Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FFVII remake battles 'entirely action-based'

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    And of course everybody learned how reliable early GUI screenshots are

Seriously, I really don't get why people get so worked up over games and their expectations toward them? I mean, I'm not interested in FFVII R simply because I've kind of gotten over VII, but if they announced, say, a Kingdom Hearts game that would be a total departure in gameplay from the other games, I wouldn't be like "screw you, SE, I wanted this to be X and you choose to stomp right over my childhood" and more like "well, okay, that's different, let's see how this plays out."
    Some people just hate action rpgs that's all. FF was originally a turn based series, imagine if say Dark Souls went turn-based or Zelda went turn-based. People who love those systems would be upset with the change.

" SE is all about evolving and developing "

Yes, within a turn-based system.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nah, they've always experimented. Take the Mana series, for example, or Parasite Eve.

Their more action-based titles have gotten them more money recently, so it's really no wonder that they're going in that direction

I'm honestly much more concerned with whether they intend to fix the God-awful part of the story that's disc 2

Nah, they've always experimented. Take the Mana series, for example, or Parasite Eve.

Their more action-based titles have gotten them more money recently, so it's really no wonder that they're going in that direction
    Those are different games though, and not Final Fantasy.

Yeah, because Square has been unfair towards turn-based- not everybody can afford a 3DS to buy the Bravely Games, and WOFF had a certain "kiddy" artstyle towards it, which put off alot people.

" But Turn Based is dying out " !

Persona 5 and Pokemon games say hi.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You still say SE, not FF

Never said it is. I personally prefer turn-based games, but I can see why they'd go for an action format - they want VII to have as big an impact on the entire gaming industry as it did back in the day, so they want to make it as palatable to mainstream audiences as possible (I still think it's ultimately not possible to replicate that, but they're trying really hard).

I'm really fine with this remake because the original VII still exists anyway, I get my fill of turn-based games through other outlets, and I really think it's better if a remake changes things up so as to offer a new experience. Still not excited for this thing, though, but for reasons much different than the typical "they changed it now it sucks"

Never said it is. I personally prefer turn-based games, but I can see why they'd go for an action format - they want VII to have as big an impact on the entire gaming industry as it did back in the day, so they want to make it as palatable to mainstream audiences as possible (I still think it's ultimately not possible to replicate that, but they're trying really hard).
    Wish that they didn't though- other games don't change themselves to fit the mainstream. Persona and Tales Of series are not mainstream, and yet they are always fine doing their thing. It also makes me worried that Final Fantasy is going to become basically Dark Souls 2. 0.

typical "they changed it now it sucks"
    Not saying that though ? Just hate action rpgs. And don't really understand this change- when games like Mario have been the same since 1985 or something.

If you like action rpgs that's fine, just don't understand why FF has to become one, when there is games out there like Dark Souls and Skyrim.

Seriously, I really don't get why people get so worked up over games and their expectations toward them? I mean, I'm not interested in FFVII R simply because I've kind of gotten over VII, but if they announced, say, a Kingdom Hearts game that would be a total departure in gameplay from the other games, I wouldn't be like "screw you, SE, I wanted this to be X and you choose to stomp right over my childhood" and more like "well, okay, that's different, let's see how this plays out."
    Probably because FF7 is a pretty big deal to a lot of people.

Fans are frustrated because we've been waiting for well over a decade for this game to be remade. And yet SE is going in a direction that a lot of people don't like or didn't ask for.

TBH, though, I'm with Fox - VII's implementation of the ATB was one of the worst in the series so here's hoping they can make stuff more interesting
    I think FF7's ATB is one of the best in the series, if not outright the best.

I'm honestly much more concerned with whether they intend to fix the God-awful part of the story that's disc 2
    We've been over this before, but you seem unwilling to budge from your opinion on Disc 2 even after I've disputed many of your complaints, so we'll agree to disagree. I think Disc 2 was excellent.

On the topic of Disc 2...I wonder how they're going to do the WEAPON battles. We've seen how XV handled large scale battles -- Leviathan and Titan were a straight up mess.

Never said it is. I personally prefer turn-based games, but I can see why they'd go for an action format - they want VII to have as big an impact on the entire gaming industry as it did back in the day, so they want to make it as palatable to mainstream audiences as possible (I still think it's ultimately not possible to replicate that, but they're trying really hard)
    Except by copy-pasting their action gameplay and following the trend of action RPGs, FF7R is actually following the status quo instead of setting itself apart.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

When it comes to disc two - just wait until the next FF Talk episode

Honestly, without charge times and the gauges just pausing whenever any action happens (not even touching on the ludicrously long animations), it's basically just a turn based system with a forced time of padding between turns. And if you choose active, the enemies get an unfair edge. ATB peaked at IV and X-2 that actually had you really think on how to juggle charge and recharge times, with XII also being really cool, though the ADB system is a big enough departure from ATB to be considered its own thing

And hey, I get it - I'm not saying it's a change I want to happen, since I'm pretty indifferent to it, it's just one that was really to be expected from the start.

Of course, this is all moot anyway since we'll probably need to wait close to a decade again until even episode 1 comes out

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

As I said in my earlier post, sure, action RPGs can be fun and many of my favourite games are action RPGs. I am looking forward to what they produce. But I just I don't know when and why Square arbitrarily decided that gamers didn't want turn based or ATB combat anymore. You know, key elements of games that made us all into fans and made them a major force in gaming. They were shocked, shocked, that their fans in the west bought Bravely Default in such numbers.

It reminds me of Resident Evil. Capcom arbitrarily decided gamers didn't want survival horror anymore and as a result their games became more and more action based, resulting in the trainwreck that was Resident Evil 6. And oh look, they went back to their survival horror roots with Resi 7 - with an innovative (in the context of the Resident Evil series) first person view - and it was both critically acclaimed and commercially successful.

You might have this talk with me then, the person who acklowledges all intention of the creators.

How can you record a conversation with me without me

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    How can you record a conversation with me without me

Who decides the topics and what people will be participating in them? Just curious, because I'm a little interested in it. :P

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

If you ever have an idea pitch around at another member and ask them to be on it with you. If you're able to get me an audio file of 10-20 minutes in length with separate audio tracks for each person (or you can send me a file each and I can merge them) I can put together a video. If your recording takes longer than that please edit it down!