Thread: "Secrets" in games

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nom nom nom "Secrets" in games

Before we start, I am not talking about Easter Eggs, those are something entirely different. I'm talking about hidden secrets like a secret level, weapon, character, quest, or even story scene.

What do you think about these types of secrets in game? Are they cool little treats for people who scour every inch of the game, or simply strategy guide fodder? What are some of your favorites? Least favorites?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like the general idea. It gives you incentive to replay stuff, and I always liked talking to friends about games and getting to know what stuff they found out and then checking out if I could trigger it too (or just find out they are lying ). To be fair, this was more fun before internet guides when you couldn' just look it up immediately. As for which secrets I liked the most - Warioland II! Loved how the game branched into completely different scenarios if you managed to find a different exit from the area.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I really like the Nero family thing in FFIX and how it took like 15 years before someone actually found it and shared it with someone.

talk about smurfin' SECRET
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Well I know I certainly did not need 15 years for that.

About the concept: Easter Eggs are essential for me in games. When they are throwbacks they are really something great for me.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well, you should've shared it online and gotten your name on gaming sites, then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I love the little tidbits you get when you execute and resurrect certain characters in the TIPS screens in Umineko.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Well, you should've shared it online and gotten your name on gaming sites, then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I didn't even know this was such an unknown thing until people were all "oh my god look we have found a living dinosaur".

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like how the computer in FFVIII updates throughout the game. I'd never seen all of the things it says until I played it this year I think. I've always liked secrets that aren't essential but build the world and characters. I also like secret weapons and such that are findable if you are thorough enough. I do not like things like the chests in XII that feel like they exist to sell strategy guides almost. I also don't like things like the Excalibur II (I think) in IX since I like taking my time and really exploring over speeding through games.