Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Dragon Quest VIII on 3DS!

So who else is playing this? I got this on Friday and am now already heading towards Pickham. I now have a much better idea of what I'm doing, and combined with all those amazing qol changes (thanks, instant alchemy!), I am handling myself very well. In fact, I think I may be a bit overlevelled, since I think the battles actually yield more exp than previously to make up for the fact that the encounters aren't random anymore.

It's also one of these games where the screenshots and youtube footage really don't do it justice - DQVIII looks breathtaking on the 3DS and I'm so happy I can sink my teeth into it again!

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I also got it on Friday as this is one of my favorite Dragon Quest games. I am enjoying the additional content I ran into so far like the photo challenges. I also appreciate the levels being balanced because I recall in the original version the early game dragged on because all the grinding you had to do to have a chance once new characters joined the party. Now I am smooth sailing for the most part.

While the resolution is a bit iffy in spots and the draw distance can sometimes be off putting, overall the game looks great. Plus, one of the best Dragon Quest games to play whenever and wherever I want? Yes, please!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm also surprised with how well the constant map on the bottom screen from the beginning works. I was kind of skeptical of this idea at first, since having to rely on your surroundings was part of the original game's charm, but I find that now that I have the map constantly on, I go off the beaten path much more, see more stuff, and find more treasure.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Indeed. That's why game mechanics like that don't bug me too much. On one hand, it does kind of defeat the purpose of exploration if you see an entire area at once. On the other hand, it can encourage a player to explore like you said. As I recall none of the dungeons in Dragon Quest VIII are that complex (though most are well designed), so having the map there doesn't truly ruin the feeling of exploration.

I am also happy to see enemies on the map just like in the Dragon Quest VII remake. I like having the option to avoid battles (for the most part) or bum rushing everything on sight if I so choose. And again, the level balancing makes me feel that I am not obligated to bum rush since it is much better in this version. Plus, it's actually cool to develop an over strategy of what battles you participate in once you familiarize yourself with an area. However, you can still be caught off guard by other monsters appearing along with the ones you know you'll encounter, so the element of surprise is still intact.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes! The symbol encounters are such a good addition! Not to mention metal slime hunting is now much easier because of it

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I have talked about it for year, and payday I think I may pick up a 3DS and this would be the game I buy for it first! Loved the original, and the 3DS will allow me to get more JRPGs. Yup it is decided.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Great idea! The 3DS has a lot of amazing JRPGs for you to play, so you'll definitely get your money's worth!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So my hero is almost level 29 and I haven't even reached Baccarat yet. Jessica has so many skill points invested in staves that the game doesn't allow her to put more into it at this level. And when I go into the Battle Records, King Trode keeps making passive-aggressive statements about how those who focus on training too much fail to see the bigger picture.

I think the game is trying to tell me that I'm a bit overleveled.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    I have talked about it for year, and payday I think I may pick up a 3DS and this would be the game I buy for it first! Loved the original, and the 3DS will allow me to get more JRPGs. Yup it is decided.
    The 3DS is a great system with plenty of games for it now. When you get it, make sure you get one of the later versions of it. I ended up being bought the original for Christmas when it got first released, which meant I missed out on things like the XL version, or the New 3DS. The New 3DS comes with a stronger CPU, another stick, and other changes that means some games can only be played on the New 3DS.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pretty much the only New 3DS exclusive game released in the West is Xenoblade Chronicles which, while an amazing game, is also available on the Wii. So if you don't have a Wii, getting a New 3DS is pretty much a no-brainer.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I think tomorrow I am able to pick one up after work. I think...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I got the two new characters and, as expected, I;m not using them at all. I find that the team you get throughout the game works really well together and the two new additions come very late, but at the same time, the way experience works - in that anyone benched gets all the experience anyway, whether you can swap them in at a given point or not - still makes it flexible enough for me not to suffer any consequences if I ever DO decide to swap them in.

The original four work so well, though!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I've been going slower because of general real life business and playing Dark Souls on the side, so I have not got to that point yet. However, I am SO DAMN RELIEVED that who ever is benched gets EXP. I HATE when RPGs punish players like that for no damn reason.

Ugh I need to start this. I got it in the mail a week or so ago and it's just sat there since.

I need to finish VII first though