Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accusing people of asking "stupid questions" is a terrible idea

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Colbert Accusing people of asking "stupid questions" is a terrible idea

Am I the only one who thinks this?
    Personally I consider it to be fairly insulting and respectless to call someone's question "stupid", since any honest search for knowledge should be encouraged.
    It is to some degree exactly this "stupid question" nonsense that discourages students at school from asking questions in class - because a lot of them are worried that their questions will be called "stupid" or get ridiculed in some way.
    Some videos on YouTube and similar sites have made some attempts where they pretend that there are "no stupid questions" and then have characters ask questions that are supposed to come off as "stupid", just to try and make a counterargument;
    but those videos usually fail pretty hard on that, because there isn't even anything wrong with the questions themselves - the are just asked in the wrong situations, like for example I remember a video like this that took place in a classroom and for some reason one of the students thought that this was a great situation to ask the teacher how her pet salamander was doing or something - and this was supposed to be a "stupid" question.
    That's not a "stupid" question, it's just a question that should have been asked outside of class.
    Another video had some guy ask how a thermos knows the difference between heat and cold - there is nothing "stupid" about that question either, he was basically just asking how a thermos works.

The way I see it, the only so-called stupid questions are the questions that should never ever be asked at all, since they would cause great concern.
    For example, it could certainly count as a stupid question if an airplane pilot suddenly asked the passengers "um, how do you fly again?", since this would obviously be a sign of an alarming incompetence, and that pilot should get fired as soon as possible.
    But as long as someone isn't trying to be mean to anyone, and as long as there is no reason to worry about something, then I consider it normal manners to give a polite answer to someone if they actually want to learn about something.
    If a question comes off as "stupid" then you have most likely just not realised why it is being asked.
    Imagine for example if someone suddenly has to take the bus in a hurry, and then asks the driver where it is heading.
    Some people might react like "lol read the sign", but those people don't realise that this person may actually suffer from dyslexia and thus have problems reading signs quickly and accurately, or maybe they just didn't notice the sign even though they were looking for it.
    There are lots of possible explanations like this.
    If you think a question sounds weird, then you should ask the person why (s)he is asking that question instead of acting condescending.

Also, what does anyone get out of someone calling a question stupid anyway?
    "Stupid question" - okay, and...?
    Now that you have clearly expressed that you totally don't dig the other person's question, where are you hoping to go from there?
    Is this just some attempt to express dominance by being like "hah! gotcha! now I made you feel stupid for a while"?
    No seriously, nobody earns anything at all from this, it just annoys the questioner and that's it.
    Last edited by Peter1986; 04-09-2017 at 11:54 AM.