Thread: Ethnicity of Final Fantasy characters

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It also doesn't help that white is also the absence of pigment so a black and white manga character or a simple stick figure is just going to appear white due to the lack of shading in the drawing. White is just a terrible word to describe people of European descent.

As for a serious answer to this topic, I don't associate the FF characters with being white or Asian or any other race of Earth since those areas don't exist in the FF worlds. They are whatever race exists in that world. Some of them are different races in that world, some of them are the same. Different races of homo sapiens has never really been the focus of FF and the racial tension in those games tends to be more between very distinguishable groups (Espers vs. humans, whatever race Zidane was vs. humans) where skin color or facial features have not been a factor.

I will say that I was thrown aback in FFX at first when Tidus and Yuna had very distinct Asian features, particularly in the FMVs, but that was mostly due to my lack of exposure to Asian people up until that point and that graphics didn't really allow for that kind of distinction before then other than having the token black character. I don't feel that way any more and I appreciate when Japanese games actually feature characters that look Japanese and don't hide the fact that the game takes place in Japan. It's not weird when Americans do it so it shouldn't be weird when anyone does it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I think to them (the Japanese) they do look East Asian, Del Murder. Maybe to us, not so. With how many people who still think anime characters look white in the west it is just a matter of perception.
    ღმერთის შვილი შეეხო და მითხრა, რომ ანგელოზთა ფეხები მომეხია.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I've seen this before and while there's some truth there, it's also pretty easy some flaws.

For instance, people think Marge is white because she, and her family who are the same color as her, live in a community with people who are not white (and are represented by other skin tones) and speak with an accent and lexicon associated with white people. This is an extremely justifiable belief and runs very counter to the example they want to present.

The "foreigners" are clearly marked in anime (sometimes) by blonde hair, long noses, etc - but they have the same skin tone as the "Japanese" characters. This is pretty compelling evidence to see the "Japanese" characters as also being white, or at least drawn to look like white people.

I agree with that comment on Marge. If they wanted to do the same thing they should've picked the cast of Doug, but anyone who's not in Doug's fam.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Also with the Simpsons they have black and asian characters drawn and represented distinctly different from the yellow characters, and real life white celebrities who have been shown on the show have all been yellow.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Actually has the Simpsons ever had a Latino character other than the Bumblebee man?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Dr. Nick!