Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Han Solo Movie

I actually really liked it, it was the most fun I've had with a Star Wars movie since the original trilogy. Which is honestly kinda sad now that I think about it.
    Last edited by Example; 06-09-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought it was pretty boring for a Star Wars movie. If I'm honest, the movies action scenes were dull and not as exciting as far as action movies go. The plot points of Qi'Ra's (Emilia Clarke's) story and why she was so beholden to the organisation she worked for needed more explanation.

(SPOILER)I had to literally explain to my friend who I saw it with the whole "Darth Maul is alive" aspect of the plot as someone who had only watched the movies and not immersed themselves in the universe fully would have had no clue that Darth Maul was alive.

If you're watching just the movies it makes the timeline make no sense. As it makes the events in Solo seem prior to the events of Episode 1 which means the presence of the Imperial forces very strange as they would be in existence some 20 years too soon.

I saw Force Awakens, Rogue One and Last Jedi in theaters, and was disappointed by all 3, so I won't be giving Disney more money in the theater for their SW films. I think the least disappointing was Rogue One, but it was at its best when it wasn't really trying to be a Star Wars movie - it could have been a generic sci-fi film and probably would've been as good. I'm not even interested in Episode IX - I might not get around to watching it at all even after a home release. The best non-original trilogy Star Wars media for me was probably KOTOR. At some point I mean to read the Thrawn trilogy as well, because the EU novels interest me much more than the current Disney timeline.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    (SPOILER)I had to literally explain to my friend who I saw it with the whole "Darth Maul is alive" aspect of the plot as someone who had only watched the movies and not immersed themselves in the universe fully would have had no clue that Darth Maul was alive.

If you're watching just the movies it makes the timeline make no sense. As it makes the events in Solo seem prior to the events of Episode 1 which means the presence of the Imperial forces very strange as they would be in existence some 20 years too soon.
    So they scrap the EU, invent a silly new reason for the Death Star flaw, CGI in a dead actor, and now they've screwed up the timeline for the start of the Empire.

The new films feel like they're just appropriating the OT's visual style while completely losing the heart of what made those movies great - plus they clearly don't have any respect for the original continuity either.
    Last edited by Vincent, Thunder God; 06-11-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

It was better than The Last Jedi. I'll give it that.

I honestly can't believe I enjoyed it as much as I did. It wasn't thrilling, but it was more enjoyable than The Last Jedi. I am really curious to know what kind of train wreck it originally was that they had to replace the director and rework it.

As it stands for me: The Force Awakens = Rogue One >> Solo >> The Last Jedi

What bothers me, though, and I first felt this in The Last Jedi, is that it appears they're creating loose threads in these movies intentionally to feed the new EU canon. Which is a really crappy thing to do considering many people watch only the movies and it makes it a weaker and more confusing experience for them. I'm all for story arcs across films, but if it can't stand alone then it falters.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent, Thunder God View Post
    So they scrap the EU, invent a silly new reason for the Death Star flaw, CGI in a dead actor, and now they've screwed up the timeline for the start of the Empire.

The new films feel like they're just appropriating the OT's visual style while completely losing the heart of what made those movies great - plus they clearly don't have any respect for the original continuity either.
    (SPOILER)Maul was shown to have survived in the Clone Wars TV series, which is still canon to the films.

Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent, Thunder God View Post

(SPOILER)Maul was shown to have survived in the Clone Wars TV series, which is still canon to the films.
    (SPOILER)I was referring more to Steve's comment that the movie seems to be set before Episode 1, and that in it the Empire is already formed. I haven't actually seen the Han Solo movie, so if it's set after the Clone Wars I guess that makes more sense. In early versions of the Episode 3 script Lucas was going to have Han on Kashyyyk as a young boy, so I guess if Han is a young adult in this movie it's post-Episode 3 pre-Episode 4.

I still feel though that things like inventing a new reason for the Death Star flaw in Rogue One are kind of lame and ring false to me.
    Last edited by Vincent, Thunder God; 06-19-2018 at 05:08 PM.