Thread: Good PSP JRPGs

Default Good PSP JRPGs

My PSP has been sitting collecting dust for awhile now, and it's a shame I haven't tapped into all the JRPGs that are on it. Do you guys have any suggestions for some good JRPGs for the original PSP?

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

The Final Fantasy Tatics Port is amazing on it. It's my favourite version of the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Trails in the Sky, Hexyz Force, Star: Ocean, Second Evolution (not original to the system but updated with new thingies and everything), Ys Seven, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Persona 3 Portable (Whole new route added, can be a female character in this version)

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'd second Persona 3 Portable and the Final Fantasy Tactics port.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Adding Fate/extra, Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time, and Lunar Silverstar Harmony to the above.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ohh I so want to try Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Tactics Ogre was one of the best remasters I've ever seen. Also Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 (3 would need to be translated from Japanese) are great as well. PSP was actually a great system for JRPGs. A remastered version of the first Star Ocean game is also available.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you end up not playing any JRPGs on it, can I have it? I've wanted to play Crisis Core like forever...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    If you end up not playing any JRPGs on it, can I have it? I've wanted to play Crisis Core like forever...
    As a friend, I'm going to intervene and save you several mind numbing hours that is playing Crisis Core with this three minute video.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Crisis Core isn't terrible, though. Sure, the story is mind-numbingly stupid, but Zack himself is pretty likeable and the battle system is pretty enjoyable, even if the side-missions are hilariously padded by ring just infinite gauntlets of the same enemies over and over. Is it an incredibly flawed game that many people love way more than it deserves for weird reasons? Of course. But it's also worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    (SPOILER)

• Genesis hurt himself in a battle with Sephiroth. Angeal functioned as blood donor. During that process Genesis found out, he was a part of JENOVA Project Gillian, thus he deserted, taking ShinRa SOLDIERs with him that he injected G cells with
    • Angeal was sent with Zack to investigate Wutai and Zack, Angeal and Sephiroth found the first "Genesis Copies"
    • Genesis attacks his and Angeal's hometown revealing that SOLDIERs are "monsters" while spreading a giant black wing
    • Genesis attacks Midgar, while Sephiroth and Zack mow down the threats; the two then investigate the Mako Reactor 5; meanwhile Angeal is also gone and Sephiroth and Zack find the first "Angeal Copies"; Sephiroth reveals then that the three were friends and the battle scene in the simulator room is shown were Genesis was hurt; Sephiroth still does not know what exactly is going on but concludes Genesis and Angeal are collaborating with a former ShinRa scientist called Hollander
    • They find the first reports of Project G; which Sephiroth interpretes as Genesis while actually it stands for Gillian because Angeal and Genesis' roots are Gillian, Genesis appears next to Hollander and explains a bit more about the dark experiments and betrayal of ShinRa, also they suffer from cells degradation, one of the side effects of Jenova in case you are not Sephiroth, meanwhile Zack meets Angeal again and he wants to fight the young SOLDIER because Angeal himself fears he would become a monster through all this process, an "enemy of the world"; Zack falls down in Cloud fashion and meets Aerith
    • Zack and Aerith have their first date and he gives her the pink ribbon
    • Zack and Tsung are sent to Modeoheim were they find Genesis; Zack meets Cloud for the first time; after a battle Genesis acts as if he commits suicide
    • A while later Angeal forces Zack to kill him by forcing himself to transform into a Jenova entity called "Angeal Penance", thus forcing Zack to kill him before he actually loses control and Zack is given the Buster Sword, at this point, while Hollander said Angeal was perfect you realize that Angeal was far from perfect because a) he feared he would transform without him even wanting it and b) after the transformation you can also see cell degradation for Angeal
    • Zack is totally down because of Angeal but is consoled by Aerith
    • Zack visits Costa del Sol and and finds out, Genesis is still alive and attacking Junon; after saving the town, Sephiroth allows Zack to leave for Midgar because he can clearly see that Zack wants to go see Aerith, thus dismissing him with a grin; sweet irony
    • Zack spends some time with Aerith
    • Nibelheim Incident - Genesis appears inbetween and tells Sephiroth that Jenova is an alien but Sephiroth does not believe him after he finds Gast Faremis' wrong documents, believing they are Cetra and he becomes the greatest person of all time - universal, not an opinion!
    • Cloud and Zack barely survive Sephiroth, Hojo experiments on them
    • Zack escapes with Cloud, realizing ShinRa is after them
    • After meeting SOLDIER manager Lazard who is Rufus' half-brother and at that point an Angeal clone already, they visit the Banora ruins after killing Hollander who also got G cells
    • Zack meets Genesis and they fight (Genesis who was hot for Sephiroth's Jenova S-Cells really wants them but Sephiroth said go screw yourself so he wants to get them from Cloud, which he and his clones already tried while Zack and Cloud were doing their roadtrip)
    • He bring Genesis outside, Lazard dies from the cell degradation, Zack and Cloud leave now that he has finally received a letter from Aerith and realizes that years have passed
    • Weiss and Nero pick up Genesis and seal him under Midgar
    • Zack wants to become a mercenary but swears he will not abandon Cloud
    • Zack dies as hero while Aerith who thinks he just forgot about her and found a new girlfriend (said in FFVII) feels that he returns to the planet (though she does not say anything so she is obviously not exactly sure that it is him)

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Sure, the story is mind-numbingly stupid
    No wonder you were transformed into a beast.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 04-18-2017 at 09:53 AM.