Thread: Buffy is 20

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Buffy is 20

How in the when and the why and the how did that actually happen? I really don't know!

20 years of Slayin' though!

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

One of the all-time great shows and and its existence means that Joss Whedon could do complete rubbish for the rest of his life and I'd still give him a free pass.

And for the record, season 5 is the best season, The Body is the best episode and Jonathan has the most depressing character arc of anyone in Buffy or Angel (Xander and Wesley come close, but they at least get to be occasionally cool and sleep with some attractive women along the way).

Top 10 episodes:

1. The Body (season 5)
    2. Hush (season 4)
    3. The Zeppo (season 3)
    4. Passion (season 2)
    5. The Gift (season 5)
    6. Graduation Day (season 3)
    7. Once More, With Feeling (season 6)
    8. Becoming (season 2)
    9. Intervention (season 5)
    10. Conversations with Dead People (season 7)
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Damn it's 20 years already... I recently watched the full show after more that 10 years and it was so good lol.
    Probably my favorite show of all-time. Agree that season 5 is the best though. The thing I liked the most was the development of the relationship between Buffy and Dawn, you can really see how they create a bond with each other. Season 2 and 6 were also pretty good.
    FF games played so far: FFIV; FFVI; FFVII; FFX; FFX-2; FFXII; FFTA; FFXIII Trilogy

Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PS3)

Favourite FF games: FFVI; FFXII

Still angry at Whedon for killing off Tara, tbh. It just HAD to be one of the gay characters who died, didn't it? Let fictional gay people be happy, damn it!

(SPOILER)Tara's death was needed to trigger (SPOILER)Dark Willow, so it was more of a plot reason. It had nothing to do with Tara being gay
    FF games played so far: FFIV; FFVI; FFVII; FFX; FFX-2; FFXII; FFTA; FFXIII Trilogy

Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PS3)

Favourite FF games: FFVI; FFXII

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Still angry at Whedon for killing off Tara, tbh. It just HAD to be one of the gay characters who died, didn't it? Let fictional gay people be happy, damn it!
    In fairness, Whedon does love killing people off in his shows (too much probably), not just the gay ones. A fair few died in Buffy before season 6!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm even scarred from Doctor Horrible's Singalong Blog

Articles
    Blog Entries

Don't get me started on Whedon killing off beloved characters. SERENITY.

Christ, I remember being 12 or so when this first hit the UK. How time flies.
    YE RAGIN', AYE?

Tara had to die. Amber Benson was playing that character like a plank of wood.

Back when it was airing, everyone I knew and everyone I showed the dvds too HATED Tara. I basically cheered when she bought it.

I don't even know if Amber Benson is to blame. I saw her as the lead in some schlock movie on Netflix years ago and she was noticeably better than that, but I find it hard to imagine the Buffy Directors/Execs demanded that weak performance.

Season 5 might be my favorite season but I dunno if it was the best overall. I think that title goes to Season 3. I absolutely adore Glory as a Big Bad but her backstory has several holes and just isn't as well thought out as The Mayor's. Then there was also Riley, who I do not hate but who is also hardly a real draw. Finally, Season 3 had Faith.

As forWhedon killing Tara, Joss has a painfully limited imagination if all he can think to do for Willow's character is to kill off her lover and make her go crazy. The fact is, a lot of people wrote Buffy. Whedon does not deserve all the credit. Similarly, he does not deserve all the blame. The worst episodes of Season 4 for instance were written by the same person. Point is, he alone did not make Buffy special, even from a writing standpoint. Although his type of dialogue is probably why Buffy survived Season 1, which was very generic outside of that Whedon dialogue.

I'm proud of the fact I watched the first Buffy episode when it debuted. I'm proud that the opening scene shocked and scared me. Even lil' me was savvy enough to understand that two people alone making out and hearing scary noises must mean something is going to attack them. But then, WHAT THE smurf HAPPENED TO HER FACE AND OH GOD.

Of course as the show went on with a lot of sex and violence, it went up to TV-14 and my grandma didn't let me watch it. I stopped somewhere around Season 3 and would only finish the series years later watching reruns on FX.

Buffy is a fundamental part of my geek-ness and I will always prefer it to Angel, even if Angel never sunk to the lows Buffy did with Season 6.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Buffy is a fundamental part of my geek-ness and I will always prefer it to Angel, even if Angel never sunk to the lows Buffy did with Season 6.
    I beg to differ: the last third or so of season 4 Angel.

Season 4 is the best season of Angel!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

They did Cordelia so wrong, it was the worst.

Angel used to be my favorite show. Cordelia was the heart of that show. As soon as (actual) Cordelia leaves it was dealt a fatal blow as far as Im concerned. Don't get me wrong I still watched the rest of it but it was basically downhill from there.

People LOVE Season 5. I felt it was easily the weakest and the most forced/unnatural.