Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think is the most annoying segment of any FF game?

I don't really like when Yuffie steals our materias in FFVII (I'm not a fan of Yuffie to begin with, so maybe that's for that).

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFI: Elfland, one giant fetch quest/chain of deals with no plot significance and it all happens when the game decides to crank up the difficulty, introduce poison status, and jack up all prices. Not a fan.

FFII: Hunting down the masks to get into Ultima Tower. Boring quest, with awful dungeons and it's ultimately just padding for the game.

FFIII: Honestly? The last stretch of the game with the triple threat dungeon (four dungeons if you do Eureka as well) and death is painful with the games limited save options.

FFIV: Tower of Babil and the Sylph cave.

FFV: Probably the Pyramid and some of the early sections of the last world. It was kind of easy to see the team was running out of ideas around then.

FFVI: Mt. Kolts and chasing down the Espers in Thamasa.

FFVII: Cosmo Canyon and pretty much everything after Disc 1.

FFVIII: Esthar and pretty much the rest of the game.

FFIX: The entire quest to find entry into Terra.

FFX: Everything between leaving Luca until you reach Zanarkand. If I had to pick one specific point, Mihen Highroad, and Operation Mi'hen

FFXI: The long hours of reading the Wiki to actually figure out how to do anything.

FFXII: The Great Crystal or the Yensa Sandsea.

FFXIII: The whole damn game.

FFXIV: Listening to my friends rave about it and how I should check it out despite my many admissions of not being big on MMO games.

FFXV: Everything before Titan, the early chapters are seriously light on plot.

FFTactics: Chapter 4, when the Lucavi plotline overtakes the actual good part of the story.

Tactics Advance: The early game when very little happens.

TA2: The Story missions in general.

FFVII, the Northern Crater Whirlwind Maze. There's that part where you have to dash through the wind and lightning and some energy thing or something? I can never get the timing right.When you get it wrong, you get knocked back and forced into an encounter.

This is no joke in hard mods. Constantly getting forced into battles before a boss is bad, bad news.

FFX blitzball and the calm lands. Both annoying.

Thunder Plains in Final Fantasy X. I'm terrible at dodging the lightning bolts. Never fails to get me cursing at the screen.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

I hate to say it, but the tutorials of every game and just how the first 30 minutes or more of an FF game seem to be visiting what's new in the game, or dumbing down the game for brand new fans to get a feel of the gameplay. Now I know I like having a heads up and practice on new aspects of the game, but sometimes its repetitive and I just like to get into the action to figure out what I'm doing.
    I'm a water dude, jet skis, water pools
    Surfin' the (waaaave), I'm hurtin' the (waaaave)...
    "Oh Yes" ~ Juelz Santana

Sitting through 10 minute unskippable cutscenes before a boss battle in FFX. Also the mandatory blitzball match, smurf blitzball.

Any time I had to grind in IX, because the battle system is already ungodly slow and tedious enough without adding grinding on top of that. Also that one dungeon you weren't allowed to use any magic in.

Anything to do with Rinoa in VIII. smurf Rinoa.

Chocobo racing and breeding in VII. Enough said.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the stupid card game tournament in IX.
    Last edited by Example; 07-27-2017 at 01:42 AM.

I fear the Great Crystal in Final Fantasy XII.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Of the games I've played a lot/know well:

VII: smurfing Kalm flashback. No, I know it's not an original answer, but it's an hour of the game coming to a screeching halt and just being STUCK. The flashback is boring as smurf. It's the worst, dude.

VIII: Literally all of it. Worst game I've ever played. And I played Shadow of the Colossus.

IX: Love this game though I do, Dali is smurfing dire and it takes way too long. Honestly, really, the first disc up until you leave Lindblum is a huge slog.

X: Luca. JESUS it's just boring, ugly, and forcing you to play Blitzball is a cardinal sin. It's amazing how much better the game gets after Luca. Also the Calm Lands. Basically my exact same criticism for Luca, minus the Blitzball.

XIV: Titan storyline/Company of Heroes. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Cloister of Trials in FFX was bad. I hated them and their irritating music only made me more annoyed.

Also the infamous Chapter 13 in FFXV. Apparently they patched it to make it less of a godawful terrible troutshow, but you only get one chance to make a first impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Of the games I've played a lot/know well:

VII: smurfing Kalm flashback. No, I know it's not an original answer, but it's an hour of the game coming to a screeching halt and just being STUCK. The flashback is boring as smurf. It's the worst, dude.

VIII: Literally all of it. Worst game I've ever played. And I played Shadow of the Colossus.

IX: Love this game though I do, Dali is smurfing dire and it takes way too long. Honestly, really, the first disc up until you leave Lindblum is a huge slog.

X: Luca. JESUS it's just boring, ugly, and forcing you to play Blitzball is a cardinal sin. It's amazing how much better the game gets after Luca. Also the Calm Lands. Basically my exact same criticism for Luca, minus the Blitzball.

XIV: Titan storyline/Company of Heroes. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?
    That's the first time I've seen any negativity towards Shadow of the Colossus.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Definatly the sandsea in ffxii. Its boring as hell. This is annoying because everytime ive tried to play the game again I always give up around here. A big blight on a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    Definatly the sandsea in ffxii. Its boring as hell. This is annoying because everytime ive tried to play the game again I always give up around here. A big blight on a great game.
    That's around the point where I dropped the game too. I'm pretty sure I was extremely underleveled by that point, hence I was getting my trout wrecked by all the tomato plant monsters, which meant I had to skip almost every fight in the entire area. Then the giant bird boss battle at the end proved to be unwinnable without first completing a sidequest all the way back at the beginning of the area, and there was no way I was backtracking through all that trout all over again.