Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Underrated series of all time?

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Default Most Underrated series of all time?

Totally not stealing Wolf Kano's ideas at all here, totally not. 😬

What at series of games in your opinion are underrated and are worth a try?

I will post a few of mine.

Romance of the three kingdoms series.

I own and play these all the time. XI being my favourite followed by IX. So many things to try and keep track of that one false move will see an invasion from a army at your walls. It can be peaceful, or chaos. Definitely worth the check out.

Uncharted Waters.

I li have only played the ones on the SNES, but uncharted waters 2 New Horizons ranks up to one of the best of all time on the SNES. So many different ways to try and conquer the world, you can do it through piracy, trade, investment. It's up to you. Has a ton of replayability.

Breath of Fire Series.

Such a great group of RPG's that are well written and fun you will fall in love with them all. II being one of my favourite RPG's of all time just losing out to Chrono Trigger and FFVI on the SNES.

Those are the three I can think of off the top of my head.

The one that immediately jumps to mind is the Lost Planet trilogy. Excluding the third and final one, which is basically just a subpar aping of Dead Space 3 (itself a pretty awful game), the series has a more-than-solid start and an even better sequel. The world is interesting despite the generic evil corporation that colonized it, the gameplay for both is great whether you're on the ground or in a mech (especially the second, which removes the first game's survival mechanics and introduces more polished mechs and an awesome grappling hook), the enemy variety and designs keep everything feeling new, and the boss fights are some of the most titanic and fun I can think of. Yet it's almost unknown in a lot of circles.

Lost Planet 2 is one of my favorite games and I genuinely believe it to be among the finest co-op experiences you'll ever find (it's still great in single-player, but the magic comes from cooperation and delegating roles, especially during the bosses), but the consistently low sales numbers, nonexistent hype, and regressive third game pretty much ensured the series' death in the shadows of more popular titles.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FRONT MISSION

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm going to second Breath of Fire and Front Mission. I'll add Lunar and Brave Fencer Musashi, though only the first one.

I will also say the Rhythm genre, not necessarily DDR or Rock Band, I'm talking about the quirky Japanese gems like Gitaroo Man, Um Jammer Lammy, and Mad Maestro.

Megaman Battle Network. I've played a few games in this series. The first game was pretty good, and the third game was actually great. The fourth one killed absolutely everything good about the series and needs to die in a fire. But play the first few.

Rune Factory. It's like Harvest Moon, but better. Seriously, this series needs more love.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't say underrated series of all time or anything, but I'm surprised that Star Tropics hasn't made some sort of comeback in all these years. I mean, even Blaster Master got a new game on the Switch!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I dunno. Atelier and Trails are super good. Not sure how much love they get.

Before Awakening came out, I would say the Fire Emblem series was pretty underrated. I don't know about the most underrated, but the F-Zero series needs a bit more love.

Saints Row. Granted it's fairly highly regarded, but only by people who've given it a try. A disgusting amount of people just considered it a GTA clone and never gave it a try. So it has this weird divide where it's loved on one side of the fence, and waved away on the other. And its the hand waving that bothers me. If people prefer GTA and hate Saints Row, at least that's legitimate. But it seriously does not deserve to be dismissed

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Final Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Just thought of the Lufia series too.

Breath of Fire is a really good pick. Always been one of my faves and the second game was one of the first video games I ever completed.

The Soul Blazer series deserves a mention, the first two games are good, but Terranigma might be the best SNES game of all time.

Suikoden is praised to the heavens by its fans, but those fans are few. Such a great series and a very different take on JRPGs.

Shadow Hearts might be my favourite JRPG series introduced on the PS2, though Dark Cloud is close. So both of those.

Soulblazer is awesome.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sadly, Terranigma was one of the few SNES RPGs North America didn't get.