Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which non-numbered FF game is your favorite?

It used to be a trade-off between 6 and 7, depending on the day and my mood. But as I get older, I find myself craving 7 more than 6. And I'm not entirely sure why. But regardless, the only other game in the series that compares to those two to me is 12, and I don't actually crave that game very much since I took a break from it and then they immediately announced an HD version on the horizon. I'll have 7 and 12 on my PS4. I'll be happy..

Crystal Chronicles might be my favourite multiplayer game of all time and is definitely one of the best examples of lore based story telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Wrong thread, Vyk, this ones about non-numbered games
    That's what I get for leaving it open all day before getting around to replying.. Thanks lol

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Mystic Quest
    I'm serious, it's a fun game with an awesome soundtrack. Going back to it, it's like Final Fantasy: The Abridged Series.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

Crisis Core or Tactics.....(Tactics)

I've sadly never played a Tactics game, so... Crisis Core. Some storytelling inconsistencies and the entire character of Genesis / Gackt aside, it's a good game, and it's fun to revisit and expand upon some iconic moments alongside a helping of solid hack 'n slash gameplay.

I was so tempted to just put "Dirge of Cerberus, fite me m8" but it's too early to completely destroy my reputation here.

Quote Originally Posted by KleinerKiller View Post
    I've sadly never played a Tactics game, so... Crisis Core. Some storytelling inconsistencies and the entire character of Genesis / Gackt aside, it's a good game, and it's fun to revisit and expand upon some iconic moments alongside a helping of solid hack 'n slash gameplay.

I was so tempted to just put "Dirge of Cerberus, fite me m8" but it's too early to completely destroy my reputation here.
    Dirge of Cerberus has a very solid story, despite lacking on the action game part. For a Final Fantasy VII that was not written by Nojima-san this is a very well written one. Making good use of characters that were not used so much in the original, exploring Vincent's backstory, using characters that also appear in Before Crisis. Making use of Vincent's arch nemesis by letting him survive by virtualizing his consciousness, leaving little hints for Genesis - Dirge of Cerberus is fine.

Tactics or Crisis Core, I like both for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Dirge of Cerberus has a very solid story, despite lacking on the action game part. For a Final Fantasy VII that was not written by Nojima-san this is a very well written one. Making good use of characters that were not used so much in the original, exploring Vincent's backstory, using characters that also appear in Before Crisis. Making use of Vincent's arch nemesis by letting him survive by virtualizing his consciousness, leaving little hints for Genesis - Dirge of Cerberus is fine.
    There's certainly a lot more that I like about it than most FF fans seem to, but I mostly see it as a whole lot of good-to-great ideas (both story and gameplay-wise) smothered in forced edginess, inconsistent execution, and general wasted potential. I was mainly name-dropping it for the joke.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Crisis Core, Tactics Advance and XIII-2 are the three that are competing in my head and they all win in differing ways.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

XIII-2. The music is fantastic, I enjoyed the monster mechanic, Caius is one of the best antagonists in the whole franchise, and it's so delightfully melodramatic/nonsensical. In a good way because both things are clearly intentional.

Did that explain anything? No. GOOD!

Also dat soap opera music.

XIII-2 has several flaws of course but it's so refreshingly different from XIII.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Might as well rename this thread 'which Final Fantasy Tactics game is your favorite?'
    This. It's definitely Tactics for me.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

Probably Tactics Advanced. It had a unique feeling for me that I'm not sure how to describe. Like a type of nostalgia while playing it for the first time. FFX-2 is close, but having to be so anal to achieve 100% without NG+ dragged it down for me.

Honorable mention to Lightning Returns.