Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FFVII remake battles 'entirely action-based'

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Great, so they can agree they want a remake. Beyond that, they scarcely agree on anything.

And was clamour for a FFVII remake really that unanimous? I think a lot of people were rather indifferent to the idea. The original game still exists after all.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Great, so they can agree they want a remake. Beyond that, they scarcely agree on anything.

And was clamour for a FFVII remake really that unanimous? I think a lot of people were rather indifferent to the idea. The original game still exists after all.
    I mean over 11 million people have bought a copy of Final Fantasy VII. It's by far one of, if not the most, most successful RPGs of all time. I think that's more than enough evidence that its appreciated by fans.

People have been hyping up an FFVII remake since the PS3 tech demo in 2005.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

yeah, in the time i've seen people demanding/requesting an FFVII remake, i have seen just as many say they don't want it or just don't care... unanimous is hardly the word i'd use for peoples desire for a remake... appreciation for a game is not equivalent to the want for a remake of said game, many people can appreciate a game without the word remake ever entering their minds... sales of the original also do not dictate if/when/how a remake ever happens, that's entirely on the devs/publishers and whatever criteria they decide on to make it so, or not... also that 11million is skewed by those of us that have bought it many times over, i myself have purchased FFVII at least 5 times... you can't look at this from the vacuum of an echo chamber, look around (this forum, other forums, YouTube for example) and you'll notice just as many said no or don't care when it comes to an FFVII remake, don't just look for replies that support your narrative while dismissing any that don't agree...

honestly i'm not happy with too many of the changes either, it's still not clear if it's episodic or multi-part, different devs say different things adding to the confusion... but for me episodic is the deal breaker, i like to go into the store and buy a complete game with a strategy guide and/or art-book, episodic makes that impossible, takes away one of my favorite parts about being a game collector... but, there's nothing i can do about it, i have no say, i don't work at SE, and that's something i have just had to accept...

Well, some fans seem pretty happy after a recent interview with Nomura-san from 2 weeks ago where he stated something and people totally misinterpreted his comment, acted prematurely and as a result made multiple interviews and comments about this with their conclusion based on something totally unequivocal.

So basically fans are just a whim of nature. With the difference that nature finds its own logical way.

Perhaps unanimous was the wrong word to use.

My main point still stands. The fact that the remake exists means that there was enough demand for it.

@Elly: I agree with a lot of your points, especially the episodic part. It's really turning me off.
    Last edited by Scruffington; 03-13-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Not at all surprised, but this just killed any and all hype I had. I won't be getting this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post

I mean over 11 million people have bought a copy of Final Fantasy VII. It's by far one of, if not the most, most successful RPGs of all time. I think that's more than enough evidence that its appreciated by fans.

People have been hyping up an FFVII remake since the PS3 tech demo in 2005.
    Correction. It's the most popular FF game and popular JRPG not named Pokemon.
    ღმერთის შვილი შეეხო და მითხრა, რომ ანგელოზთა ფეხები მომეხია.

Let me start by saying I am not a super negative person and do not wish to come off that way. I was very excited for this when it was first announced, and I'm sure it will still be worth a play.

I know it's a different era in gaming, and apparently too much work/wouldn't be feasible to do a world map (boggles my mind how that's possible on the PS1 and not PS4, but whatever). Kids these days haven't exactly had a ton to choose from as far as traditional turn based JRPG's. But I really feel Square is going to miss out on a LOT of the charm/quirkiness that makes the original so popular. Sure it was the first a lot of us played, myself included. But that alone wouldn't keep it as my favorite this long. It's the small things - the weird, snooty comments you get from Yuffie. Cid verbally abusing Shera, as horrible as it may be. The HoneyBee Inn and all of it's sleaziness. It gives the game character! Knowing games nowadays, and Square is also guilty, much of this will be toned down or removed IMO.

Like I said I was very excited when I first heard of this. I don't know why, but I expected it to be pretty close to the original. I will probably still pick it up, but I'm back to wishing they never bothered with it. Considering I haven't really enjoyed any Final Fantasy since 10, I'm sure other than nostalgia and just curiosity, this will be much the same.

The reasons why people play the FF games vary from person to person. Some do it for the story. Some do it for the gameplay. Some do it for the exploration and etc. Yes, the FFVII:R could have been a turn based game, but it would not be as successful with the modern times. The world has not remained in a frozen time chamber for 20 years where nothing changed. A lot of older fans would buy it instantly with some newer people getting it out of curiosity, but that is where it would end. It's more of a challenge for the company to make an ARPG than a turn based style game at this point. Even if one were to exclude the online titles, that's still 12 mainline numbered games where experience has been gained over time with some variation of turn based combat. It doesn't necessarily mean that there won't ever be a mainline big budget turn based game again, but there's obviously support behind ARPG titles as well and room for growth.

If one does not support the format of the FFVII:R, then one should talk with their wallet. The title, and future ones, will continue to make changes. If one does not support said changes, one can always play the older titles still. If that isn't enough, one can always see themselves out the door and partake in a different series' new installments. As long as the FF brand have existed, satisfying every person is impossible at this point.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

I love the people who say "turn based is a relic of the past". I mean, I guess that's why Fire Emblem has just crashed and burned so badly lately. That's why XCOM hasn't been a huge success. Why Bravely Default did so badly. Why Hearthstone is a massive failure. Why everyone hated Undertale.

The list could go on, but I'm honestly getting bored with it. The argument is just wrong.

Yes, if the AAA industry devs had their way, we would have three genres only: Sports games, first person shooters, and hacky-slash action games. But to pretend that demand for anything outside of these genres is remote, dying off, or only due to nostalgia is simply refusing to face reality.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I just looked up all those games and none of them sound much like Final Fantasy to start with (Tactics aside), except Bravely Default which is five years old at this point. Turn-based combat is not a relic of the past, but it's clearly now part of FF's past and like it or not, SE are unlikely to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by FinalxxSin View Post
    It's more of a challenge for the company to make an ARPG than a turn based style game at this point.
    I don't think that's true. With all of Square Enix's flagship series becoming ARPGs, and the industry in general trending towards ARPGs, it's not a risk to go with ARPGs because that's exactly what everyone else is doing.

In fact, it would be a challenge to create an amazing turn based game in 2017. Clearly SE doesn't want a challenge, so they're just playing it safe and copypasting the combat from Kingdom Hearts and FFXV.

It doesn't necessarily mean that there won't ever be a mainline big budget turn based game again, but there's obviously support behind ARPG titles as well and room for growth.
    There's no more room for growth. ARPGs have become exhausted because that's all SE have turned their games into.

I just looked up all those games and none of them sound much like Final Fantasy to start with (Tactics aside), except Bravely Default which is five years old at this point. Turn-based combat is not a relic of the past, but it's clearly now part of FF's past and like it or not, SE are unlikely to go back.
    That wasn't the point he was making. He was making the point that games can have "older" or "traditional combat" and still be hugely successful.

If SE are unlikely to go back, then I'm going to be more unlikely to enjoy their games. And I'll continue to be critical of their titles.
    Last edited by Scruffington; 03-27-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

SE are doing a FFVII remake (the very definition of a cash cow) and playing it safe? Surely not! Here was me thinking they were really going to push the boat out with this one.

Radical changes are inevitable, especially as technology increases allow that radical boundary to be pushed more and more with the mainline games. History tells no lies. I - V have more in common than VI - X which have more in common than XI - XV. The pattern should be evident. The consumer on an objective level has no say in what is a FF title and what is not. It only holds value on a head canon level. That call falls on the company and the developers on each project. The FFVII:R is not playing it safe, especially given its release format. Rather it pays off or not can only be told in time. FFXV is currently the fastest selling mainline title. There is a strong possibility that the title will end up being a top 3 series seller given how it will still be getting support for the rest of the year at the very least.

Turn based games are still successful today. However, many of them are extremely stagnant and do not have the reach that the FF mainline games do and are more likely to end up on a hand held system where sells do not need to be as high to turn a profit due to lower production costs. FF mainline title production costs are unlikely to decrease in general.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

Bravely Second came out last year, same with WOFF. So disagree. SE COULD go back, they just don't want too, because they want to cater to the teens/tweens who grew up with KH/ Crisis Core.