Thread: Games that you remember being better...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

:monster: Games that you remember being better...

Ever played a game that you initially enjoyed and then shelved and went on to other things only to come back for some good old nostalgia and instead found the overall experience a bit lacking?

I recently went back through the Xenosaga Trilogy and finally replayed Episode 3 after maybe a decade since playing it originally and was a bit more disappointed with the whole thing than I remember. I blame part of it on being so close to the Xeno community at the time and knowing about the franchise's problematic backstage drama. I likely went into the game with abysmal expectations and thus it came out smelling like roses instead at the time. Of course without those feelings, time for my gaming tastes to refine a bit, and power playing through the whole trilogy to see the series in a broader context; I kind of found the whole thing a bit of a jumbled mess and was disappointed to see a few features I loved in the series disappear for inexplicable reasons. It was kind of sad to see really. It didn't help that I did a similar type of playthrough of Suikoden earlier last year and came back from Suikoden V, another game I played sparingly for some baffling reason, and came away thinking it might be one of the best entries in the series.

Anyone else been through this?