Thread: My first thoughts so far on XV

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Default My first thoughts so far on XV

So far I haven't had a ton of time to play this, but I am really enjoying it so far. Some of you know I wanted to go in totally dark to everything. When I first turned it on I was ready to cringe also. XIII really soiled the franchise for me. I was scared that was the way it was heading and did not like it.

However I still did turn it on, went through the tutorial for learning the combat system, and started. So far so good. The world feels rather open so far and I have been enjoying the characters. Can't wait to finish it, then go back to see what I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    I was scared that was the way it was heading and did not like it.
    The problem with FFXV is that it actually goes off the deep end in the opposite spectrum.

Instead of the "corridor simulator" of FFXIII, you get a big, open but empty sandbox full of nothing in FFXV.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Glad to see you're enjoying it. I was worried about the cringe factor too and while there's a couple of NPCs that are kind of goofy at best, none of the main characters made me feel that way. Prompto is a dork but he never made me cringe - I actually found him quite endearing and I hope you will too.

Blog Entries

Interesting to hear. I've not been in any rush to get and play it at all (haven't since X-2 - sorry to say I fall into the "FF lost something special when Sakaguchi and Uematsu moved on" camp) but people do seem to have good things to say about this one.

FF wouldn't be FF without some cringey dork character

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Glad you're liking it so far. I had a similar feeling going in as well, but overall I found the game enjoyable. It still falters quite a bit, but considering it's public implosion on the development side, it turned out way better than it could have been.

I honestly love all the banter between the party during the road trip portion, it made doing all the tedious quests a bit more enjoyable.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, the game has some pretty deep flaws, and for an open world game it does seem rather empty at times, but regardless I had fun with it. In fact, after beating the game early this year I am currently having fun again doing post game stuff!