Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Netflix - The OA

I found it very enjoyable. To be honest, I thought that the (SPOILER)"unreliable narrator" aspect was signposted too much, but maybe that was just me. As soon as OA opened her story with 'I'm actually the daughter of a Russian millionaire', I knew something was up

Brit Marling's performance had a bit of a "Keanu Reeves in The Matrix" feel to me: as in, her performance felt a bit flat occasionally, but I wasn't sure whether that was due to the character or the acting.

I totally understand why some people just couldn't stomach it: there are certain aspects which you either just accept as part of the premise of the story, or don't.

My only small criticism is that I feel like it could have gone a bit weirder, specifically in regards to the (SPOILER) imprisoned five's changing perceptions of reality and their place in it. But then, that might just be me being familiar with the genre: I read a LOT of sci-fi, as this fit pretty comfortably into the 'stange event and/or artifact unlocks a new level of human consciousness' category, so it felt to me a little bit like treading familiar ground.
    Last edited by Mr. Carnelian; 03-16-2017 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    My only small criticism is that I feel like it could have gone a bit weirder, specifically in regards to the (SPOILER) imprisoned five's changing perceptions of reality and their place in it. But then, that might just be me being familiar with the genre: I read a LOT of sci-fi, as this fit pretty comfortably into the 'stange event and/or artifact unlocks a new level of human consciousness' category, so it felt to me a little bit like treading familiar ground.
    When it comes to criticism I think that, as someone said previously, maybe a better characterization of the cellmates would have been nice, considering how much time The OA spends with them. The changing perception would be an interesting theme to explore, maybe there will be something about it in Part 2.
    FF games played so far: FFIV; FFVI; FFVII; FFX; FFX-2; FFXII; FFTA; FFXIII Trilogy

Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PS3)

Favourite FF games: FFVI; FFXII

Ugh. Everything was mostly fine until that ending. If that plot twist isnt basically retconned in Season 2, this thing is horrible.

(SPOILER)If Dream Endings are universally hated in a typical hour and a half movie. Why did they they think it was okay to make you invest 13 episodes or whatever. Madness.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i see what you're saying and had a similar feeling initially after the last episode

but what this show does and does well is turns what you think is happening upside down

just cause it's consensus that it's a "dream ending" between some of the characters, doesn't mean that it actually is

and after the the final few minutes i don't think it is