Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Is Dark Souls a JRPG?

Is Pokemon a JRPG? No story in it, more like a monster collecting game
    ღმერთის შვილი შეეხო და მითხრა, რომ ანგელოზთა ფეხები მომეხია.

Others may, but I do not consider Pokemon an RPG. And if my arm were twisted to do so I would put it in the same category as Mystic Quest or Quest 64. Something that borrows heavily from RPGs but lacks any of the substance that would make it interesting as an RPG. It uses an RPG battle system and it's a 40 hour game. That's about it, to me

Is it a RPG?

Is it made in Japan?

Then it just might be a JRPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Others may, but I do not consider Pokemon an RPG. And if my arm were twisted to do so I would put it in the same category as Mystic Quest or Quest 64. Something that borrows heavily from RPGs but lacks any of the substance that would make it interesting as an RPG. It uses an RPG battle system and it's a 40 hour game. That's about it, to me
    Pokemon is 40 hours? I thought you could beat all of them in under 15 and that is without even rushing.

The main appeal of the game is the training and breeding anyways.

QUOTE=Example;3659594]Is it a RPG?

Is it made in Japan?

Then it just might be a JRPG.[/QUOTE]
    But it doesn't feel like one. A pizza made in Japan is still Italian food

After watching the Game Grumps play through it in 120 episodes on YouTube (supposed to be 10 - 15 minute episodes, so 1200 minutes, which I guess is only 20 - 25 hours), I just took a shot at a game length. And having only tried 2 Pokemon games in my life, both of which were extremely boring, my idea of how long the game can take may be skewed

Yes...Dark Souls is a JRPG. Any RPG game that is made in Japan, even if the people making it themselves aren't Japanese, is still a JRPG. The same holds true for WRPG titles. (An outside example can be found through the short anime Shelter) However, calling Dark Souls simply a JRPG is very vague, as there is a decent spectrum of what can be called an RPG in the first place. To be specific, Dark Souls is a Japanese ARPG.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

Quote Originally Posted by FinalxxSin View Post
    Yes...Dark Souls is a JRPG. Any RPG game that is made in Japan, even if the people making it themselves aren't Japanese, is still a JRPG. The same holds true for WRPG titles. (An outside example can be found through the short anime Shelter) However, calling Dark Souls simply a JRPG is very vague, as there is a decent spectrum of what can be called an RPG in the first place. To be specific, Dark Souls is a Japanese ARPG.
    So a Pizza made in Japan is Japanese? Okay, I get you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Finally, you've utterly failed in the same area that EVERYONE who has ever made the argument against the JRPG/WRPG terms has: You were unable to produce a viable term to use in it's place. It's a genre. You KNOW it's a genre, because you were able to single it out and define it, and everyone knew exactly what you meant. It's a individual style of games and game design that follows distinct conventions that are recognized universally by gamers, and who have given it a clear and obvious term based on that style's origin and history.
    Except of course, there are a fair chunk of players who consider Dark Souls a JRPG.

And I can never seem to get people to agree on exactly what criteria they consider 'JRPG'. I mean, almost without fail, people will say that both Final Fantasy Tactics and Hyperdimension Neptunia are JRPGs. But what do they share, exactly? Mechanically, FF Tactics is closer to both XCOM and Planescape: Torment than it is to Neptunia. In terms of narrative style and delivery it's much closer to those classic western CRPGs as well. And yet FFT is still widely accepted as 'JRPG'. Hell, I've seen Gravity Rush described as a JRPG!! What's the common link here? The art style is kinda anime-like? Surely that's not the depth of our genre definitions.

You're right in that critics of 'JRPG' don't provide alternatives, but that's because I feel that it's a nonsense 'genre'. It's simultaneously extraordinarily broad in scope (see the above example) while also encouraging an extremely narrow view of the games within it. I mean I cannot think of any other genre where people discuss and criticise the so-called "tropes" as much as they do for JRPG. So the reason I don't provide an alternative is because I don't think the games accepted as being within it have any right being grouped together as part of the same genre.

I would argue fairly strongly, that Final Fantasy XV is in the same genre as The Witcher 3, and not in the same genre as Final Fantasy VII. But what genre label would y'all give XV?
    Sure. Similarly, I know people who refuse to call Metroid Prime an FPS, because it's focus is on puzzles and exploration, not shooting. Even though to me, it's an FPS because it's first person, and a shooter. You'll never get 100% agreement, but that's not the point. There are large consensus agreements about the genres, though (and, really, I've never seen anyone say that FFT isn't a Tactical RPG. If you know someone who calls it a JRPG, ask them which genre title suits it better, and I'm pretty sure they'll say Tactical RPG over JRPG). And you can use them to get a decent feel about the style of game.

Which is also why JRPG as a term for RPGs "made in Japan" is useless, because country of origin tells us almost nothing about the game itself.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly? I consider Dark Souls to be more of an action game with RPG trappings than an actual RPG. If I had to stick between the two, it's a JRPG on a technical sense of being classified for some odd reason as one and it happened to be made in Japan. Stylistically, it's closer to a WRPG in terms of design when placed on a historical background. The most "traditional" JRPG that Dark Souls comes close to feeling like, barring the the fact the series as a whole is a spiritual successor to Demon's Souls which itself is a spiritual successor to King's Field, would be Vagrant Story; and that game itself falls into the weird design issue of not fitting neatly into its genre category either.

In the end though, who really gives a damn what genre it is, it's a great game regardless.