FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Haven't played Septerra Core, but Child of Light definitely has the vibe

It also has Oengus whom I love with all my heart

What JRPG does it feel like to you?
    ღმერთის შვილი შეეხო და მითხრა, რომ ანგელოზთა ფეხები მომეხია.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

A bit of Grandia, a bit FFVI, a bit KH - mostly its own thing though

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart Loire View Post
    I still think there needs to be a differentiation between the two though. FF, DQ, SMT, Xeno, Tales, etc. are different from Skyrim, Dragon Age, Witcher, etc.
    They're both dumb terms and should be done away with completely and forever.

Putting games in their appropriate 'genres' is really, really hard. There's some fairly old game design theory out there that discusses the difference between three 'levels' of game design. These levels are known as 'mechanics' 'dynamics' and 'aesthetics'. Mechanics are the rules of the game: you can hit a tree to collect wood. Dynamics are the types of play that emerge as a result of these rules: players build wooden swords to fight enemies. Aesthetics are the feelings these dynamics create: a sense of accomplishment and empowerment having crafted a new weapon.

We tend to define our game genres by mechanics, which is too low level. 'First person shooter'. What? How is that a genre? How is that a different genre that a game which is basically exactly the same except the camera is in a different position? And it doesn't help that we mix these in with narrative genres (e.g. horror) and regional labels (e.g. JRPG). Using dynamics would be a bit better. This is a shooting game. This is a crafting game. But still highly flawed.

Tl;dr - Pretty much any way of categorising games into genres is gonna be bad, because they are just too diverse even within the little groupings which seem similar at face value. But some ways are worse than others and I consider JRPG/WRPG pretty much the most worstest of all.

How would you label them?

Dunno, I've been thinking about this for years and I haven't come up with a good solution xD

I tend to just try and describe games on an individual basis rather than lump things into genres.

Would Monster Hunter be considered a JRPG?

Origin-wise yes. Style-wise no.

So per definition yes. For what matters for people, so what it plays and looks like, not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Origin-wise yes. Style-wise no.

So per definition yes. For what matters for people, so what it plays and looks like, not at all.
    DS, MH, or both?

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Given globalization and the abilities of modern computers jRPGs and wRPGs are kinda moot points in current generations. Unless you're referring to where they're designed that's about it but that in itself isn't useful. I think terms like aRPG and turn-base can be more useful regarding mechanics in general, yet what does RPG really mean these days really starts to break down as you look at everything that fits under the umbrella.

I mean, ultimately JRPGs aren't RPGs since you don't role-play in them. You just assume a Japanese anime character.

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart Loire View Post
    I mean, ultimately JRPGs aren't RPGs since you don't role-play in them. You just assume a Japanese anime character.
    That's exactly the kind of sentiment I was talking about in my criticism above. First - how are we defining 'role playing' here? If it's strictly the pen and paper approach, than western RPGs are hardly better. If the only requirement is to develop the statistics of your character then Japanese RPGs are just as good.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah. And even stating "you have to make your character and/or make decisions to really role-play" isn't really valid since DQIX, part of THE JRPG series if there ever was one, has you compose not just your player character, but your whole party. That's Icewind Dale-level "roleplay"

If I play an RPG I feel that I do. That is my difference. That is why I accept Zelda as Action-Adventure-RPG while others do not.

Of course Scribblenauts is the only true​ RPG