwarven ancestry, earthquakes and general weirdness. Yup, definitely the place to go.

Sure enough, we visit Agart's big ol' well.

As is typical for Agart, weirdness happens.

You and me both, Cecil, you and me both.

Turns out the magma stone plot coupon we were just given has an effect in Agart, causing a surprisingly dramatic event to take place.

So uh... yeah apparently the magma stone causes a massive hole in the world. Seems legit.

We fly our Enterprise through the big hole and enter into another world: the Underground. It's pretty hot, just like the weather today.

Because we have the worst luck, we find outselves in the middle of a pitched battle.

Turns out Golbez couldn't wait to venture down beneath the land. But those tanks? They're new to me!

Anyway, because Cid is the worst pilot ever, he guides us right in the middle of this pitched battle. This goes about as well as you'd expect.

Well gee, I wonder why that is.

Anyway, we crash-land, thankfully not in the lava. Suffering from the intense heat, we work our way towards the only settlement in the area. I am shocked how Kain can even survive in full armour.

At least her stripperific outfit keeps her cool, I guess.

Anyway, we enter the castle. Look who it is, guys! DRINK!

And how. To save on screenshots I didn't screenshot every lali-ho but just play through this section to a lali-ho drinking game, talking to everyone, and tell me you won't get smashed by the time you leave.

We talk to the Dwarven King, who's pleased that we aren't currently ashes in the lava sea.

We ask for an update on the Dark Crystals. Sadly, Golbez already has two of them, one is right here and the other is in a place literally called the Sealed Cave. The Dwarves love those practical, straight-to-the-point names.

The King asks for Cid's airship to aid in the defence, so Cid leaves us to plate the Enterprise with mythril to protect against heat. So we're down to four once more.

Meanwhile, we enter the Crystal Chamber upon hearing a strange noise. Turns out somebody is spying on us!

As it happens, the super-secret hiding spot isn't so secure because the spy was already in the Crystal Chamber. Whoops. Doesn't anybody post guards in these rooms anymore?

Turns out creepy dolls are involved. Which I could guess from Chekov's statement as we entered the foyer before meeting the King:

Goddamn it, Luca.

Anyway, we fight the dolls. They have this very annoying strategy of merging to form one big doll which actually packs a pretty big punch, but the fight is more of a slog than anything else. Having Protect and Slow up at all times was a huge help. Kain basically stayed out of trouble by jumping all the time.

In the end, the dolls are defeated but not before letting Golbez know where we are. As if on cue, look who turns up, bringing all the sass with him.

Daaaayuum.

Golbez proceeds to do that thing only villains seem to do, which is show up and reveal their evil plan for the evulz.

He needs all the crystals, obviously. But to what end?

The moon has incredible power, and he wants it. As evil plans goes it seems simple enough. But we're here to stop him! Right guys?

Oh.

Well turns out the fight was unwinnable, so that's alright. Golbez continues to gloat as he downs the team. But look who's here to save the day?

It's Rydia! Well, actually, it's Adult!Rydia now. For some reason. I'm sure we'll find out. She proceeds to lay the beatdown on Golbez with just a little help from her friends.

I've got to say, the summon animations seem really cool. I'm impressed. Also this is the first time I have Ramuh as a summon in the FF series, so hello to him!

The fight is over, and Golbez is seemingly finished. Rydia stands with us. It's obviously we've got some catching up to do.

Tune out next time as we end on this cliffhanger. In the next episode, we finish up our reunion with Rydia, recieve some new instructions from the Dwarven King, and proceed to ignore them in favour of roaming the castle for goodies. You'll be surprised what's lurking in the castle!

Next episode will be tomorrow as I already have all the pictures ready. See you soon!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yaaay Rydia is back!

Articles
    Blog Entries

In this breather episode, we finish up with Rydia's arrival before exploring the Dwarven Castle for all kinds of surprises and secrets!

Where we left off, we had just finished defeating Golbez. With our backs turned, we listen to Rydia's story.

She also tells us that she can no longer use White Magic, but her Black Magic and Summoning Arts have really strengthened, which is convenient because Rosa is our resident White Mage.

Rydia also tells us that the Queen of the Feymarch warns of future events to come, prompting her to help Cecil and Kain despite what happened at Mist.

Heartwarming though this is, the team lets their guard down. Golbez was only faking it! He rises up and takes the Dark Crystal from under our noses! Grrr!

Why we didn't, I don't know, check he was dead, or at least tie him up, or surround him with guards, is beyond me. But nevermind, what's done is done.

The Dwarven King tells us that Golbez is heading to the Sealed Cave to get the last remaining Dark Crystal. However, we concoct a crazy plan to infiltrate Golbez's base of operations right here in the Underground: the Tower of Babil.

It is certainly an ambitious plan, but that's for laters. For now, let's get exploring!

First up, we visit the pub. As you do after a major boss battle. Inside, we encounter a drunken dwarf who also doubles as a dancer.

Also in the pub, we encounter Namingway.

Oh my.

We chat to Mopingway again, who turns irate at us for no reason whatsoever.

We enter into the easiest fight ever, effortlessly dispatching him. Thanks to our inspirational bitch-slap, Mopingway decides to get himself out of the gutter and improve his life! I'm sure we'll be seeing him again.

In a certain section of the castle, we enter a really strange place called the Developers' Office. It is a very strange place.

We talk to someone who affirms robbery.

Turns out these are all people who helped make the game. Each one has a little interaction that can go from amusing, to bizarre and back again.

Turns out if you reject Riezo, she turns into an incredibly difficult monster which is basically impossible to defeat.

In the graphics department...

Talking to everyone and fulfilling a few easy optional objectives gives us the 'Reach' augment, which does something. I don't know, I haven't looked at it yet. But that's cool!

In the basement, we learn that the Dwarves call the Fat Chocobo something rather different.

It's interesting they revere chocobos so much because from what I can tell there aren't any normal chocobos in the Underworld.

Finally, someone around here tells us a bit about what we might encounter in the Tower of Babil.

What's an Autarch?

Guess we'll find out in the next episode of FFIV as we infiltrate the Tower of Babil and try and steal all seven Dark Crystals. It's a bold move: will our heroes succeed? (probably not)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Go home Namingway, you're drunk

Articles
    Blog Entries

In this dark episode of FFIV, two more party members die in tragic circumstances. At this point, we might as well start placing bets on who it'll be next.

But that's for the thrilling climax! Before I started taking screenshots and actually, you know, play the game, I did some grinding. Didn't take so long, but now Rydia and Rosa have more health, which is a definite boon. Rydia started with sub-1000 HP, can you believe it? Now she's Level 42 and sports all the -ga spells, and combined with Bluff she can do some serious damage.

Grinding done, let's scale the Tower. As we approach, we start to hear some tank fire.

They stop firing just long enough for us to enter the main entrance without getting blasted to bits, so that's kind of them.

Inside, things seem... too quiet. Rosa also makes a comment about the design of the Tower. It seems very different from what else we've seen. The monsters though aren't so different, with only a few new ones. There's a Security Eye that summons a Flamehound when attacked - which at this point of the game is the toughest enemy - but with my ice weapons, they're a breeze.

So we go through the tower, picking up chests, fighting monsters, collecting our map bonuses. All exciting, standard dungeon stuff.

On the highest level though...

Rubicante! He gloats about sacking Eblan Castle for a bit with this Doctor Lugae character. He promptly takes off to do... something. Doctor Lugae seems very happy about this.

Rydia calling it how it is. Rosa quickly tells her to shh, but...

This is like an episode of Scooby-Doo.

We promptly get ourselves into a boss battle.

Just like an episode of Scooby-Doo, we've got a wacky doctor and his creation who comically misunderstands commands.

Anyway, this fight's easy. His creation goes down like the partially assembled mess it is. Doctor Lugae then ASSUMES DIRECT CONTROL of his creation and goes at us again.

Again, easy. Rydia just Thundaga's the smurf out of it.

Let's unmask the villain, like meddling kids!

GAH!

Doctor Lugae turns into whatever that is. The main gimmick in this fight is the use of reversal gas. This basically means that when it is in effect, attacks heal, and healing magic hurts. As long as you plan around this it isn't so bad and can even be useful: Rosa dual-casting Curaja is powerful.

Doctor Lugae falls for the final time, telling us the Crystals are in the even-more-upper levels on the surface. He also cackles about the cannons charging up to defeat the dwarves. Drat!

With Doctor Lugae's key, we rush to the cannon controls.

We beat up the goblin captains who are manning the cannons (Golbez's regime giving equal opportunities to monsters apparently). Despite the fact that we literally beat them in a fight, we allow them to scamper back up to the controls to activate them.

Yang steps in to save the day, and literally kicks us out the room so we

Of course, our characters aren't having it.

But alas, it's too late.

And another party member bites the dust.

Naturally, everyone is upset about this. And so am I, Yang was one of my top characters for fighting. So powerful.

We rush ourselves out of the tower, but as we exit, the strangely familar blue aura of doom surrounds us.

Uh-oh.

We scarper fast, what with the bridge crumbling from behind us.

We make a giant leap to Cid's awaiting airship.

But we're being caught up the Red Wings craft.

In this desperate situation (we've had a few of those this episode), Cid comes up with a solution.

Cid detonates his bomb and seals the entrance to the Underworld. Which seems fatal.

And another party member down. Gosh this game is rough.

We decide to head back to Baron, on Cid's final instructions. Flying back, the dwindling party looks resolute.

Tune in next time when we do... something. The game doesn't really give us much of a clue as to the next plot point. Suppose we'll head to Baron and find out!
    Last edited by Formalhaut; 06-05-2017 at 01:48 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

In this episode of FFIV, we rest up at Baron Castle and plot a way to enter the Tower of Babil once more, meeting a new party member along the way.

So when we last left off, we suffered a half-party wipe with both Yang and Cid dying to save the Dwarves and ourselves. At the last, Cid told us to head back to Baron.

Unsure of what to expect, we go speak to Cid's engineers.

This way we'll be able to reach our next destination, which is the Cave of Eblan. It's almost as if the engineers knew where I wanted to go next.

We get the upgrades and use the handy hook to retrieve our hovercraft, which is still right up by Mt. Hobs.

Rydia gets nostalgic about the hovercraft, apparently.

We fly southwest to Eblan. Remember how we ransacked Eblan Castle earlier in an optional jaunt? Well turns out the survivors are holed up in a cave not far from the Castle. It kinda makes you wonder how Golbez's forces haven't already found where they live, seeing how they occupy the one cave system in the entire continent here.

Sure enough, here they are, a five minute walk from the cave's entrance.

Cecil and the others restock and talk to the survivors.

I'm guessing we'll bump into this prince soon enough. He sounds nothing like Edward, that's for sure.

See, Eblan Castle fell because they didn't go into the Samurai job class and learn Shirahadori and become immune to all physical damage.

Elsewhere in this little cave, there's an equipment shop where we sell a lot of stuff we no longer need, like staves, claws and hammers that are no longer in use. And there's even an inn, though I'm not sure how many visitors they'd get.

Rested up, we enter the next section of the cave and open a ton of treasures in just two maps.

Once we reached the end...

Harsh burn.

Being the reckless guy he is, Edge enters into combat.

Not seen is Edge automatically using a fire attack against the Autarch of Flame.

This goes about as well as you'd expect.

Rubicante proceeds to flash us with his vulgar body and wreck Edge. He then leaves us to scold Edge for his stupidity. Edge still isn't happy.

Well Rydia isn't having none of that.

This makes Edge reconsider his stance, and he allows us to join him up the Tower of Babil

Rosa cures him.

With only Cura, even though she has Curaja at this point so that tells us how much Rosa values Edge's safety. Rydia is sceptical of this Edge as well.

Spoken by a child who rapidly aged up to be an adult!

Tune in next time as we scale the Tower of Babil once more!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Rosa's just conserving her MP!

The hovercraft looks teeny next to Rosa x)