Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Play the game, skip the plot...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Red Exclamation Mark Play the game, skip the plot...

What are some games you love but can honestly say you're only here for the core game and usually leave to make a sandwich when the actual story parts come into play?

I'm going to say Fighting games in general since most have terrible storytelling. Devil May Cry is also a series where the plot is touch and go, and even the few that had a decent plot, it's hardly worth the price of admission compared to that sweet sweet gameplay. Dragon Quest is also like this for me as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Honestly cannot think of one, at least not one where the story is more intrusive than "you can skip this by holding a button for 3 seconds", like, say, Touhou or Ougon Musou Kyoku.

I guess the main plot of FFX-2 qualifies though, at least.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFX-2, yeah. Fighting games also, as WK mentioned

Ape Escape. I don't care why I'm catching monkeys, I just want to catch monekys

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Honestly, most of them.

The vast majority of the time when I play games I'm playing for the gameplay, there are a couple of rare exceptions (Dragon Age series) but no I'm usually playing for gameplay. If I don't like the game mechanics I will almost always quit, even if it's the greatest story ever told. I'm that person who finishes a game and then immediately forgets all the names of the characters and the whole plotline.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think I pretty much always play a game for the plot, so skipping the plot never really happens, unless the game doesn't have a plot, like the Worms Armageddon series, or The Sims series (where game and plot kinda overlap).

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Prototype. There's something about the govment and viruses and your sister or something. I only advanced the plot to get new toys.

Divinity: Original Sin has a pretty bland main storyline compared to the incredible combat mechanics. Although the non-main-story subplots are pretty good.

Wet. Plot is practically nonexistent, but jumping around shooting waves of mooks in slow-mo to a rockabilly soundtrack is extremely entertaining.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh, talking about shooting things silly: DmC. I mean, the plot was... eh? Okay, but the gameplay was fun. I love getting a good combo going and SSSensational appearing on the screen.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Most video games tbh

Banned

I actually do that all the time in the "Ninja Gaiden" games for the NES;
    I have pretty much forgotten that they even have plot scenes between the stages!
    I should probably try watching them some time.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I've clocked up hundreds of hours playing the Halo games and I have no idea what the plot to any of them is. I can't smurfing stand more than a few seconds of the cut scenes. All I need to know is that a large number of rather cross aliens who wish to shoot me have popped up in various exotic locations and I must give them a jolly good thrashing.

About the only example that comes to mind is last year's Attack on Titan: Wings of Freedom, because it's superbly fun on the gameplay front and I'd recommend it for that alone, but it's also an adaptation of a story I already know, and the cutscenes are just 3D-rendered scenes from the anime that don't matter.

Aside from that, I honestly can't think of many. I'm a big proponent of gaming as a storytelling medium, and I'll give any story a shot, even generally throwaway ones like 80% of fighting games. I don't recall ever actively skipping cutscenes for any game except when replaying pure gameplay-focused ones.

Closest thing I can say is probably Dragons Dogma. The story of somehow both completely outlandish and completely boring. And on that note I would be tempted to also say Dragons Crown but beat em up games would probably all fit this

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Joust, never knew why we were jousting on ostriches, nor did we care, we just did.