Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FFVII remake battles 'entirely action-based'

No JRPG is mainstream aside from Pokemon IMO. FF is niche in the grand scheme of things. Mainstream as far as JRPGs go but a niche in the wider world.

Gundam and Evangelion are niche in the wider world but they are the most mainstream Mecha anime. Same applies for FF.
    ღმერთის შვილი შეეხო და მითხრა, რომ ანგელოზთა ფეხები მომეხია.

I don't get it. It sounds more like they're doing a bunch of new different stuff but just putting the FFVII name to it, why? To sell more copies?

And suggesting that they change the story of disk 2 is ridiculous. You'll find no on else who disliked disk 2 more than I, but this is a FFVII remake, if you want to change the story, battle system, character design, world etc you might as well just created a brand new FF.

Honestly I just wanted to see FFVII but all HD'd up, kinda like Resident Evil, but I'm a simple man with simple pleasures. Every single update has slowly chipped away my enthusiasm for this game to the point where I could take it or leave it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh, I'm not saying they should completely change the story content of disc 2 - just present it in a way that actually makes sense. Heck, even just a better translation job would make it way more tolerable

This game is going to sell extremely well regardless if it were turn-based or action. Why not do the cheaper route, aka, turn-based/ATB? Make it like X-2 ATB with FF-XII elements and Xenogears style attacks.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    I don't get it. It sounds more like they're doing a bunch of new different stuff but just putting the FFVII name to it, why? To sell more copies?
    No, it sounds like they're remaking the game that many of us have been wanting for years. Advent Children, Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus...people didn't ask for that. They were made to simply cash in on the Final Fantasy VII name. And of course the remake is being made to cash in on the original game as well. Square Enix is a business after all, and businesses like to make money. But at least they finally gave the fans what they wanted, and I'm sure there will be many new fans as well.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

I also am not sure by what Square Enix means by saying things like they always wanted Action combat and that is why ATB existed to get around hardware limitations, despite the fact Action games such as Ys existed back then.

And if you want more money and casual mainstream western interest on the level of CoD or GTA, just make an AAA FPS title. There, problem solved. Stop making games in a niche genre.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Were people honestly expecting them to re-make the game exactly as before, only with 21st Century graphics and a better translation?
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Were people honestly expecting them to re-make the game exactly as before, only with 21st Century graphics and a better translation?
    This is exactly my point. The climate has changed substantially and SE wouldn't be able to achieve even part of their goals by just giving the game a face lift

I'm not saying I like or hate the changes, because I couldn't give a rat's ass, to be honest, but they were seriously to be expected

If they want those WRPG numbers then go ahead and do so. Turn your series into that style of game.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Of course not, there's plenty of things I would change about FFVII aside from the graphics and translation. However it's also not unreasonable to be critical about their design choices and the changes they are making either. They didn't have to remake FFVII. They could've made a brand new IP as an Action RPG or even Final Fantasy XVI.

I'm just going to quote another post I made:
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Why did Square call Final Fantasy XV that rather than, to borrow from Momiji, [INSERT NEW SQUARE ENIX IP HERE: BRO SKYRIM EDITION]? Brand recognition based on the success of previous entries in the series leading to greater commercial success. If you want to use that to drive sales of and interest in your game, you also have to accept the consequence of being held up against the previous games. Or rather, live by the sword, die by the sword.
    Live by the buster sword, die by the buster sword.

Brand name means nothing anymore. As long as you hype up and advertise a game to death with pretty graphics, it'll sell millions. No Man's Sky for one.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart Loire View Post
    Brand name means nothing anymore. As long as you hype up and advertise a game to death with pretty graphics, it'll sell millions. No Man's Sky for one.
    Look at the top 10. No Man's Sky, in case you're wondering, is #59.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart Loire View Post
    Look at the top 10. No Man's Sky, in case you're wondering, is #59.
    It turned out to be a POS.

It doesn't matter if other companies can be more successful making action games, they haven't been able to, and barring massive changes to the kinds of action games they make, there is no reason to expect significant changes in results. If their goal was to sell games to FPS fans, the only remotely reliable to do that would be to make an FPS. Making a slightly more high octane action RPG is not going to cut it. If their goal was to sell to GTA fans, they would have to make a completely open non-fantasy third person shooter with driving elements, not just put a realistic looking car that's glued to the road into their fantasy set, primarily sword based RPG. Half assed appeals to completely new demographics aren't going to get them anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Except XV sold really well.
    It did. But the PS1 titles sold way more and faster.