Thread: EoFF Mafia XXVIII Discussion Thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Heads up - won't be available most of the day. Going apartment hunting.

Articles
    Blog Entries

And that's a wrap. Congrats humans!

Articles
    Blog Entries

The game in which I deliberately remain quiet is my successful one huh

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh my God I've won a game! I won something!

Though honestly, the other players pulled in a much better performance than I did. I don't think I really did anything of note throughout the game.

EDIT: Got to admit Fynn did a great job as Town. You really drove us into hammering TSoL and led the game. Pumpkin also did great! The most important thing for Townies is to not look suspicious and you were down on my suspicions throughout most of the game. Congratulations for winning your first game!

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

So my win condition was that I had to eliminate my fellow witch and the Cynic and all the humans. However, I could not with if it ended with just witches left meaning the last kill before I won had to be human.

My plan was always to betray Nutty and Scruff just happened sooner than later. Giving up the Cynic was the only way I could spin it with a chance to win. Had I given up a fake Cynic (Laddy was almost the sacrificial lamb), I would have to still get rid of Scruff. Also, I was trying to spin it that I won with the humans. If I stayed "witch" longer my motivation would be too easily questioned. If I continued to nightkill after Nutty was dead then reveal I win with the humans wouldn't fly. I could have blamed the Cynic but Fynn's ability would have ratted me out. After that I was hoping to convince the humans that a Pained was active.

So I was always meant to betray. My hand moved a bit faster than I would have liked but what I did seemed my only viable move to my win. A witch victory wouldn't have been a victory for me. So I was never on anyone's side but my own. I was essentially Pained witch already activated, not a reverse Cynic.

FFXIV Character

I also totally said I would destroy all in my path. Lol.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    So my win condition was that I had to eliminate my fellow witch and the Cynic and all the humans. However, I could not with if it ended with just witches left meaning the last kill before I won had to be
    Oooooh, so you just omitted the fact that you 'also' had to kill all humans. Clever.

I was Rena Ryuuguu! My ability was Stalk. Sounds like a tracker, or maybe a watcher, right?

WRONG. I was actually the Doctor. I can choose any player, and if they're targeted by an elimination move, they are protected by it. That's why I was really flummoxed when Night One ended and everyone thought it was a Mass-Protection, because that's my job! I'm literally the Doctor. And I didn't think there'd be another guy with my role. I'm still not entirely convinced the guy with the sword used a Mass-Protection. I still suspect some form of mass-block of some kind, but I'll guess we see.

Also not sure how well I did as a Doctor. Guess we'll see. Glad to know my hunches were fairly correct. I never really suspected Pumpkin much, nor did I think Mr. Carny was a Witch either; I had him as prob!Town by the end of Day One.

My problem was higher up my list of suspicion. Besides Nutty and Scruffy, I had no good reads on Fynn, Laddy, heck even TSoL for a time. I was pretty 50/50 on Laddy being a Witch. Fynn I was suspicious for a time but that waned over time and I had him as maybe!Town.

EDIT: So this game has taught me that I'm strangely better at Town Reads than Mafia Reads. Really not sure that's the right way around but you know!

EDIT 2: Okay, read the truths in the other thread. So besides Nutty's failed kill on Mr. Carnelian (nice job by the way Mr. Carny, saved yourself there!), were no more kills attempted during the other two nights? Huh! Along with TSoL's explanation, things now make a lot more sense.
    Last edited by Formalhaut; 03-14-2017 at 01:08 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    If I continued to nightkill after Nutty was dead then reveal I win with the humans wouldn't fly.
    The ironic part was that you would've been blocked by Carny both times anyways, so not attempting a nightkill was the better choice ^^

If I ever put in a Witch of Truth esque alignment again I'll remove the requirement to kill the witches before the humans. It can end in a deadlock that way (both voting for one another, both trying to kill each other at night) but that's basically why I put the Family Alchemist in play in the first place.

I tried a lot of things this game. Some worked, some didn't, a lot I'm left unsure about since the game ended so quickly. What do you guys think was a good/bad idea? Regarding Pained, Cynic, Witch of Truth, Red Truths + Purple Statements, Narrative-screwing, giving everyone an ability, etc.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really had a lot of fun for my first game! I think being new kind of helped because then I wasn't like... "bogged down" by what I'm used to and having to adapt to all of the changes and all dat

Good job team

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also I really liked the purple statements and I'm thinking of stealing some of your ideas for my game if thas oki :3

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think overall the game went very well!

I do feel as if some Town roles seemed better used by Mafia. Laddy's Stealth and Pumpkin's Candy screwed around with the narrative and I'm not sure that really helped Town. Kinda seemed like a negative utility? I don't know. I mean, we won, so it couldn't have been that hindering.

The way the game went my Doctor role kinda fell out of use, but that's just how the Game went (and it went sideways anyway, so it could hardly be predicted!). Some roles are more powerful in different games. Just how it is. I will say I like how each role had a unique purpose. And the theme was fantastic!

I personally wouldn't host a role madness game like this because frankly I'm not that good at balancing and I'm a very new host, so you were very brave to do so yourself! It went very well. The Statements were good, though I am curious what you sent TSoL Karifean. The grammar and structure of his Statement was a major talking point. Actually, could you list all the Statements so we can see if any witches lied?

Oh! If you're wondering why I protected Pumpkin, Pumpkin then Fynn during the three night phases, they were really for trivial reasons. Ask Karifean, I basically moaned at him in my Mognets about how I had little clue. I protected Pumpkin the first two nights so she wouldn't die so soon in her first game. As for Fynn, by that point he was claiming to have an investigative role and it'd be best to keep him alive. I didn't block any kills, but then hardly any kills were made!

FFXIV Character

I barely lied too. Omitted a fact and changed my statement slightly.

The style of my statement was Karifean's so to those who said it wasn't:

Articles
    Blog Entries

Steal all you want, Pumpkin, I have no patent for this ruleset =P

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I think overall the game went very well!
    Haah, I wonder. When Pumpkin casually pointed out the two Mafia on Day 2 after the nightkill had been blocked I was like, welp, GG, that was a short game. I figured I might as well keep it going until the end, mostly because who knows what still could've happened - people like falling into paranoia when everything's going too well

I do feel as if some Town roles seemed better used by Mafia. Laddy's Stealth and Pumpkin's Candy screwed around with the narrative and I'm not sure that really helped Town. Kinda seemed like a negative utility? I don't know. I mean, we won, so it couldn't have been that hindering.
    Stealth was a bit too powerful of an ability in hindsight. A Mafia having it would've been insane. I made it obligatory use so it would still get used on the human side, but, well, there was probably a better way to go about it.

Sweeten on the other hand I found works pretty damn well on both sides. Can be used to easily identify someone in the writeups, can be used to mislead others, probably one of the better ideas I had for abilities, along with Miracle.

The way the game went my Doctor role kinda fell out of use, but that's just how the Game went (and it went sideways anyway, so it could hardly be predicted!). Some roles are more powerful in different games. Just how it is. I will say I like how each role had a unique purpose. And the theme was fantastic!
    I thought with 3 witches and 6 humans (which is *really* skewed under normal circumstances) I would not be amiss having two humans capable of blocking a night kill, with the Cynic and Witch of Truth capable of shifting the balance towards either side... well, turns out I was worrying too much, in the end I probably shouldn't have had two protective abilities. Something to take note of for next time.

I'm glad you liked the theme

Oh! If you're wondering why I protected Pumpkin, Pumpkin then Fynn during the three night phases, they were really for trivial reasons. Ask Karifean, I basically moaned at him in my Mognets about how I had little clue. I protected Pumpkin the first two nights so she wouldn't die so soon in her first game. As for Fynn, by that point he was claiming to have an investigative role and it'd be best to keep him alive. I didn't block any kills, but then hardly any kills were made!
    Most Mafia don't kill someone their first game, first night anyways, just fyi. Although seeing that "Stalk: Pumpkin" line and your reaction to writing it was worth it xD

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think TSoL did really well at defending himself after FFNut got offed. The game wasn't as over as I thought it was

FFXIV Character

I was hoping to confuse your guys but Fynn had my number and I really couldn't convince anyone he was Pained.

Tbh, he still didn't have to fully reveal himself imho. We all pretty much knew who he was

I had a lot of fun! But I maybe had the craziest role that allowed me do just screw everyone over.