Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netflix - The OA

Default Netflix - The OA

It seems weird that there isn't a thread on this one yet (or maybe I missed it).
    Anyway I've finished to watch the show today and... well it's hard to talk about it. It's very unique, and it felt like a spiritual experience to a certain extent. I was very hooked into it after the first five minutes of the first episode and every single time I was left yearning to watch more. The ending was exactly what I was expecting. I knew they weren't going to give a specific answer and honestly I'm fine with that (though I get why many people didn't like it). It made me even more curious about the next season.
    I'm not sure if I'd encourage people to watch it, but imo it's a very powerful show.
    Last edited by Yubel-Lover; 03-15-2017 at 07:28 PM.
    FF games played so far: FFIV; FFVI; FFVII; FFX; FFX-2; FFXII; FFTA; FFXIII Trilogy

Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PS3)

Favourite FF games: FFVI; FFXII

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't even know what this show is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

FF games played so far: FFIV; FFVI; FFVII; FFX; FFX-2; FFXII; FFTA; FFXIII Trilogy

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's a weird show. Some of the weirdness is intriguing and some is just plain weird. I like Buck and Phyllis from The Office and the other neighborhood boys are interesting characters too. Much more interesting than the ones in OA's flashback, with the exception of Lucious Malfoy of course, but he's a bad guy so you can't like him. I agree with the OP that the ending was exactly what I thought it would be. If people are expecting them to answer all the questions by the end of the first season then you were not paying attention to this show. This is more of a Lost where it is more about the characters and the reveals are fed to you piecemeal and not until the very end of the series, if even that, will we get answers to the overarching questions.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i really liked the OA

but you're right there's more questions than asnwers at the end

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    If people are expecting them to answer all the questions by the end of the first season then you were not paying attention to this show. This is more of a Lost where it is more about the characters and the reveals are fed to you piecemeal and not until the very end of the series, if even that, will we get answers to the overarching questions.
    This. I read of many people disappointed by the ending, and, while I understand wanting to know what is going on, an open ending was probably the best way to finish the first season. The authors of the show said very clearly that they know exactly where they are going so I don't even worry about knowing everything at this point. I just wait eagerly for Part 2.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well, they said that with Lost too... different writers though.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Haven't watched Lost yet!
    (And I probably should...)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I thought this was boring. My brother put me on to this telling me it was sci-fi, but I waited for like 4 or 5 eps and I didn't really see the sci-fi part. How is that girl only like 27? She looks 35 at the minimum.

The show has nothing to do with sci-fi. And Brit Marling (OA) is actually 34, so maybe that's why.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I watched one episode and I didn't get into it at all. Moved on to Falling Skies now which is showing a lot of promise!

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll watch Brit Marling in anything. I'll watch Brit Marling read from a dictionary.

But this was one weird ass show. There were elements that I loooved. And parts of it that made me cringe so much I had to look away cause I couldn't deal with the 2nd hand embarrassment (all the dancing stuff). I dunno. Mixed bag.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It was, without a doubt, the worst show that I've ever watched through to the end. The concept kept me going for the first few episodes, cause it was an interesting idea. After a certain point though I was only watching because I'd come too far to not see how at ended, and because I assumed there had to be a reason that it was made into a show.

I was wrong. No reason. It's just some guys bad acid trip that a Netflix exec got drunk and greenlit one day.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

wow lots of upsets at the show eh

i get why it wouldn't be some people's bag tho

i quite enjoyed, looking forward to p2 if that ever happens

i think it was very raw so the cringing was probably intentional. it's not a show that's supposed to make you feel good, i think

the best simile i can think of is re-experiencing the worst parts of the growing phase of high school from a very alienated perspective

i think the trapped in the basement subplot is a metaphor for the entire experience of school here, and vice versa

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Yeah, I watched one episode and I didn't get into it at all. Moved on to Falling Skies now which is showing a lot of promise!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    I'll watch Brit Marling in anything. I'll watch Brit Marling read from a dictionary.

But this was one weird ass show. There were elements that I loooved. And parts of it that made me cringe so much I had to look away cause I couldn't deal with the 2nd hand embarrassment (all the dancing stuff). I dunno. Mixed bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    It was, without a doubt, the worst show that I've ever watched through to the end. The concept kept me going for the first few episodes, cause it was an interesting idea. After a certain point though I was only watching because I'd come too far to not see how at ended, and because I assumed there had to be a reason that it was made into a show.

I was wrong. No reason. It's just some guys bad acid trip that a Netflix exec got drunk and greenlit one day.
    It's definitely not a show for everyone, so it's very understandable that many people didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    i quite enjoyed, looking forward to p2 if that ever happens
    It's going to happen! Part 2 is confirmed!