Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chrono Cross - favorite character?

I had to look up his name and I barely remember why, but Karsh.

Nearly any character who gains a particular upgrade or new ability when you find a specific item.

Here's my complete list:
    Serge with Mastermune * (although I hate the name Mastermune, why couldn't they have stuck with Grandleon?)
    Skelly * (no upgrades, but an undead ally is always neat)
    Lynx * (come on, he's the only cat man in the game)
    Guile **
    Norris **
    Viper with Venom *
    Pierre with Hero's Blade *
    Zoah *
    Nikki * (raise those goat-horns Nikki!)
    Radius * (I love when a frail old person turns out to be a total badass)
    Glenn with Einlanzer ** (can't decide which version of Einlanzer looks cooler, it's slightly altered from the key item, but bonus that Glenn gets two of them)
    Harle ** (same reason I like Harley Quinn... "spro-")
    Turnip * (my Frog is back!)
    Greco *
    Steena *
    Grobyc *
    Orlha after meeting her sister *

Non-plays:
    Dario (although I detest the Masamune's design, I chalk it up to Soul Edge-y corruption)
    Garai
    Slash (I think he looks cooler in CC)
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Glenn I guess. I mean he's the cool guy with the sword.

I played this around 17 years ago, and I don't remember the characters except for Serge and Kid. This game isn't very memorable and so are the characters, and add that there are too many of them.
    "I'm a general, not some opera floozy!"

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

There's a lot of memorable ones.

Kid, Harle, and Fungi stick out, I guess.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I liked Karsh Glenn and Harle.

Karsh, because talking to his parents gave me a completely different view of his character, as I originally thought he was going to be your standard Tseng/Seifer type character (I'd say Reno, but he's closer to Tseng in terms of personality). Glenn because I really like his design. Harle's just fun to have in the party. I like her dialogue and animations.
    Returners Represent!

I'm doing my first real replay of this game to try out a hard mod and I'm interested to see what characters I end up liking. I kinda shelved everyone else and just focused on Kid when I played it last time, even though she's out of your party for frickin' EVER. But given I will be exploring more and taking my time this go around, I hope to find a ton of characters I missed and use others I ignored.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    I'm doing my first real replay of this game to try out a hard mod and I'm interested to see what characters I end up liking. I kinda shelved everyone else and just focused on Kid when I played it last time, even though she's out of your party for frickin' EVER. But given I will be exploring more and taking my time this go around, I hope to find a ton of characters I missed and use others I ignored.
    You should try to recruit Leena, especially since she has one of the best special techs in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    You should try to recruit Leena, especially since she has one of the best special techs in the game.
    I was thinking about that but it involves me being mean to Kid. There's so much counterintuitive trout in this game.

Kid saves your life? Tell her to take a hike.
    She's dying? Say oh well.

I did the second one for you all back when I played CC. I GOT GLENN, ARE YOU smurfING HAPPY?!!!! Wasn't even worth it, never used the dope. Karsh was my man.

But yeah...I might get Leena even though I feel bad for cheating on my new, better girlfriend with an alternate reality version of my old girlfriend. Her and her dumb frying pan.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You didn't do the quest to get the second Einhander did you? Cause otherwise, Glenn is actually one of the game's strongest characters. Leena is physically weak, but makes up for it by having the only tech skill in the game that can restore all of your party's elements within battle. Making her rather ideal for the final boss or challenge runs.

I think I did, I just never used him. My favorite characters were Kid and Karsh so I used them. Unless they are absolutely awful to use, I pretty much always roll with characters I like in terms of their story more than based just on their gameplay.

This might be a bit different for a second run of CC of course when I'm gonna shuffle people about and give different characters a go and try to recruit the folks I missed. Also gonna try to complete the Marbule sidequest this time since I totally missed it last run.

That is a pretty awesome skill for Leena, though.... Does everyone have a Level 8 unique skill? That seems like a lot of sidequests or stuff.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think I did, I just never used him. My favorite characters were Kid and Karsh so I used them. Unless they are absolutely awful to use, I pretty much always roll with characters I like in terms of their story more than based just on their gameplay.

This might be a bit different for a second run of CC of course when I'm gonna shuffle people about and give different characters a go and try to recruit the folks I missed. Also gonna try to complete the Marbule sidequest this time since I totally missed it last run.

That is a pretty awesome skill for Leena, though.... Does everyone have a Level 8 unique skill? That seems like a lot of sidequests or stuff.
    They all do, but only some of them I think need a quest to unlock them. Most of the quests are also pretty easy if memory serves me correct as many of them are simply just a matter of taking certain characters to certain locations to get the skill.

Who do you plan to sneak into Viper Manor with?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

They all do, but only some of them I think need a quest to unlock them. Most of the quests are also pretty easy if memory serves me correct as many of them are simply just a matter of taking certain characters to certain locations to get the skill.

Who do you plan to sneak into Viper Manor with?
    It's a choice between Guile, Nikki and Pierre, right? I did it with Guile on my one complete run, Nikki on a very brief and quickly aborted second run and I guess that just leaves Pierre if I want to see something different.

Of course, I mainly know Pierre from how he would go on to challenge Lynx and save the world. He, Solt and Peppor would never be heard from again, though....

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pierre is definitely the comic relief character of the two. His saving grace is that he is an absolute beast of a character if you obtain his complete Hero Set of equipment, but that requires at least a second playthrough as two pieces are only available in different scenarios based on whether you saved Kid or not. Nikki is a good choice if you plan on doing the Marbule Quest, since his relationship with Fargo and that whole quest plays a large part of his story. It's a shame the most story-centric of the three is also the crappiest character...

Yeah I don't care much for Nikki, either.

I have a short, simple list of things that could make Chrono Cross a much better game and one of them is simply restoring Guile as Magus. I rememver even seeing some hack or whatever that did this but only in terms of gameplay or something.....

My other idea to improve CC is making most of the cast FFF2 and 4-style temporary characters. Main characters would be reduced to:
    Serge
    Kid
    Harle
    Guile/Magus
    Glenn
    Riddel
    Karsh
    Fargo
    Nikki (or Marcy or somebody to represent the Demihuman subplot)
    Starrky and one or two other gimmicky characters.