Page 28 of 59 FirstFirst ... 818222324252627282930313233343848 ... LastLast

Thread: EoFF Mafia XXVIII Game Thread - Banquet of the Voyager Witches

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Assuming Carny's statement is true, Karifean did say that the roles are not tied to alignments. So it would be weird if everyone who could affect the narrative would be witches. Moreover, it would be highly peculiar for a witch not to do a night kill because that is always advantageous. Then there is the fact that there is my truth. Also, consider that Carny's truth says affect the narrative not rewriting it, though we know one ability IS rewrite.

Now consider the write up, if we can believe it, the man with the sword sounded like he was intimidating someone but not only that but his motivation was to make sure nothing happened. That sounds like a mass ability.

I agree with Pained. We cant out someone and someone can't role claim without fear of them "activating". Meaning we have to be careful because ability and identities are tied together. But some of these are vague enough that if we're careful we can still have a fruitful discussion.

That being said, I have a strong suspicion that the ability was affecting everyone and a general protection. The narrative indicates that and confirms my own sources.

FFXIV Character

Also it is foolish to think all abilities are night abilities. Given the whole "note" incident, it would seem people can do stuff during the day too.

FFXIV Character

Assuming Carny's truth is right, we know there is one rewrite ability but the other abilities could possibly be to omit something or prevent a rewrite? So maybe we're just missing information.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Imma be honest here, I'm having a hard time trusting the Village Idiot truth. Every other role we have seen presented, such as Cynic, Family Alchemist, and Pained I believe are actual mafia roles but with their actual title changed to suit the narrative. Village Idiot is the typical name and doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the narrative.

I could be wrong since I don't have a ton of info on mafia, but that's my impression

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

For many of these rolls I was wondering too. I had no clue what Pained, and Cynic was. If you are wondering Pumkin check out the Wiki. It will tell you rolls powers and all the rest. Also be sure to check out handicap rolls like the drunk, village idiot etc.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's what I mean is that it seems odd, to me personally, that other roles are adjusted to fit the narrative of this game based on this series in particular, but that one is not.

I am also almost positive that there is more than one witch, so I have a hard time with TSoL's truth as well. It seems to contradict a lot of the other presented information.

Again, I have no proof though and the defense is always "Well that's what my red statement said" but those are my two cents~

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pumpkin does raise an interesting point, though. All of the roles revealed in the purple statements aside from the village idiot have appropriately flavor-text names (people have remarked that the Cynic is usually called a Traitor in Mafia), so it wouldn't really make sense not to change the Village Idiot into something else. I don't know a lot about Umineko, but our setting is definitely not a village.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The wording is also vague as hell, but I may be reading too much into it now that I'm suspicious of the rule.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've only played the first 4 episodes of Umineko Naku Koro Ni, but I immediately felt Village idiot didn't fit. But again, I haven't played the Higurashi series yet, nor have I played the last 4 Umineko episodes.

But seeing how the others are all changed to suit the narrative, it keeps standing out to me as something that just doesn't FIT. Like Karifean put all of this work in to customizing the typical mafia roles to suit the narrative and then just threw in village idiot? Could be. Or it could be someone looked at common mafia roles and threw it in because it's common and some probably wouldn't have a hard time believing it

MAN I SOUND PARANOID NOW

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I will say that I think Carny's truth is still by far the least trustworthy, I will also say that Fynn's reveal of his truth was very on time.

The fact most of us me included felt forced to reveal our truths as I knew mine would point at me, yet felt fingers would point if I didn't. Also makes me think Carny who opened it with a unbelievable one in my opinion as if you count there is only one writer is a witch and wanted to know what he had to deal with. Just my opinion though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

IF

BIG IF

Two characters I think are in play are in play, there are at least 2 with a narrative changing ability. But again, that doesn't mean he couldn't have changed it to 3 as a lie, or he could be a witch and just actually told the truth. But since I'm almost certain that at least one narrative altering ability is in play and I suspect a second one is, 3 doesn't seem so farfetched

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Of course it was on time - I revealed it precisely because at that moment we could all have benefited from it. The note appeared in the narrative, so it felt like a good moment to share that I probably know what the note is about.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    IF

BIG IF

Two characters I think are in play are in play, there are at least 2 with a narrative changing ability. But again, that doesn't mean he couldn't have changed it to 3 as a lie, or he could be a witch and just actually told the truth. But since I'm almost certain that at least one narrative altering ability is in play and I suspect a second one is, 3 doesn't seem so farfetched
    You know, I was thinking of posting this before but thought it was stupid, but I guess here goes.

What if Karifean counts as a player? He even used his character as an example first - he has an identity and an ability, and later even drove this point further home by revealing his red truth. And since he's the one writing the write-ups, wouldn't that possibly make him one of the three characters able to influence the write-ups?

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I still don't believe it's 3. It just seems like to much. Go through the lists and you will see one Write ability, and one on Karifean's player. Three is just to many for me to think about being true.