Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch the plot, skip the gameplay

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Watch the plot, skip the gameplay

The opposite of the other thread, name some games you only play because you love the story but generally hate the gameplay or at least know it's the weak link.

inb4 someone mentions Xenogears.

Crisis Core. I enjoyed the story but I did not like the game play. Watching the DMW wheel limit breaks every battle was soooo annoying.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    The opposite of the other thread, name some games you only play because you love the story but generally hate the gameplay or at least know it's the weak link.

inb4 someone mentions Xenogears.
    Xeno...

Oh

Also Chrono Cross

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i liked chrono cross! lots to explore! rpgs are mostly about environments and exploration for me anyway, and the fights are honestly just things that get in the way

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Undertale, I'm not a fan of bullet hell but the characters and story were super charming.

Dragon Age Inquisition - I liked the gameplay in this game the least of the entire series but I pushed through so I could see the series' story wrapped up to its current point. (I won't lie though, the first two games were much better in both the gameplay and story/character department)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Strangely, I'm the opposite: Dragon Age II had the least fun gameplay for me out of the series, yet the story is probably the best, tightly compacted one there is.

Other games where the plot is great but the gameplay is only 'good enough' include the First Mass Effect game. Story was fantastic, but the gameplay was only not excellent. It had good moments, though.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Strangely, I'm the opposite: Dragon Age II had the least fun gameplay for me out of the series, yet the story is probably the best, tightly compacted one there is.
    Nah that's totally not the opposite, I agree with you 100% on the story and the gameplay wasn't my favorite either (it worked well enough, though). (DAO has my favorite combat in the series because it's old-school and we all know I'm a sucker for that)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thought of another one: Silent Hill.

The Team Silent entries have great stories and characters, and I'll agree the interactive nature of the medium helps make the world and events even more unsettling, but I would seriously be lying if I said that actual gameplay/puzzle aspect of the game was the primary draw of these titles. Considering the games carry over a lot of my least favorite elements from other games like tank controls, contrived door lock puzzles, and troutty auto-aim; I sometimes wonder how I made it through some of them.

Really only Xenosaga Episode 2.

Beyond Two Souls
    + Life is Strange
    + Heavy Rain
    + Shenmue
    + Shenmue II
    + ...

I am glad that there is at least some gameplay.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 04-17-2017 at 11:24 PM.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

All the Telltale games. Choices that mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things interspersed with QTEs? Ehhhh. Much prefer to watch LPers play them now.

Halo Wars. Good story, gorgeous cutscenes, snoozeworthy gameplay.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Im not a big fps fan but after watching mirrors edge playthroughs I got the game

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    All the Telltale games. Choices that mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things interspersed with QTEs? Ehhhh. Much prefer to watch LPers play them now.
    I hate the games too, but do enjoy the stories. Also love the Assasins Creed stories, but movement and combat is just really glitchy.

Thirding Telltale games, though I have more tolerance for the basic gameplay and think the "meaningless" choices get far too much flak -- I can't often get immersed in the master-class storytelling and characters if my hands aren't on the controller. Most environmental narrative games / "walking simulators" and plot-focused indie RPGs like The Crooked Man or To The Moon, as well.

Really, the pick that always jumps to mind for this subject is Asura's Wrath. The story and fight cutscenes are some of the most grandiose, outlandishly scaled, and yet strangely moving stuff I've ever seen, and the world and characters are pretty interesting and unique. All the same, the best parts of it are barely interactive beyond admittedly satisfying button prompts, and the active combat sequences are repetitive, wafer-thin, and free of challenge. It's one of few games I can think of that provides exactly the same experience whether you're watching a good playthrough on YouTube or playing it yourself.