Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123456789132353 ... LastLast

Thread: EoFF Mafia XXVIII Game Thread - Banquet of the Voyager Witches

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    You're also giving the mafia a ton of power by revealing Purple Statements so early. The more information they have, the easier it is for them to work around said information.
    This is true: we will be giving the mafia more info. But, we'll also be giving ourselves more info. Plus, as I've already said, the witches have more access to truths to start with, so to make up for that advantage we have to share our truths between themselves, which we can only do by putting them out in the open.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ordinarily I'm not a fan of rocking the boat during Day One because I play cautiously by nature. But I have to say I was 'inspired' Scruffy by your enthusiastic display in the last game, and so why not rock the boat this time? I've outlined why I feel it - at the very least - isn't damaging to Town.

Right now, everyone is at a base level of suspicion. Sure, I might not 'trust' every statement, but 7 of 9 statements has to be truthful.

Witches can lie or tell the truth with their statements, but they can't do both. As I said, if they lie with a statement, but then tell the truth, we know they are a witch because Town players can only tell the truth.

There is an argument to be had that such a strategy gives witches knowledge of the game, and it is a reasonable concern. However, it gives us more knowledge. If no truths were revealed, it is very easy for witches to plot machinations behind the scenes. And 7 people with full knowledge of the game's hidden rules, in my opinion, can defeat 2-ish people with full knowledge of the game's rules, if we work together.

I mean, I've lost the last two games I've played. It isn't like I've got any dignity left!

Purple Statement

When a player dies, they covertly appoint a "Family Alchemist" (taking the title from the previous Alchemist if one exists). The Family Alchemist resolves ties during daytime voting.

Honestly, I'm not sure how it works. If there's a tie at anytime, can they swoop in and resolve the tie? What if they're already voting? Is it only a tie at sudden death at the end of the day?

Either way, whoever is the Family Alchemist has a slightly stronger position during the day phase. Also, regardless, I don't think there is a Family Alchemist currently, because no-one is dead yet.

Articles
    Blog Entries

And I know my statement is truthful, so I know at least one statement is a truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    The witches already know who aren't witches.
    How do you know this?
    Process of elimination. Mafia always get told who else is mafia. Therefore, everyone who they AREN'T told is mafia must be non-mafia. God, it's the Akihiko "How many townies are there?" question all over again!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah that one is a bit hard for me to understand

How do you know this?
    Process of elimination. Mafia always get told who else is mafia. Therefore, everyone who they AREN'T told is mafia must be non-mafia. God, it's the Akihiko "How many townies are there?" question all over again!
    Except nowhere in the posts does it explicitly state that the mafia know who each other are in this game.

##Vote: Mr. Carnelian

Tbh I think this is a slip. It's reasonable to assume the mafia know each other, but Carny doesn't seem to be assuming. He seems certain of it.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Formy's rule sounds to me like if there's a tie, whoever has been appointed the Alchemist gets to PM Karifean to resolve a draw, rather than there being a sudden death. Guess we'll see if it's true if we get a draw and it goes to sudden death rather than being resolved through alchemist ruling.

If witches can PM each other, they'd HAVE to know who else were witches, Scruffy. It's obvious.

And I notice you still haven't revealed a truth, Scruffy.

If witches can PM each other, they'd HAVE to know who else were witches, Scruffy. It's obvious.
    But the opening posts mentions absolutely nothing about witches being able to PM each other. Unless you can find me some evidence that it does.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

And so quick to flip votes! I think that might just be Scruffy being Scruffy though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

How do you know this?
    That's what I think, but goodness who knows in this game. It is almost always assumed that Mafia/witches have factional communication. It'd be very interesting if there was some mechanic affecting this.

As for Scruffy's vote? I think Mr. Carny just assumed Mafia could communicate and worked off of that assumption. It is such a basic rule I didn't even notice it wasn't on Karifean's OP, which doesn't necessarily mean anything in and of itself.

Let's not forget the slim-yet-possible chance that there might be a third party unaligned between Town and Mafia. Roles like Serial Killers and Survivors exist, though they are fairly rare in the EoFF meta.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Every night, the witches have the opportunity to use the Kill action instead of their normal ability. They essentially have two abilities and can pick whichever. Additionally, as in my previous game, if multiple witches attempt to use Kill on the same night, all will fail.
    I don't have proof, but it does say here that multiple witches attempting to kill on the same night will cause all to fail. That would be hard to pull off if they can't communicate

But hey, that might be part of the challenge I guess

You're actually right, Scruffy. It doesn't say anything explicitly about witches being able to PM each other. It does say that PM'ing is forbidden if not explicitly stated - although I think it says in the same rules that I'm not allowed to give a quote, so you'll have to check yourself - which strongly suggests that SOMEONE can PM someone else. I guess I misremembered that to think that it said that only witches could PM, because that fits with what I already knew about mafia.

Having said all that, I'd be REALLY surprised if they couldn't PM each other at night at the very least. Regardless, in every other mafa game I know of, mafia are told who else is mafia. With Karifean in charge though, who knows.

I still think it's safest to assume that they can PM each other, and proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    That's what I think, but goodness who knows in this game. It is almost always assumed that Mafia/witches have factional communication. It'd be very interesting if there was some mechanic affecting this.

As for Scruffy's vote? I think Mr. Carny just assumed Mafia could communicate and worked off of that assumption. It is such a basic rule I didn't even notice it wasn't on Karifean's OP, which doesn't necessarily mean anything in and of itself.

Let's not forget the slim-yet-possible chance that there might be a third party unaligned between Town and Mafia. Roles like Serial Killers and Survivors exist, though they are fairly rare in the EoFF meta.
    As I said, it's a normal assumption to make.

His post didn't suggest that he was assuming this was the case. His post seemed to indicate a certainty that the mafia can communicate with each other, and we have no evidence that this is the case.

Pull my Devil Trigger!