Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The absolute worst RPG of every generation.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm still debating about SO4. I own it, but got only far enough into the game to realize that I was going to have to switch to Japanese audio if I was going to make it through it. I then got distracted by better games.

Star Ocean 4 kept me entertained for 600-700 hours. The sheer amount of stuff to do in the game, the Platinum trophy, the music, the worlds, all of it gave me more then I could ask for with my money. I haven't had a single RPG for PS3 that I did not enjoy. If I had to choose then maybe Atelier Rorona because the time limits are way more strict but truth be told I can't really associate it with the word "bad" or "worst" because it was still so good as a game that it kept me interested and introduced me to the rest of the series.

PS3/360 era, I was smart enough to avoid FFXIII because I knew all the complaints would ring true to me. So having not played it, I can't vote it, but I probably would since it's arguably worse than my two other most hated games in the series, and for similar reasons to why I hate those games. But the worst RPG I played that generation was Spectral Souls 3. Basically a mobile game for a console. It's a tactical RPG, but only in the barest sense. I've played other Spectral Souls games and some of its off-shoots, through emulation on PSP and such. They're all pretty terrible. I think they're from Idea Factory, who only rarely makes tolerable RPGs in my experience. They're more of a quantity over quality type of company, much like any mobile developer, only they mostly focused on console games for some reason

And oh god. People bringing up Star Ocean 4. That game could easily be on this list as well. But at least someone behind it tried...

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I almost think I'd appreciate Star Ocean IV now if I played it. It would just be the gameplay that would more interest me now. I still can't get behind the characters and story though.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    Just thought of a game for the SNES worse then Mystic Quest.
    Tecmo Secret of The Stars. This one was a rare miss for Tecmo who usually was known for tackling a genre and knocking it out of the park. The game was plain awful beyond all compare.
    I don't know. I think I conclusively proved in my LP from a few years back that Mystic Quest is damaging to ones mental health.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Though that is true, Secret of the stars makes it look like a masterpiece. One I would suggest could run up against Superman 64 for worst game ever.

Beyond the Beyond is definitely the worst of the PS1 era. That game is dull, slow, and cliche beyond belief. I'll have to think some more about other generations, there are too many options to consider.

Mass Effect 1 for PS3/360 era. It spawned two vastly superior sequels so that's good but all on its own, it's just a KOTOR ripoff with worse characters, voice-acting and plot. The Paraogn/Renegade system was a joke in this game since the choice was Bootlicking Boy Scout or Rabid Racist.

Gameplay is just abysmal, consisting of exploring samey worlds, identical buildings and trying to play a shooter that thought it was an RPG.

I'd sooner play FFXIII to ME1 any day of the wee. At least it's nice to look at, listen to and is occasionally fun to play.