Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Thread: Mafia XXX Game Thread - DESPAIR!!! At Hope's Peak Academy!

Depends on the situation usually. I don't think it's an instant tell for nefarious deeds like others have stated in past games. Usually, to me, that's a reach.

Really it depends on the flow of the game and size and conditions and and and. All the variables!

I'm categorically against no-lynch on day one. Just can't see that being a good idea for the class.

So far I really can't get a vibe off anyone as of yet because there hasn't been too much discussed. Mostly it's just been checking in posts. We're almost at the half way point and it's been pretty hush hush around here

Quote Originally Posted by [M] Gundham View Post
    I'm categorically against no-lynch on day one. Just can't see that being a good idea for the class.
    Care to clarify why?

Mafia Townsperson [M] Kurt - Cool Dad's Avatar

....So it seems two people have not arrived yet, am I correct?

I think we should hold off on lynching until they arrive. If Monokuma kills them off for breaking the rules, we might be down two allies right off the bat.

By Your Command Recognized Member [M] Mom – Host's Avatar
    Blog Entries

HEY now, I'm not gonna kill nobody! I'm just saying something will happen to them that will cause them to die! Big difference!

Same reasons most people consider it bad: you're not taking a shot at mafia, you kind of kill discussion if no one is under threat, and you'll (probably) never have a point in the game where it's safer to lynch (well, unless you lynch a mafia day one and the doc manages to save night one. Then I guess lynch on day 2 is even safer since you've gained ground). The downsides to a bad lynch are much less now than they would be later basically.

I guess I could see how trying to limit the town deaths to one on day one might be desirable, but I'm generally against plays that are safe for the sake of being safe. If it's do or die and the safe play is actually the best option then sure, but not right now.

Chiaki does make a good point about the people still missing though. If they don't show then a bad lynch will be very dangerous obviously so I'm holding off on voting anyone yet.

Whoever this damn bear is he's an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by [M] Gundham View Post
    Same reasons most people consider it bad: you're not taking a shot at mafia, you kind of kill discussion if no one is under threat, and you'll (probably) never have a point in the game where it's safer to lynch (well, unless you lynch a mafia day one and the doc manages to save night one. Then I guess lynch on day 2 is even safer since you've gained ground). The downsides to a bad lynch are much less now than they would be later basically.

I guess I could see how trying to limit the town deaths to one on day one might be desirable, but I'm generally against plays that are safe for the sake of being safe. If it's do or die and the safe play is actually the best option then sure, but not right now.
    I understand what your saying but on day one your probability of guessing wrong is way higher than later. So if you lynch and are wrong your chances of aiding the other team is statistically higher. So if there are only say 2 or 3 bad students then you have a 2/14 chance of getting it right.

I dunno to me, a day one no lynch isn't a bad option for the town if it seems like there are no glaring candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by [M] Monokuma View Post
    NO ONE GETS TO EAT UNTIL SOMEONE GETS LYNCHED!!!

Speak for yourself. I have secret pizza.

There's a simpler reason why no lynching is always, always, always a bad idea : It cedes control of the game to the Mafia. If the scum can choose who to go into LyLo with, guess what? LyLo is going to be populated with scum and the scummiest townies. Each surviving townie will have no idea who to vote for because everyone looks like scum.

Theoretically, each phase in a mountainous gamegame with no power roles, town lynches the scummiest looking player, and scum shoots the towniest. With that method, if the game does reach LyLo, it's going to be a LyLo with the towniest possible players surviving that the town can manage, which makes it easier to pick out who the scum are.

Yes, power roles can change things, but the basic idea of Mafia is still core to the game. No Lynches, anywhere except in MyLo or with a game-breaking strategy like Follow the Cop (with a claimed cop and the certainty there is a doc), are incredibly antitown and should never, ever, ever be allowed.

Yeah, with a big game the odds swing a bit more in favour of the enemy than for us, but it's still relatively safe in my eyes simply because of the large numbers involved making the penalty for a bad lynch numerically less significant. Plus, like I said, I don't care for safe plays this early in general. I like to come out swinging but I may have aggression issues . But I generally want a candidate to at least sort of jump out at me. So far no one has since things are moving so slowly. And I do fully agree with you on what happens if the two missing folks don't show up. That would make a lynch so undesirable it's not even funny.

Quote Originally Posted by [M] Byakuya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by [M] Monokuma View Post
    NO ONE GETS TO EAT UNTIL SOMEONE GETS LYNCHED!!!

Speak for yourself. I have secret pizza.

There's a simpler reason why no lynching is always, always, always a bad idea : It cedes control of the game to the Mafia. If the scum can choose who to go into LyLo with, guess what? LyLo is going to be populated with scum and the scummiest townies. Each surviving townie will have no idea who to vote for because everyone looks like scum.

Theoretically, each phase in a mountainous gamegame with no power roles, town lynches the scummiest looking player, and scum shoots the towniest. With that method, if the game does reach LyLo, it's going to be a LyLo with the towniest possible players surviving that the town can manage, which makes it easier to pick out who the scum are.

Yes, power roles can change things, but the basic idea of Mafia is still core to the game. No Lynches, anywhere except in MyLo or with a game-breaking strategy like Follow the Cop (with a claimed cop and the certainty there is a doc), are incredibly antitown and should never, ever, ever be allowed.
    Mountainous game? Is this term some meta thing from some other place?

I think this is a reach. Again. It isn't putting the hands of the game into mafia. You still have more town than mafia. If your solution to the game is to get rid of all the players that aren't the most "towniest" looking than you could end up hurting the town more so. Sacrificing less town seeming players, in your eyes, seems like a bad idea. Some scum look very townish. Some roles can look very suspicious too depending.

Quote Originally Posted by [M] Mahiru View Post
    Mountainous game? Is this term some meta thing from some other place?

I think this is a reach. Again. It isn't putting the hands of the game into mafia. You still have more town than mafia. If your solution to the game is to get rid of all the players that aren't the most "towniest" looking than you could end up hurting the town more so. Sacrificing less town seeming players, in your eyes, seems like a bad idea. Some scum look very townish. Some roles can look very suspicious too depending.
    Yes, which is why the term "mountainous game" is clickable to reveal the definition.

You're missing the point -- getting rid of scummy-looking players isn't a one-and-done path to victory, it's a path to not letting scum pick who get into lylo unilaterally. If scum control who makes it to endgame, they will win in endgame.

That's without even considering that the lynch is the town's only weapon. If you don't lynch, how do you get rid of scum? Leave out lots of pills and try to make them feel really guilty?

Lynching absolutely isn't the towns only weapon. Discussion is probably one of hte most important ones.

and

OOC:Please don't apply meta-gameplay terms or conditions from other places to EoFF. We have a lot of new people who haven't really played or only played one or two games here. So the meta doesn't really apply. So what may work in a place that has an establish Mafia community, that isn't the same here. Best to just take EoFF for EoFF and not apply other sites gameplay to it.

Mafia Townsperson [M] Kurt - Cool Dad's Avatar

I thought we did have power roles? Are power roles not the roles like cop and doctor? I imagine they can help us without us having to blindly kill our fellow classmates. Especially when we are approaching halftime and two people are still MIA. I suppose we can hope at least one of the is Ultimate Despair, but the chances of that are slim enough.