I've been wanting people's opinions on this for a while. I enjoy the Persona games a lot, and the two other SMT games I've played (SMT 1's fan translation for SNES and SMT IV on 3DS) are also pretty cool in their own right. But I find there's a real undercurrent of very dark imagery to the games - there's almost a satanic influence with the demons and the religious/occult references in the mainline games. I guess that's a pretty heavy-handed way of putting it - and I guess it's true that a lot of Japanese media can be very dark. But what I'm trying to say is that worlds like the world of SMT IV are not ones I would really want to be in - there are a lot of games that have a very cozy world (like Psychonauts for example) but to me the SMT games are very much on the other end of the spectrum. And in the Persona games - something like the guillotine to execute Persona's is a bit much - I tend to skip that cutscene.

I have pretty mixed feelings about the series - not trying to slam them though - I enjoy a lot of their elements. Do you feel the series is dark - and if so does it affect your enjoyment of the games?