Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horrible Gifts

Default Horrible Gifts

So a few weeks back on my birthday, one of my friends gave me a little charm button thingy for Crocs. At first it was whatever, but I realize now it maybe the worst gift I've ever received!

First of all, I don't wear Crocs. Nor am I the kind of person who would wear Crocs. I talk about shoes all the time. Which kind I like, which ones look cool etc. I have never said a word about liking or wanting Crocs.

So this charm has no utility to me. It is bound for the trashcan someday.

It's not even about me being picky or wanting something expensive. Even a hug or something would have been better. But a freaking shoe charm that I can't use. I just... what. What am I supposed to do with it??

What are the worst gifts you've received?

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Oh Yar Yar Yar... have you never head of the saying "It's the thought that counts"

I don't really get many gifts when it comes to Birthdays/Christmas but I am always sure to be thankful for each and every gift that I receive and if someone ever gives me a gift that I don't want or need then I have something to give away to someone else.

Btw, as I type this to you I am wearing a pair of Crocs xD

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carl the Llama View Post
    Oh Yar Yar Yar... have you never head of the saying "It's the thought that counts"
    Clearly the thought running through Yar's friend was this:

Just how much thought was really taken? Sure it is the thought that counts, but when so little thought has been taken into consideration, questions must be made.

It'd be like if someone earnestly gave me a lump of poo. Ur...thanks?

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl the Llama View Post
    Clearly the thought running through Yar's friend was this:

Just how much thought was really taken? Sure it is the thought that counts, but when so little thought has been taken into consideration, questions must be made.

It'd be like if someone earnestly gave me a lump of poo. Ur...thanks?
    It's not the thought that went into the gift, it's the thought that it was his birthday and the person went out and bought him something out of his own pocket.

I know its no comparison but this thread made me think of this:

Again I know it's no comparison but that's just me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'm the kind of guy who gives out useless gifts. I do have a few that I've got, though, mostly ornamental ones or keyring decorations I don't want or whatever.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Being a girl who was never into girl things has resulted in several horrible/useless gifts growing up. Barbies (gave them to my brother, HE liked them), earrings (never had my ears pierced so can't use 'em... ) and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    . Barbies (gave them to my brother, HE liked them),

Yeah, I knew some guy who kept naked barbies....had major crushes on anime characters too (nothing like loving someone who isn't real).

Probably the worst was a jam and cheese tray from my brother to me and my two other siblings too......I'd rather have nothing than that.......And he even bought two friends of his a pot of gold chocolates each. He always had some weird obsession with his male friends though

Blog Entries

I got crappy Shampoo & Conditioner from my sister. Literally. I got like 3 bottles of each and it's the kind that jacks up my hair to no end with the shampoo and then I have to use 1/2 a bottle of the conditioner to get it to make my hair feel right. I was like "You gotta be joking me right now... A $10 gift card would've easily sufficed, dude. At least that's what I got -you- anyway." I'd even gone so far as to order one from Bonefish Grille (one of the few places that has a decent gluten-free menu).

I was really tempted to re-gift them back to her later, but I didn't. She made up for it the year after that though when she gave me another of her 8 million Coach bags she doesn't use.

I'm a gift-card person. IDK what people like or if they'll love or hate what I give them, so I just go the gift card route... It's rare that I come up with something cute/thoughtful..
    I think the last time was the 1st Xmas I spent with my ex. He'd gotten a new printer for his laptop, so I bought him a package each of printer & photo paper, extra ink cartridges, a photo album, and had some of the pictures of him & his son printed off from his digital camera & put them in the album & put it all in a big basket for him along with his favorite snacky foods. Creativity & thoughtfulness only happens with me like once every 5 years or so.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Ice View Post

Probably the worst was a jam and cheese tray from my brother to me and my two other siblings too......I'd rather have nothing than that.......And he even bought two friends of his a pot of gold chocolates each. He always had some weird obsession with his male friends though
    Dude, that's an awesome gift. I don't know what's wrong with you.

Also, this thread is sort of childish, selfish, and complaining. I've gotten gifts that I didn't care much for or about, but I was still appreciative because like Carl said, someone spent time and/or money getting me something when they didn't have to. I don't care if it's your best friend or your family or your husband and it's Christmas or your birthday. They don't have to get you anything, and you should be grateful that someone out there cares enough about you to even attempt to get you something to recognize you're important to them.
    Last edited by Jinx; 07-23-2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: It was Carl...don't know why I said Lynx. :confused:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Also, this thread is sort of childish, selfish, and complaining.
    ...Welcome to General Chat?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Also, this thread is sort of childish, selfish, and complaining.
    By complaining about the thread, you are contributing to the theme.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

For Christmas, my family used to point out how my hair looks awful, my shirt is too wrinkled, why am I wearing those pants to a dinner? It's not like I'm working in the garden, I walk crooked, I don't sit up straight, I don't cut properly, wait this year I do cut properly, where did I learn that? It's just family, why am I cutting like I'm pretending I'm superior or something? Haven't you had enough potatoes? What do you mean you don't like onions? Eat them anyways, they're good for you.

Dude, that's an awesome gift. I don't know what's wrong with you.

More than one thing I'm sure of it

Also, this thread is sort of childish, selfish, and complaining. I've gotten gifts that I didn't care much for or about, but I was still appreciative because like Carl said, someone spent time and/or money getting me something when they didn't have to. I don't care if it's your best friend or your family or your husband and it's Christmas or your birthday. They don't have to get you anything, and you should be grateful that someone out there cares enough about you to even attempt to get you something to recognize you're important to them.

But instead of going out of their way to get you something they just pick up and hand it to you, wouldn't you rather have them save their money and buy something important for themself?

They could keep that five dollars and make use of it rather than giving someone something they'll just throw out later.

Even a hand made card or nothing at all is much better than the person giving you something you'll toss as it's money wasted.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Except the fact that when buying gifts very few people go, "Hm...now what will so-and-so not like at all? I'll get them something they'll bitch about and throw away instead of genuinely like!"

People don't buy gifts like that, so saying that they should save their money instead of wasting it on trout is just rude. It really, really is.

Not to mention, as I said earlier, not everyone buys gifts because they feel entitled to. Some people buy gifts because they want to make someone happy or feel good, or to simply show they love that person. And saying, "Oh man, they bought me trout" is really a slap in the face to someone who was doing something nice for you.

Again: you don't have to like everything that you get. That's not what I'm saying. Complaining about it when they don't have to get you anything? Crappy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

The only time I complain about gifts is when people buy me a joint birthday-Christmas present because my birthday falls near Christmas. That's not cool at all, man.

Otherwise, yeah, I try to appreciate any gift that people get me, regardless of how dumb/much I don't like it. :3