Page 12 of 59 FirstFirst ... 267891011121314151617182232 ... LastLast

Thread: EoFF Mafia XXVIII Game Thread - Banquet of the Voyager Witches

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

So if they are cynical, the win with the witches, yet lose if the town win. Yet they are town?

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Sorry just trying to think it all through.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think that sums it up pretty well. If my reasoning is sound, then I guess the only thing that differentiates them from Witches is that they'll flip town upon death and that they can't kill. Other than that, they're functionally a Witch.

That is assuming, of course, that both Pumpkin's and my own statements are true. Of course, the only evidence to both of those is that we claim them to be as such, although I see no contradiction at this point, so I think it's relatively safe to assume that if one of them is true, so is the other.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ooh, came up with another thing - if the cynic is technically human-aligned, they also can't lie in their purple truths.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I suppose this is as good time as any, I can corroborate Fynn's and Pumpkin's truth:

The witch does not know who the Cynic is. The Cynic knows who the witch is. The Cynic can also lie with the purple.

(Sorry if it didn't code right, I'm on my cell!)

FFXIV Character

If a mod could edit that post and make it actually purple that'd be awesome, the tags were there. Apparently I fudged it and when I go to fix it, it asks me to delete it. Stupid mobile skin.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Interesting. I wonder, then, if the cynic is forbidden from telling the witch their identity, or if the witch doesn't know from the start but the cynic can let them know.

The phrasing is also interesting - is it just me, or does it indicate that there is only one witch?

Btw, I wonder if the cynic counts as a witch when it comes to our winning conditions - do we need to eliminate them as well, or do they just lose when the witches get lynched?

FFXIV Character

I was thinking the same thing, which makes it more difficult for the witch. I would assume that the cynic counts as a witch for our win according to Pumpkin's truth so we'd have to get them both. It seems like a more difficult game in that case.

FFXIV Character

But maybe the witch has another ability to help them? Wasn't there one called "repeat"? Or maybe something else that gives them more power?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Even if they do, that would still mean that only one person can kill, so the witch would always have to make a decision between killing and using their power.

FFXIV Character

That's why I was wondering what "repeat" does, or any of the abilities. We haven't really been talking about them much. I feel like some of them must be OP.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

One witch doesn't seem like much but I guess if the Cynic is on their side, it would make what Formy said about their being around 2 witches for this size game accurate. Even if one technically isn't a witch. And if there is only one witch, they wouldn't have to worry about communicating with others about killing. But then again, why would there specifically be a rule about if more than one tries to kill, it will cancel out? Seems like a weird thing to add when only one person can kill.

That's also 3 truths that all relate to the same thing, which seems like it might be a bit much. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but some of this is just not clicking for me.

So if I'm understanding correctly, there is a cynic player who wants to kill the townies like a witch but probably can't kill, although they might know who the witch(es) are, but they don't know who the cynic is. Which could mean that the cynic might have sent the message to a witch. Also the cynic might be able to lie and would probably come up as a townie if investigated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, that is basically our dilemma. Unless there is a specific character ability that allows them to identify the cynic, there is no way for us to detect them, unless they lie about their purple truth, since lies usually come out.

Worse still, even if we do lynch a cynic, it's quite possible we won't know we did, since they'll flip human. So even if there is only one real mafia, this gives them a significant edge.

I also agree that there being three truths about one character is suspicious.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I don't really see it as suspicious as it is a major twist in the game. I'm more suspicious of the Pained towns myself. It just seems odd that we can have a serial killer on the loose that would destroy both sides, yet flip town.

FFXIV Character

Or could point to the Cynic playing a larger role than we are aware. Remember, Karifean said there are no vanilla, everyone has an ability.