Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151929 ... LastLast

Thread: EoFF Mafia XXVIII Game Thread - Banquet of the Voyager Witches

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm not really seeing how a Town player would want to mess up with the writeups, though. To my knowledge, all roles that can affect reveals (Janitor) are usually Anti-town.

Not sure why you would want to obscure information unless you were a witch. Unless there's a method to extract more information from the writeups, I guess.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I was wondering the same thing. Why would there be three write-up changes, wouldn't that make the write-up almost not important as it would be a host of what three random people decide it to be.

Articles
    Blog Entries

My guess is that they can omit things, or change things to make the write-up more incriminating to their own ends. I don't think they have the power to write them themselves, more likely they will tell Karifean they wish to use their power (which might be x-shot) and he will do the rest.

That's there is a write-up editing power isn't surprising. I am surprised there's apparently three players who can mess with the writeups though. That's a lot of power on one mechanic.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Maybe they can affect the write ups to give clues or something?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    Here's mine:

If a Pained's identity or ability is revealed, their goal changes to wanting to survive alone and kill everyone else.
    While we're on the purple statements:

What does everyone make of this? It sounds legitimate at a first viewing. From what it sounds like, there's a player - who is either Town or a Witch, but I'd guess they were Town as it would be harder to keep you identity/ability secret in a witch's circle - who becomes something that is basically a serial killer if either their identity (who they are) or their ability (what they can do) is revealed and attached to their EoFF account.

Let's not be hasty. The moment that person is revealed, it'll be dangerous for witches and especially dangerous for Town.

Of course, assuming that the statement is true, but an activated serial killer is very Karifinese.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Wow I am wonder how many people are Pained. The way it is worded makes it sound like 2 or more.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Anything is possible, but it is very unlikely for there to be more than one serial killer in a game size of nine people, mainly because of balance.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

But now because of his truth are they active as the pained ability is in the open now.

Articles
    Blog Entries

No, I think. From the sounds of it, they have to be publicly accused of being the identity of the Pained, or alternatively, their ability is publicly declared.

Knowing that a Pained exists isn't enough. So, for example, if I was the Pained, my secret is kept until someone else goes "Hey Formy, you're [Joe Bloggs], aren't you?" or "Hey Formy, you have the ability [Disco Dancing!], don't you?"

I guess at that point the host would tell the Pained that they've been found out and tells them their new win condition (which, from the sounds of it, is of the KILL EVERYONE variety).

Articles
    Blog Entries

The Pained is sorta like a role descriptor I guess, not an ability. The abilities are things like 'Investigate' or 'coerce' as seen in Karifean's OP.

An identity has an ability attached. So for example, Battler Ushiromiya is the identity, and 'Investigate' is the ability.

Let's say I was Battler, and the Pained. If someone accused me of being either Battler or having the Investigate ability, I'd be found out, and then I'd go psycho and start killing everyone. Serial Killers are Third Parties in Mafia.

I hope that makes sense, Nutty.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

It does yes. Knowing there is at least one let's not get a character claim out. We have the witches to deal with already, let's not add a serial killer or two to the list.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was actually going to ask Karifean how many witches there are and if they can communicate - I mean, this is pretty much a given, considering how mafia works, but usually the rules on the opening post still state it.

Theoretically, this could be a game where we are around 50/50 human/witch aligned, but since the witches wouldn't know who the other witches were, the chances would still be pretty even.

But then, some people are fairly confident the witches can communicate and that there are three. Not a purple statement, but perhaps a slip up that can still work to our advantage.

I choose not to reveal my statement yet. At this point I feel it would give the Witches an unfair edge in more ways than one, and I'd rather still stay on the safe side until we actually know if this game has the standard mafia mechanics or the other model that I mentioned.

Fair enough. I still hold that releasing the statements will have a greater net benefit for town than for the witches, but at least you and Scruffy have thought about why not saying might be advantageous, rather than just going "Lol, no."

Also, full confession on the three thing: the only real reason I thought it would be free is because the only other mafia game I've been substantially involved in had three mafia. This made me think, probably wrongly, that having three mafia was a "thing" that could be relied upon. There's no way of knowing right now how many witches there are. There could even - in a Karifean-style twist - be more witches than town.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Having more witches than Town would be hideously unbalanced, especially if (my theory is correct) one of those Town members is a ticking serial killer bomb if they're found out.

I'm relying on the usual metagame of ratios to determine that's there's probably 2-3 witches, but I happily accept that in this wacky world, 'the usual metagame' doesn't always apply.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Of course, I'm not saying you saying there were three points to you being mafia. I'm just wondering if things thaywe take for granted could have been left out of the initial post purposefully - I mean, this is Karifean we're talking about