Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is Dark Souls a JRPG?

How about "Save Japanese World" games, or "SJW" for short?

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    How about "Save Japanese World" games, or "SJW" for short?
    Lol. That'd be the perfect game nowadays.
    ღმერთის შვილი შეეხო და მითხრა, რომ ანგელოზთა ფეხები მომეხია.

Bump. Do you guys consider Zelda a JRPG?

Action-Adventure-JRPG. A good mix of many things. Breath of the Wild alone is so much RPG-ish in my opinion and my favourite, Twilight Princess (after Nier Gestalt my favourite non-FF-Game) just does a fantastic job of fusing all the elements together. Many people consider Zelda to not be an RPG because you do not normally level up and have puzzles but that seems a bit of weird criteria to me. At least it is its very own Japanese Role-Playing Game of sorts. Even the developers call it an RPG, as far as I am aware.

What? They call it an Action-Adventure, game Sephiroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart Loire View Post
    What? They call it an Action-Adventure, game Sephiroth.
    I have read it somewhere once that several people of Nintendo, I think it was even Aonuma-san or so, called it an RPG. Or was it Miyamoto-san? I don't remember.

That was a long time ago, Sephiroth. Definitions have changed.

I see it as an Action-Adventure game with RPG elements. KH would be more of a JRPG.

What was a long time ago? An opinion of a person and therefore that person can longer have it? When one of them considers it an RPG they have all the right to still do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    What was a long time ago? An opinion of a person and therefore that person can longer have it? When one of them considers it an RPG they have all the right to still do so.
    Aonuma?

As said, I do not remember. It must have been Eiji Aonuma-san or Shigeru Miyamoto-san. Developers of course and not some random fans.

Yeah, but I think for the most part it's not a RPG. Oh well, it doesn't matter. People think God of War is an RPG.

People think Fable is an RPG, and that's pretty much Zelda. But they generally don't think Darksiders is an RPG and that's pretty much Zelda

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    People think Fable is an RPG, and that's pretty much Zelda. But they generally don't think Darksiders is an RPG and that's pretty much Zelda
    Really? I have seen a lot of people calling Darksiders an RPGish action game, especially the second one.

I've never actually went out and looked for it to be called that, I'm just surmising based on what little I gleaned when it came out and the fact that I never see it under RPG when perusing the genre on platforms. I guess it's just my exposure. But I guess that's beside the point. The real matter seems to be that ARPG games tend to straddle the line in a lot of people's eyes for some reason. And some people think the third person action variety are just action (possibly action-adventure games), while overhead versions (which tend to be more hack'n'slashy) games like Diablo are the only ARPGs in the minds of certain people. Case and point: Horizon: Zero Dawn is totally an action RPG, but people put the thread in General Gaming, and not General RPGs. In the end it's just splitting hairs, so it doesn't really matter. But it is interesting to see where different people draw different lines on the topic. It's not just Dark Souls and Zelda

Dark Souls is definitely a RPG IMO but not a JRPG. Zelda is more of an Action-Adventure game with RPG elements. I haven't played Horizon and know nothing about it so can't say.

RPGs can be action or turn-based, same goes for JRPGs. KH, Tales, Ys, and Star Ocean are definitely JRPGs with their linear shounen anime like storytelling.