Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your Number One game of all time?

Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken. I might ramble a bit, but here I go:

It was one of my very first JRPGs. I played it when I was ten years old, and even then I fell in love with the characters and the story. All the characters had so much depth to them, and though the story is simple, it's told well and it really works. There's a big roster of playable characters, and they're all developed really well and they all have a reason to be there. The three main characters work really well together too, and though they don't always get along, they're always there for each other . Just really great characters and story.

The gameplay is great too. Simple and easy to understand. The game itself is no cakewalk either. It's got a good amount of difficulty without being impossibly hard.
    The game also gave me a way to connect with my older siblings too, because most of them had already played it. So that's also a big plus.

So yeah that's my number one game of all time!

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

10 games just flashed through my head. Can I get back to you on this one?

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I have it down to:

Final Fantasy Tatics
    Chrono Trigger
    Uncharted Waters 2 New Horizons
    Romance of the three Kingdoms XI
    Breath of Fire II (Seriously this is such an underrated game)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Final Fantasy IX. It's magical, it feels like what I want the story of an RPG to be like, the pacing is good, the characters are excellent, the world is memorable, there's tons of great moments, and it came along at the right time in my life

The battle system is subpar though

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Final Fantasy VI is my perfect game. Wonderful characters, interesting story with lots of twists and turns, elaborate side quests, fun battles, beautiful graphics, and a great open world section before that was a buzz term.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

Umineko: When They Cry

This story is smurfing phenomenal and works on so many levels. Reasoning battles over murder mysteries and locked rooms, with the story actually making you question how to hell these murders could have possibly been committed? YES PLEASE. For a game with a distinct lack of gameplay it certainly doesn't lack player involvement either; you become an active actor in this story as it pretty much demands that you don't just sit back and watch but actually think about things on your own. Which leads into its meta-commentary as it comments on what makes mysteries so engaging in the first place and what's required to even engage with them at all. It really got me thinking about a lot of things, not just related to mysteries but things in my everyday life. Aaaand at a much more base level, the main duo and a lot of the surrounding cast have such amazing chemistry that the story just becomes a blast to read anytime they're on screen together (Episode 3 anyone? :P).

What of course also helps is the incredible character writing. You might not end up liking them as people but the main cast feels so raw and human. There are some really likable characters too of course and some are better written than others, but IMO what Umineko really excels at is creating this sphere in which you can just *get* why. Why they all act and react the way they do. What made them be this way. What they think of themselves and the people around them. How they rationalize even their darkest parts. It's not the most uplifting of stories in that regard but it can really get to you. Especially since Umineko was arguably kind of "ahead of its time" in talking about issues you don't see tackled much in games yet in a very down to earth manner. Out of fear of spoilers though I'll refrain from saying any more.

And all of this is emphasized by quite possibly the best soundtrack in gaming.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Ocarina of Time.

There are games out there I've played that I think have better stories or gameplay. Don't get me wrong, I still obv love the elements of OoT, but I know it's far from being one of the objective best games out there. Especially as it ages. But I associate it with really happy memories. Both from just enjoying it, but playing it with my parents. When I was 10, I loved it so much and got inspired to create my own world with maps based off the maps of the game. The music is amazing. A lot of it is nostalgia.

Honorable mentions go to FFIX, probably Fire Emblem: Conquest (just started it, but goddamn), and FFXIV considering I played 2k hours in a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

images.jpeg

cos its awesome funny fun good. Slow... but good.

I was close to choosing ffxiv. But tjats just because im addicted. Like cocaine. I can mine Coke in the game too

Probably have to go with Final Fantasy VII.

That game made me fall in love with the hobby of gaming.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Final Fantasy VII. I just like it a lot.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Very difficult. I'm very selective with my games so there's not really a single game I disliked which doesn't help narrow down the pool.

But probably the game I remember most fondly, and enjoyed the whole way through was probably Persona 4: Golden. I just loved the story, the core mystery, the characters... it was a fantastic experience.

I can never pin down my favorite; I usually flip-flop between Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door and Fallout 3. The former because it's so charming and fun and I firmly believe it's one of the best RPGs ever made, and the latter because despite not being as choice-driven and complex as New Vegas, it's a bountiful adventure with few of the crippling faults NV has.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My personal Number One? It's a toss-up between TES III: Morrowind and Suikoden 2. Suikoden 2 is so beautiful, so charming, so filled with life and detail and character, and tells a surprisingly mature story, all wrapped up in a nice solid JRPG gameplay package. And it has a special place of nostalgia in my heart.

Morrowind is... holy crap. What a vast, rich, meaningful world. What a fantastic place to explore, to inhabit. What an incredible complexity of storytelling.