Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The defining RPG for every Era

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Question The defining RPG for every Era

Course "era" is entirely subjective and likely based on what you were gaming on at the time. Regardless, which RPGs do you feel defined the genre in each time based arc of the genres history? Did FFVII define the late 90s or was it Baldur's Gate? How about Tales of Symphonia for the GC/PS2/X-Box or was it KOTOR? Which game, for you, defined the genre in each era?

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Era one: Dragon Quest. With the success of Dragon Quest it convinced Square to launch Final Fantasy. It was about to get scraped when that came out n

Era Two: Chrono Trigger. The game is a complete masterpiece inside and out. This beat out FFVI for me slightly.

Era Three: Final Fantasy VII. No game brought people to the genere then this game did. It was the block that took RPG's from the small group in the corner to the room is filled with people talking about it.

Era 4: MorrowWind. This brought a new look to games and opened up the sandbox genre to the world

Era 5: Dragon Age. It brought in choices and relationships to the RPG genre.

Era 6: Final Fantasy XV. This is the first real new RPG. Wether it stays at the top or not is up developers topping it!

NES: Final Fantasy, even with being inspired by Dragon Quest it nonetheless was a huge milestone for RPGs
    SNES: A Link to the Past; by now people should already know I see Zelda as not just Adventure but Adventure RPG
    PS1: Final Fantasy VII
    PS2: Final Fantasy X or Kingdom Hearts
    PS3: Probably the Souls games? They gained a lot of popularity
    PS4: Final Fantasy XV

For ME:

NES: FF1
    SNES: FFVI
    PS1: FFVII
    PS2: FFX/KH
    PS3: Nier Gestalt
    PS4: Nier 2 Automata

GC: Twilight Princess, WiiU: Breath of the Wild as I won't count TP again, PSP: Crisis Core, etc.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

:monster:

8-bit: Final Fantasy
    16-bit: Final Fantasy III/VI
    32-bit: Final Fantasy VII
    64-bit: FFXII
    128-bit: ?
    256-bit: World of Final Fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but games like Persona 3 had been doing that several years earlier.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I had never played the Persona games so had no clue about them doing it first. My first one was Dragon age, or you could argue Fable.

I get the impression Persona 5 may be the defining JRPG this generation. Final Fantasy XV has gotten a lot of praise, but I feel like people enjoying it were going to play it anyway. I've heard more than a few people say that Persona 5 got them back into JRPGs. Not a lot of games can say that. That's kind of a Bravely Default thing

For me, I think Dragon Quest may have paved the way, but Final Fantasy certainly engrossed me a lot more. It was a bigger world with a lot more going on, and having a diverse team made it more interesting to me. And I found the music to be a lot less irritating lol

The next generation was a bit odd for me. I got a Genesis/MegaDrive when it first released, and didn't get an SNES until after the PS1 launch. The Shining series (Force/Darkness) definitely kept my attention more-so through the 16-bit generation. I think they were blown out of the water once FFVI came along. Outclassing Phantasy Star IV, Secret of Mana, and Chrono Trigger. It had the most diverse and likable cast I'd ever come across, and a much more compelling and well-realized plot than any of the others

For PS1/Saturn era, it depends on the day and my mood whether I would choose FFVII or Xenogears as the defining game for me. I feel like FFVII was more enthralling, while Xenogears was more impactful. I've played VII multiple times. But there was absolutely nothing like Xenogears on the landscape at the time. It may not hold up as well today, but the groundbreaking peek into the human psyche, the corruption of religion, and super badass mech combat was on a whole other level to everything else I was playing at the time

PS2/GC/XBox was definitely KotOR for me. In fact it was probably KotOR 2 that was the more groundbreaking experience for me. While KotOR felt like a grand adventure akin to the original movies. KotOR 2 felt like a very personal experience. The dialog was punched up and felt a lot more real and impactful, the character motivations were deep and complex. And the plot had a lot of darkness and growth to it. Much like Xenogears, I think I needed the more mature themes at the time

PS3/360 was easily defined by the Mass Effect experience for me. Looking back at all the plethora of games I have for both consoles (and even the Wii), while some games are arguably better, I don't think anything was as impactful or meaningful

And then the current generation, where I don't have enough space left on my console to install Mass Effect or Nier, and have yet to acquire Final Fantasy XV, and I'm struggling to stay interested in Persona 5. I'd almost have to say Hyper Light Drifter has been the most meaningful RPG'ish experience I've had this generation. Possibly Bloodborne.. The only Souls game I don't find to be ridiculously cheap and copy/pasted in its design philosophies

Some Dragon Quest, some Final Fantasy, some Diablo, maybe Skyrim. Probably the Witcher 3 at this point. I suck at pinpointing the times.
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 04-25-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but games like Persona 3 had been doing that several years earlier.
    And Baldur's Gate II did it years before that

Which was built off the original Fallouts. Seems like Black Isle and BioWare pioneered the "your choices matter" thing to a whole new level. Text adventure games were probably the only other real competition at the time

1970s : Dungeons and Dragons. I mean it started it all and gave inspiration for future titles. It basically gave birth to the whole genre. I mean, it's a roll the dice game, but it's still an RPG.

1980s : Dragon Quest. Was the BIG RPG game and is still a giant series today and gave inspiration for Final Fantasy games and more.

1990s : Final Fantasy VII . Final Fantasy VII basically brought consoles and said that RPG games can be cool and fun, and not = 30-year-old man sitting in his mum's basement.

2000s : War Of Warcraft ( if counts ? ) This game was MASSIVE.

2010s : Persona 5. This game is for sure one of the best RPG games in years.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

What about The Witcher III?

Era 6: Final Fantasy XV. This is the first real new RPG. Wether it stays at the top or not is up developers topping it!
    What do you mean by "this is the first real new RPG" ? What does this game have that any developer would want to 'top' ?

The defining RPG for this 'era' is most likely Witcher 3. It has had massive success both critically and commercially, and served as the inspiration for future RPGs that came after it (Final Fantasy XV).

You could also make the argument that Persona 5 is another defining RPG of this era. It's effectively considered one of the greatest JRPGs of all time, and has the best critical reception that the industry has seen since the release of Final Fantasy IX back in 2000.

FFXV is an afterthought when you compare it to the other, better RPGs of this era.
    Last edited by Scruffington; 04-27-2017 at 07:30 AM.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

I need to get The Witcher 3. Sadly I burn out real quick on single protagonist stories, and I haven't seen many instances of having a tag-along for quests that would keep things interesting. I've played enough Fallout, Skyrim, Horizon, etc. to know how it would end for me. Especially with it being 300+ hours of content

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

NES/8-bit era - Dragon Quest III, while we can talk about the merits of the original DQ and even games like Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star and Wizandry, I feel the DQIII is when console RPGs finally came into their own as a medium and not some watered down experience compared to what was available on PC.

SNES/Genesis Era - Chrono Trigger, again, other games may have built up the medium but to me Chrono Trigger is the final accumulation of what the genre had to offer and I still consider it to be a nearly flawless experience. To this day I still consider CT to be the Gold Standard all other RPGs should be.

PS1 Era - Xenogears, okay so controversial choice since most will go with one of the FFs of this era, but to me, Xenogears was the game that helped define what separated this era from previous ones by creating a more mature and complex story of human drama that even games like FFVII and Tactics were still skirting around. While it is love it or hate gameplay experience, I feel it shows best the strong merits of an era that ushered in a more story and character driven experience that defined the era for me.

PS2 Era - Persona 3, after the story boom of last gen, the genre found itself in a weird place trying to evolve the gameplay side of the genre while retaining the Hollywood blockbuster design philosophy promoted by SE. Action-RPGs began to gain traction on both sides of the ocean, major brands experimented with the formula to mixed results and some series just decided to push for the genre to be a story driven film format first with varying results. Persona 3, in my humble opinion is the rare case of experimenting with formula that actually worked while also finding a way to move away from the Hollywood design philosophy of Square-Enix and bringing the genre back to its more "a hero is you" RPG roots. Creating a game that still feels quintessentially like a JRPG but avoiding many of the stagnating tropes that entails. To this day, I still feel the design philosophy of this game will most likely be the key to saving the JRPG.

PS3/360 Era - Mass Effect, a game that embodies the philosophy I feel Persona 3 brought to JRPGs, Mass Effect is a bit of a streamlined experience into what the CRPG/WRPG genre had been cooking up for awhile but I give it props over previous BioWare titles for being on of their first mass appeal titles not linked to an already popular established property. While I may feel the trilogy got a little worse with each installment, I feel ME1 is an excellent combination of world building, well rounded complex characters, and finding a means to give the player agency within the plot while avoiding the silent protagonist trope that drives so many RPG players crazy. This was the hardest for me to choose because I honestly felt this was one of the weaker generations for the genre.

Current era - still undecided. I only recently jumped into the current era and while I've played several RPGs, it's hard to say what will count as a defining entry for me. I expect it will be Persona 5 when I get there. Of what I've played, I may say Bloodborne but I am hard pressed to call it an RPG as I feel the game at it's core is more of an action game and the RPG elements are just there for balance and flavor. FFXV seems like an obvious choice, but I can't help feel like the game was simply SE jumping on the open world bandwagon popularized in the last generation, and technically XII did all of this better and before open world was a thing. This simply leaves me with Fallout 4, Type-0 and I am Setsuna. One is a throwback title, another is a port of a handheld game from last gen and Fallout 4 is well a Bethesda title and if you've played one, you have a good idea of what to expect. So this era still has some room to grow.