FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Boco Yooka-Laylee, aka Banjo-Threeie, aka I'm 14 years old again

Lovin' it. It really is just B-K 3.

Oddly enough it's getting pretty mediocre reviews for being just that. I kinda thought that's what people wanted. But then again, they gave The Last Guardian trout for being a throwback as well. I guess they wanted the game to live up to rose-colored expectations, and forgot how bad cameras were back then and how annoying and repetitive collect-a-thons are

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've played a little bit and it's great. They promised basically banjo kazooie and that's what it is.

I don't foresee myself playing it all the time as I have to be in the right mood for collectathons, but that's okay. It was a good purchase and almost felt free since I paid for it so long ago.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

B-but the internet said it sucked and someone made an entertaining video showing it sucked! I mean, I haven't played a minute of it, but since the internet as a whole has decreed it sucked, I guess that's it! Pack it up, we're done here!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Oh is it out today? I'll have to wait until I finish my current new games before I'll allow myself anymore but I definitely want this.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Oddly enough it's getting pretty mediocre reviews for being just that. I kinda thought that's what people wanted. But then again, they gave The Last Guardian trout for being a throwback as well. I guess they wanted the game to live up to rose-colored expectations, and forgot how bad cameras were back then and how annoying and repetitive collect-a-thons are
    To be fair, I know of at least two reviewers who have said it's not just that it hasn't included any of the improvements in the genre that have happened since Banjo Kazooie and the second one, but actually does some things worse than those games did.

Not that it matters. I hated both of those games when they were released so I have zero intention of playing something that is at best being described as a throw back to them specifically.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The reviews are definitely mixed. However, some of them basically criticize it for playing like a game from the late 1990s, which seems like what this was going for in the first place. I think a problem with reviews today is that they give too much weight to breaking new ground and addressing every trend in the history of that genre up until this point. I mean, if FFVII came out today I'm sure they'd criticize the blocky graphics and random encounters.

Fair enough as Vivi pointed out, some of the reviews did criticize it for regressing in some areas even when compared to the older games.

YL is clearly meant as a throwback to the old N64 3D platforming era (which had some great games), and as far as I can tell it succeeded. It doesn't need to revolutionize that genre if it was already great.

Griping done. I'll definitely play this at some point.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Most of the people reviewing the game probably weren't old enough to play games in the 90s.

Just thought I'd put this here, because it's a review discussion from some people who were dedicated Banjo fans explaining why they don't like this game as much as they like the original.

Level design, mini-games, and conveyance seem to be the major issues that it has.

As for me, I'm still waiting (along with many others, apparently) on the distribution of copies to backers.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've not played it, but although I suppose I can see a few conventions you might want to have updated, it was explicitly designed and marketed from the start as a game to be the successor to B-K. It's hardly surprising that it would aim for just that!

Perhaps it'd be more fair to judge them for a 'lack of innovation' when Twoka-Laylee and Yooka-Laythree are out and make no innovations?

Also, thanks for sharing that vid Skyblade, it's good to get some thoughts like that!

Never played Banjo before, is this a good place to start?