Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Let's Play the BEST GAME EVER!!! (FFIX)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Let's Play the BEST GAME EVER!!! (FFIX)

So as some of you may know, FINAL FANTASY IX IS THE GREATEST GAME IN EXISTENCE. Okay, that's a bit subjective, but it's a super solid RPG and really the game that got me as in to the genre, and video games in general. I wouldn't be where I am now without this game. It was always there for me in good times and bad and yada yada it has a special place in my heart, blah blah, ~*~MAJESTIC~*~

So here we go, Imma play some FFIX for yous guises! Enjoy
    (SPOILER)

I am soooooo hype. This is the Steam version so I am excite to see what they've improved.

So we start off with a cutscene involving a ship being tossed around the raging seas. The camera zooms in finally for us to see a woman and a young girl.

As you can see, the real-time graphics are done by Akira Fujii. Thank you Mr. Fujii.

Alas, twas all but a dream and we are greeted to the face of a beautiful princess awakening from her slumber and opening up the windows to the kingdom below. Queendom, I guess.

Don't compare those two images too hard.

So anyway, we learn who did the character modeling while an airship sails in to the kingdom.

On it, we take control for the first time of a monkey-tailed young man.

Ugh, dem graphics. I know some people have already seen the crisper, cleaned up graphics by playing on emulators but this is my first time not playing it on the PS1 discs and it is AMAZING. I can actually see Cinna's ugly mug!

I am all butterflie-y all over again.

I figure in the interest of being open, I will let you all know that I am doing the max gil option in the game. I've played it many times before, I'll still be grinding, I didn't do the levels or abilities or any of that. But dang it if I don't want to be rich! I didn't change much else, just sped up the battles and a few other preference based options.

Here is our young mystery man:

So after poking around the airship while the game harasses me to light a candle, we get some info!

Afterwards, we finally light the candle and are greeted by 3 dudes. We now get to choose our name.

I normally name my characters in this game other things, but with the Let's Play I'll just stick to default.

Note: The game may or may not have already lied to you.

I am liking the new name input screen, looks pretty smooth.

After naming our character, our little group is attacked by a weirdo in a dragon mask.

To battle! Which means stealing for 15 minutes while Cinna dies.

For those of you who are not familiar with the game, it means stealing for 15 minutes while Cinna dies.

After the battle we get laughed at by this jackass and rounded up in to the meeting room. It is time for... THE PLAN!

How will we accomplish this? By posing as a theater troupe!

Now anyone who has played this game knows that this is the point when you troll the Boss by repeatedly asking if you're supposed to kidnap Queen Brahne.

Keep doing it for about 15 minutes AAAAAAANNNNDDD

Ruby shows up and you get one extra line of dialogue!

Worth it.

After finally confirming the actual kidnap target, the Prima Vista docks in Alexandria, revealing the best character in the best game:

*hype intensifies*

Oh, also the logo and whatevs

We now get to take control of the cute little dude I just showed you. He is immediately bumped in to and falls over, upon which a nice little girl returns to him his dropped ticket.

The grace. The dignity.

Tip for beginners: Instead of walking forward when you take control of the little dude, exit the screen behind you for a whole other area.

So we quickly learn that a play is going on in Alexandria (the one Tantalus is performing) and the nobles have come to watch it while the peasants scrimp and save to maybe afford a ticket to the show. Most watch from the rooftops.

Also, some more info:

Good Guy FFIX acknowledging the historical contributions of women.

Tip for beginners: Search around the walls and such to find hidden treasures!

Here's our new fella, by the way, Best Character McGee:

And upon exploring, we find more info:

There will be a quiz. I also get to suck at jump rope, yay! I'm not used to using a keyboard for this game. That is the only reason I am not good at the jump rope mini-game.

The ONLY reasons

Tip for beginners: Make sure to explore the whole city before going to the ticket booth!

So after exploring and stealing Hippaul's secret treasure, we head to the ticket booth for some info dump:

It is finally time to show our ticket but it turns out...

And that's how we didn't get away with forgery.

Anyway, we run in to a rat-faced kid who bumped in to us earlier and he has a proposition for us.

That sounds reasonable! So with our help, the rat-faced kid steals a ladder.

Tip for beginners: Stick around in the alley for a second to meet Alleyway Jack who will teach you about a card game. Don't linger for too long though or he'll steal some of your gil.

After learning about cards from Gilgaaaaaaaa......lleyway Jack, we head back to the rat kid who sends us up the bell tower, which is interrupted when a Moogle falls on us.

We get to meet our first moogle friend and also see Stiltzkin, the great traveling moogle!

The moogles act as your save points and also

We get to deliver mail for the moogles !

I'm going to stop here for now because it's 2 am on a Tuesday, but gosh I love this game.

Will Tantalus kidnap the Princess? Will the point-hat boy get to see the play? Tune in next time!!
    Last edited by Pumpkin; 03-03-2017 at 04:25 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I sooo want to follow this but I haven't played FFIX yet!

"Let's play the BEST GAME EVER!!!"

Oh, boy, here we go. We haven't even started and I'm gonna be having an argument!

"-(FFIX)"

...Oh, OK, you actually are using the best game ever. That's cool, please continue about your business!

Wow, I never knew you could get an extra line by trolling Baku hahaha. I know about the save moogle but it never occurred to me to try it here. I love this game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I would so do this with you, but I have no working controllers right now.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

We're back with our pointy-hated friend, following after the rat faced boy who leads us to the rooftops.
    (SPOILER)

Indeed we are, luckily the boy has some reassuring words for us

So anyway, as we continue to follow him, we realize we haven't made introductions yet!

And now we have a name for the best character ever!

And puck.

Beginner tip: Explore the rooftops for extra treasures!

Finally the show begins and Vivi and Puck manage to sneak their way in

Queen Brahne is rather excited for the celebration.

Not everyone, however, is showing the same enthusiasm.

That's one sad princess.

Look at this goob.

The play begins but I won't show you much of it because go play the game!!!! IT'S SUPER GOOD!!!

Basically at some point we have a sword duel.

And gosh was it harder on the keyboard for me. I'm so used to the PlayStation controller. I got a decent score the second time around though:

So anyway, Zidane and Blank make their exit stage left and begin to put their kidnapping scheme in to action.

However, on the way, Zidane runs in to a hooded-girl whom he immediately begins to shamelessly flirt with.

Smooooth operator~

When Blank shows up to ask what's going on, the girl takes the opportunity to bolt it.

Zorn and Thorn, the court jesters, aka the video game characters my boyfriend despises most in the world, let General Beatrix know that Garnet is in trouble. Beatrix informs the queen.

She orders Beatrix and

And Captain memorable here

Steiner, to retrieve the Princess at one. Steiner, being the Captain of the Knights of Pluto, orders his troops to assemble.

Unfortunately only two show up and they happen to be in their undies.

And now we begin to search for the Princess!

Beginner tip: Try to find all of the Knights. If you do you'll get a nice reward. Also, when you report them in, take note of what is said about each, it will come in handy later on.

Here is our handy dandy list of knights to find. I do find them all. I won't show you every one but let's just say that most aren't super enthused about their jobs.

This one with the patch face and no name is not sketchy at all!

Also who is this goofy goof?

Beginner tip: Go see Brahne again during your search for an item!

After searching around, Steiner finally finds the Princess being hounded by a ne'er-do-well.

Just as Zidane is about to catch her, she kills herself by jumping off of the castle tower.

And thus ends our story.

Really though, she's just fine and Zidane goes after her.

Steiner attempts the same trick only to go crashing in to the Prima Vista.

Garnet escapes in to the airship, knocking in to Ruby along the way.

Zidane comes along shortly, only to be blocked by Ruby who needs to vent about the Princess' rude behaviour.

Zidane finally catches up with the hooded girl.

OH-EM-GEE IT'S THE PRINCESS WHAT A TWIST

That is a bit more of a surprise though.

And that's how babies are made~

Their chat session is interrupted by Cinna, who leads them to an escape hatch just as Steiner busts in looking for Garnet.

He is joined by one of his knights who conveniently gets stuck in the escape hatch trying to chase after them.

Beginner tip: While escaping through the engine room, turn the wheel on the engine for extra treasures!

Unfortunately for us, Steiner finds a way to cut us off anyway. On the brightside, the sketchy knight was actually Blank in disguise!

A boss battle ensues during which Cinna almost dies again and then Steiner slashes the armour off of Blank, revealing the oglop bugs Blank was hiding in there.

Thankfully for us, everyone hates oglops.

It doesn't take long for the others to catch up, so we're stuck heading up to the stage and improvising the play.

Meanwhile, Vivi and Puck are enjoying the show when the guards notice them where they shouldn't be and begin to chase them around. Vivi trips and Puck ditches him, so Vivi has to run on stage, where he casts a fire spell to defend himself. Sadly, the Princess is in the way and her hood catches on fire. She flings it off, blowing everyone's cover.

Always quick on the uptake, that Steiner. Garnet tells him to leave her alone, but he doesn't listen.

Another boss fight ensues, after which the Tantalus theater troop prepares to take off with the Princess.

Queen Brahne does not take kindly to this and orders the Prima Vista to be fired on.

Explosions and stuff

Eventually she fires a Bomb, meaning an actual Bomb enemy at the ship.

It looks much more impressive there than in the game itself. Steiner keeps trying to fight us while we try and convince him that there is a bomb behind him that's going to explode.

The battle menu is different. It's not bad, but I'm not fully sure what I think of it yet. Anyway, finally the Bomb grows large enough to blow up and Steiner FINALLY notices it.

Another explosion happens, but thankfully the Prima Vista makes it out.

Brahne is quite upset.

The Prima Vista doesn't make it out without issue, however.

And it makes a crash landing in a nearby forest.

There's Zorn and Thorn in the background. And here is the state of the Prima Vista:

It'll probably buff out.

Cinna and the rest of Tantalus are ordered to put out fires and make sure everyone is okay, but they unfortunately can't find the Princess.

Zidane had been thrown off during the impact, but quickly reunites with Cinna to get an idea of the situation.

Meanwhile, we are shown our first Active Time Event, which depicts scenes of what's going on elsewhere with our other characters.

And that's where we will end for today after that hectic opening. Tune in next time!
    Last edited by Pumpkin; 03-03-2017 at 04:25 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't think Umineko is particularly suited for Let's Playing tbh.

But Final Fantasy IX works =P

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Welcome to the Evil Forest~!
    (SPOILER)

When we left off, Zidane left in search of the princess. Well, we do find her. Sort of. Steiner is also there.

This leads to a battle which introduces the largely useless Trance system.

Trance leads to an increase of abilities that varies from character to character. The bummer is that it activates when your Trance gauge fills after being hit so many times, and you can't save it. So usually it will activate on some random encounter when you don't even need it. Anyway, in this fight and the next one, the monster drains the HP of the character so you'll need to keep them healed. After defeating this thing the first time, it runs off with Garnet.

Afterwards, it comes right back to snatch up Vivi. Fortunately, Vivi can defend himself by casting Fire from the inside of the creature.

Vivi is pretty rad.

Just to add insult to injury though, after the thing is killed it decides to poisonously fart on everyone.

Zidane luckily... backflips... over the gas but the other two aren't so fortunate. Vivi ends up bedridden back at the Prima Vista whereas Steiner gets locked in a storage room.

Blank goes to Vivi to administer him some magical medicine.

After hearing that creepy news, Vivi understandably asks if he's going to die.

The answer is yes, Vivi, we all die eventually.

(I just summed up Vivi's entire story in one sentence. You're welcome.)

Steiner is also given some magical medicine, which is finds highly suspect.

In the end though, he decides its worth the risk.

Zidane, meanwhile, is talking to Boss Baku about rescuing the Princess. Baku, however, decides to prioritize his men and get the heck out of the Evil Forest ASAP.

We get some ATE's around this time:

Ruby is left behind,

Steiner finds a Garnet doll,

SHE'S 16 NOW SHE JUST HAD HER BIRTHDAY, he feels the need to explain to himself.

And Cinna, meanwhile

Zidane goes to pay a visit to Vivi.

Zidane disagrees with Vivi's harsh self-criticism and compliments his fire conjuring skills.

This conversation leads Zidane to an inner debate about whether or not he should go against the Boss and get Garnet back.

Beginner tip: After the flashback to how Zidane met Garnet, choose not to go after her for a second scene.

Zidane, renewed in his resolve to save the Princess, decides to venture back in to the Evil Forest.

Turns out that Baku was actually expecting this to happen and waits for Zidane.

Predictably, this leads to a fight:

After winning the fight and getting punched in the gut, Baku gives his blessings.

The next order of business is to recruit Steiner to the cause.

Things are off to a good start.

Zidane, being the tactful gentleman he is, proceeds to insult Steiner by calling him Rusty.

(The sound of Steiner's armour clanking is the best, btw.)

Steiner makes it clear he won't work with thieving kidnapping... thieves, when Zidane explains that this is something he's doing on his own.

He eventually convinces Steiner to come along.

Steiner, from the get-go, has a strong respect for Vivi. So off to see out little black mage friend!

While Vivi is still hard on himself, the other two assure him that his Black Magic is an invaluable asset to them.

Zidane and Steiner are friends!

After convincing Vivi to help out, Steiner pulls him aside with a request:

And thus we gain an invaluable skill for the next boss battle.

On our way out, Blank decides to give us a ribbing.

Turns out he is not jealous, but actually wanted to give us some medicine in case we get plant-monster inseminated again. As you do.

After getting Blank's version of a blessing, we set off in to the Evil Forest again. But not before mail time!

Yay!

So anyways, we head in to the forest and get a little ATE where the Tantalus band starts playing to improve moral.

Then we come across a small clearing in the woods where we can relax and take a breather.

Fun fact: I did not run in to a single random encounter in this forest. Not one. Before and after this point. Making me paranoid.

Beginner tip: You can recover HP/MP at the spring the moogle was drinking from.

Speaking of moogles, MAIL TIME AGAIN!

Beginner tip: Make sure you select Mognet from the moogle menu more than once in order to get everything!

And another ATE of Tantalus getting ready for their departure:

After leaving the forest clearing and STILL NOT GETTING IN ANY FIGHTS, we get a sneak peak at the boss:

Which we then get to fight! (Yes, it looks much more impressive in the FMV.)

Beginner tip: Fire and that magic sword skill come in handy this fight!

After a little bit, Blank comes in to join the fight as well!

This fight took me a while because of the stealing, but since I used Focus on Vivi a ton of times, it actually only took two hits to beat it. Not too shabby!

Beginner tip: Focus is broken. Use it.

Garnet starts to come to, but we're unfortunately not out of the woods (teehee) yet.

These weird thangs start to chase us and the forest starts to attack us.

Not only that but the forest starts to petrify.

Zidane is almost caught by a plant monster before Blank shoves him out of the way.

Dat ass.

Blank is unfortunately caught but as Zidane is running away, he throws the map at his friend, who is reluctant to leave him, ensuring that Zidane gets it.

The Evil Forest soon petrifies, as does our poor friend Blank

Zidane is understandably upset but gets a camp started for Garnet and the others. After being fussed at by Steiner for being dastardly and not morally upstanding, Garnet comes to.

Steiner fusses more.

Garnet tells Steiner to stop fussing and that she wanted to be kidnapped. Steiner doesn't believe it!

He does agree that he will keep watch over the camp though in the name of protecting the Princess, but he and Zidane argue about what to do next. Zidane suggests resting because Garnet hasn't recovered her full strength, whereas Steiner wants to get going because they're low down topographically, meaning they're surrounded by dangerous mist. This is called the Mist Continent by the way.

Zidane and Garnet talk about Blank's sacrifice.

In the morning, we set off, but not before a moogle friend shows up.

This flute allows us to save our game anywhere on the world map! It also has unlimited uses, so go crazy!

Beginner tip: Literally go crazy with it. Your moogle friend will get increasingly less and less patient with you if you call many many times in a row without actually saving or doing anything. Try it out!

With our flute in hand, we set off for the cavern!

Tune in next time~
    Last edited by Pumpkin; 03-03-2017 at 04:26 AM.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Dat moogle will murder you!

I actually found it easier on the PC version to get 100 out of 100

Also if you had a corded xbox controller, you can plug it in and play the game with a controller. It makes it sooo much easier

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wow as if you would just ask me if I have a corded xbox controller

I'm a lady, how rude

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

SEE IF I TRY TO HELP AGAIN

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Dat moogle will murder you!

I actually found it easier on the PC version to get 100 out of 100

Also if you had a corded xbox controller, you can plug it in and play the game with a controller. It makes it sooo much easier
    I play basically all my games on PC (not that I play many, mind) with a plug-in controller. It feels much more natural than having to use key-bindings. I pretty much only play The Sims with a keyboard and mouse.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I HOPE YOU'RE FOLLOWING THIS LP FORMY

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh, I will be! I just saw the last comment and thought I'd answer. I'll give an in-depth reading of it now!

Which reminds me. I need to update my FFIV LP. How do you take screenshots in Steam, by the way? I've never figured it out.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think you press like F12 or something but I just printscreen and paint