Page 55 of 59 FirstFirst ... 535454950515253545556575859 LastLast

Thread: EoFF Mafia XXVIII Game Thread - Banquet of the Voyager Witches

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    Also, I wonder if someone admits to being a Pained but doesn't reveal their role or ability would that trigger it?
    I think it would. If the point of having that Pained status is to keep it hidden, that'd probably go against the spirit of the role, so I imagine saying "I'm Pained" would trigger it as much as saying your identity or ability would. Could be wrong, but that's what I think.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    Also, I wonder if someone admits to being a Pained but doesn't reveal their role or ability would that trigger it?
    I think it would. If the point of having that Pained status is to keep it hidden, that'd probably go against the spirit of the role, so I imagine saying "I'm Pained" would trigger it as much as saying your identity or ability would. Could be wrong, but that's what I think.
    But then wouldn't it follow by saying Carny is Pained then activates it? It seems ambiguous.

Honestly between Pumpkin and Fynn if either were a Pained, it'd be more likely Fynn. Pained is supposed to discourage roleclaim. Having our version of cop being Pained would make the most sense given that it would prevent the cop from explicitly claiming their role. It would add danger to it (though I do realize that with an active Mafia it would be always dangerous to claim cop).

Also, you said you'd be more suspicious of the second person to roleclaim. As a witch I can't be Pained since they are human-aligned. The second would be Fynn. He claimed after there was effectively no more Mafia and I had offered the Cynic up. More so, he was dropping enough hints beforehand that it wasn't that surprising when he revealed. He had already covertly established himself as the cop then why did he do a full reveal? We didn't really doubt him. Maybe he was hoping to use the chaos I triggered to so his claim would seem normal and people would be paying me and Scruff more attention.

Then there is the fact that if a Pained was trigger we might not be aware of it. However, they would be eager to go for easy lynches as it wouldn't draw attention to them. While I admit the Cynic had to go, I'm the next easy target. Rushing to vote out the easiest target without any discussion because they're "obvious". What will be obvious is after I'm railroad into a lynch and we still don't win is that there is a Pained in play and he's been using this distraction as cover.

I wouldn't worry too much about Carny being Pained just because he hasn't claimed yet.

FFXIV Character

TL;DR Fynn had no reason to roleclaim as he did because he already established he was the cop without explicitly saying his role. He even said he believed he was up for being nightkilled because he gave his role away. The only reason to fully claim his role as he did is if he knew he was Pained and wanted to keep things interesting by triggering it. He saw his chance when I stirred the pot with my revelation and the ongoing argument between Scruff and I.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wouldn't someone have died before if one of us was pained though?

FFXIV Character

Pained can kill people? I know it was mentioned but I didn't see where we got that info, so IDK.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought that if they were activated they killed people?

Sorry I guess I'm confused

Articles
    Blog Entries

It isn't for definite, and we have no concrete proof of anything, but something about the wording of the Pained Purple Statement makes it seem as if they can kill. I mentioned before that it is possible that they can kill, and I would be surprised if they couldn't, because that would make them a Survivor not a Serial Killer, which implies a much more passive, nonthreatening position.

If a Survivor was present and Karifean was using the normal Mafia rules as on the wiki, Survivors win when any faction achieves their win condition. If Town had just killed the last Witch-aligned person and activated Pained people were operating under 'Survivor' style rules, then we would have won. The exception to this would be if there is one more witch.

I will say, all of this talk of Pained is kinda making me forget how many Witch-aligned players are left. We killed Nutty the Witch, we killed Scruff the Cynic. Does that mean there is one more Witch? And I'm not counting TSoL in that count because he's claiming he is Human-aligned, despite being a Witch. If he's telling the truth, does that mean there's one more Witch-aligned person out there, plus Pained?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah it definitely seems like we're missing something

Articles
    Blog Entries

I mean, we'll find something out at the end of this night phase, one way or another.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm checking Pumpkin tonight. If she isn't Pained, then that means one of several things:

1) I activated that other Pained person simply by checking them
    2) Someone accidentally checked a Pained player's identity and triggered them
    3) Scruff was speaking the truth in his purple statement and Bobby is out to get everyone
    4) There is one more witch

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

And sorry for "being on the sidelines" wgile being asleep like abnormal person

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Now, without revealing anything, does anyone have an ability that lets them see another player's identity? As in, just what character they're playing. Or someone's ability. Because, according to the flavor text, that needs to be revealed in order to trigger a Pained.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

By the way, does any rule we found out state that we need to eliminate a triggered Pained in order to win? The winning conditions in my mognet message only said I need to eliminate witches, and then the cynic purple truth also said we need to alumina re them. The Pained's main goal may be to eliminate everyone, but was there really a rule that we need to kill the triggered Pained as well?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

If the Pained could kill at nighttime, there would be no reason for them to not kill since the longer they have many people around them, the more dangerous it is for them, I think. By that logic, either the Pained cannot kill, or they haven't been triggered yet

Articles
    Blog Entries

Us Pained don't kill at night time. I know because I'm a Pained who is still human-aligned because my identity and ability remain undiscovered and if someone does make an effort to discover it is incredibly obvious their motives are suspect since they'll be changing my alignment. Us Pained turn to a Survivor-type role who wants to kill the other players upon discovery, but unless someone can let it be known otherwise, that is the extent of what being a Pained is. Anything otherwise claimed about them is a lie unless it can be backed up by a purple statement or a night action.

I refrained from saying anything about it until now so that way there is critical information that can be used to take out Witches can be known if I happen to die. I've used my Night Action of Fynn and Pumpkin.

If someone wishes to turn me from being Human-aligned to Individual-aligned by using the information I've posted here to expose me, it's probably obvious you're probably not looking out for the Humans.