View Poll Results: Which battle system do you prefer?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Turn-Based

9 45.00%
  • ATB

11 55.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you prefer turn-based or ATB combat?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Default Do you prefer turn-based or ATB combat?

I know there's many other ways of having a battle system that you may well think are better, but of the two options presented above which do you enjoy the most? What do you like about it?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like both, honestly, since they offer different things. I've seen turn-based utilized in a variety of interesting ways, tbh, but I do really appreciate the originality of ATB.

Since there is no "both" or "neither" option, I'll go with turn-based simply due to its versatility.

Turn based!

I used to count myself among the ATB fans, but playing them now with a critical eye I really dislike it. The ATB is like that ladder in MGS3. You know the one. It's just a period of 'dead' time that exists with no specific purpose. I like the ladder sequence, but I wouldn't like it if I had to climb it after killing every enemy. That's what the ATB feels like to me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's because you're using FFIX as your point of referencje

FFIV, X-2, and XII is where ATB shines, imo, as you really have to think how to manage these turns in real time. Taking away the charge times from V onwards really killed it, IMO, but then X-2 brought them back with a vengeance and ATB got exciting again. And then FFXII did something really fresh and new with it which was great.

XIII had a neat idea (actions costing only part of the gauge? great, fun idea in theory), but the execution really left a lot to be desired.

Articles

Going off on a tangent, but as someone who used to speedrum MGS3 the ladder is both a blessing and a curse. You were screwed in that no matter what you did, you couldn't cut that corner. But you could put the controller down, use your toe (yes I did this) to climb and rest your hands for a bit. And the song. The song!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I like ATB, makes it so I can't sit and think and calculate my moves. I gotta make a move or oh no!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I did put turn-based down, primarily because I sometimes take forever agonising over a decision. I will say though that ATB with wait mode is a very good compromise, and I really enjoyed FFX-2's combat system.

Articles

What did you all like about X-2's ATB?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not only did it reintroduce charge times, it also added cool-downs, in a way - depending on the last action executed, the bar could be extended or shortened, which further added to strategy. Also, you could have the girls attack all at once to chain attacks and increase damage, so that was cool. Made the whole thing way more dynamic.

I will say X-2 pulled it off very well. If more ATBs were like that I may reconsider my vote

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, it's just the PSX era where ATB is noticeably stale. It was fine at the time, since we were all too busy being in awe of the 3D battles, but as I replayed them recently, the shift from sprites to models really made the battles slow. Thankfully, X-2 fixed that

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Honestly, it's just the PSX era where ATB is noticeably stale. It was fine at the time, since we were all too busy being in awe of the 3D battles, but as I replayed them recently, the shift from sprites to models really made the battles slow.
    I agree with this. I hate to mention that one mobile game you don't like again, but that also uses ATB and I've never found the downtime slow, indeed I don't get downtime unless everyone is asleep or dead and it's usually frantic as all hell. I am wondering if that's because there are five characters to juggle as opposed to the typical three of the PSX era.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm playing FFIV now and I've never played with five characters before and it has certainly made battles more complex. I definitely needed Wait mode for that though, can you imagine playing active on that? Sheesh.

With FFX-2, I really liked the varying bar length and the charge times. It also made caster types more viable by not having them have to sit through both a green and purple bar per cast of fire. Instead, they can just spam magic moves and rely on the charge bar.

It did make rushing to get Black Magic Lvl. 3 and especially White Magic Lvl. 3 all the more important, though. I'm not waiting an age to pop off an emergency curaga.

FFXII also did well with the ATB. It made items way more viable (though FFX-2 gave items the alchemist, one of the best dresspheres in the game) by giving them an instant use. I liked how different weapon types had different charges, and while my favourite weapon type (the gun) had the slowest charge, I did appreciate the balancing mechanic.

The only thing I didn't like was the effect capacity which made most high-tier spells pretty useless, but that's a mechanical constraint of the PS2 which TZA won't have so I'm super happy.

Turn-based is ATB's daddy so of course.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I enjoy the ATB as a programmer of not so great JRPG's, as it allows me to think of neat spells and things that give speed some use besides they get to go first.

However the turn based wait and take your time has merit too for those who are playing for the story more then the battles.