Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you like about FF13 ?

Quote Originally Posted by KleinerKiller View Post
    She's a little bland, but she has her moments.
    Still not gotten behind why she acts like she does and read Episode Zero?

What I like:

• The Focus (not the "Focus" that is part of the lore) the characters get screentime-wise and the thought that was invested into everyone when it comes to their character building. Hate Hope? A 14-year old who even before the first installment was introduced as the boy who felt like his father did not really care for him and then lost his mother? Hate that a child in puberty acts like he does after a traumatic event? I do not.
    • Lightning in general is one of the characters with the largest, most fleshed out and polished script. Of course multiple installments help for that.
    • The music from Mazashi Hamauzu is incredible
    • The World. Whether it is Cocoon, Gran=Pulse or Nova Crysalia - it just looks good and interesting.
    • Barthandelus was an interesting take on the not so typically cool looking villain that still had his own charme somehow and still was cool. Maybe it is also thanks to me loving Emperor Palpatine.
    • Caius is one of the best villains in the entire franchise, only to be topped by Sephiroth and Kuja. On par with Seymour if not better.
    • Kimi ga iru kara is one of the best musical pieces ever release for a Final Fantasy. Only to be topped by Katayoku no Tenshi, also known as "One-Winged Angel".
    • I like how it is the first cast where I really liked every single character somewhat. That is not even the case with Final Fantasy VII. I don't really like characters like Cid.
    • The Last Hunter is probably the best boss battle theme/stronger enemy battle theme after Still More Fighting from VII and The Decisive Battle from VI that both share the first place.
    • As it normally is, it makes me wish, there was more of it.

Vanille's tushy.

Favorite character is Lightning. Visually, her character design is really good. She's just a badass.

Great combat - I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I found it very engaging. I really enjoyed experimenting with paradigms, testing out all the various combinations. I liked that when the crystarium opened up, that there were unique advantages for characters in those roles outside of their "primary" ones they start off with (Lightning being able to become a dodge/agility based tank, for instance).

The music and art direction - both go very well together. I think this is one of the more tonally consistent Final Fantasies. It's one of the few FF's where I like some of the other tracks more than the battle and boss themes (although I love FF music. Even FFI has some good ones like Matoya's Cave). My favorite track is "The Vestige". Beautiful.

I liked most things about FF13. Yeah I missed towns and stuff, but with the way the game is set up I really DID feel like Lightning and gang really were exiled. It was a different feeling for sure.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

Oddly enough, Hope. I went in prepared to hate him and he ended up being my second favourite character after Sazh. Yeah he tends to whine a bit but given the circumstances he was set in I didn't think his reactions were THAT over the top. Plus he actually grows and matures more than any other character over the course of the game.

I really dug the music too.

My favorite characters were the ones everyone else hated. Snow, Hope and Vanille.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    My favorite characters were the ones everyone else hated. Snow, Hope and Vanille.
    I love hope too and I used to dislike Vanille but now she's one of my tops fav female Final Fantasy characters. Don't understand why people hate Hope ? Hope is just a young boy who just lost somebody close to him and didn't know or had the time to cope.

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    I love hope too and I used to dislike Vanille but now she's one of my tops fav female Final Fantasy characters. Don't understand why people hate Hope ? Hope is just a young boy who just lost somebody close to him and didn't know or had the time to cope.
    Same here. Never had a single problem with Hope and Vanille.
    FF games played so far: FFIV; FFVI; FFVII; FFX; FFX-2; FFXII; FFTA; FFXIII Trilogy

Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PS3)

Favourite FF games: FFVI; FFXII

I was beginning to get frustrated with Hope, but then he cowboyed up and we were cool after that. There was never a hate.

No hate for Vanille either, but she felt more like a catalyst for Fang's character rather than being her own. Although she was good moral support for Hope and Sazh when they were paired up.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

My favorite characters in the trilogy are Serah (post-XIII) and Noel. The former for growing up from a damsel in distress to an independent character (SPOILER)who's ready to save the world even if it means she'll die doing so. The latter for forming up a nice dynamic duo with Serah, and his character background about (SPOILER)being the last human alive in a dying world is also intriguing.

Things that I like about the games in the FFXIII trilogy:

* Gameplay. This is what the games have done well in a hidden way. When I start playing the game, I notice all of a sudden that I've played it for a few hours. It's fun to play and time passes quickly, which is a simple but effective merit for the game. I've played each game in the trilogy for over 100 hours, which is suprising, since none of them are among my favorite FFs, but I've managed to clock 100+ hours only in FFXIII games (FFXII comes next with 99 hours).

* Battle system. The Paradigm Shift system becomes more enjoyable when you realize that Auto-Battle (which I think should be renamed to Auto-Queue) isn't your battle action, it's the Paradigm Shift. When you understand how the battle system works, you can creative quite creative setups that will let you react to different phases within battles. For example, I never use the common setup Commando-Ravager-Medic, since I find it boring and badly optimized. Instead, I'd rather use multiple, specialized setups that let you play in a dynamic way, reacting according to what happens in the battle.

* Story (in a way). While the story isn't really the games' strong point or main attraction, it's still interesting enough that you want to know what happens to the game's world and its characters. If games like FFVI, FFVII and FFIX have deep and complex storylines, the FFXIII trilogy is more like an enjoyable popcorn flick. Even so, some parts are written really well, and the (SPOILER)Last Day of Lightning Returns has some of the most emotional scenes in the FF series. Also, do the "Life of a Machine" sidequest in LR. It's very well written, and surprised me with onion ninjas.

* Quests. This is what I liked about FFXIII-2 and LR. Interacting with the NPCs and doing quests to help them out. It's lots of fun, and helps you grow more attached to the game's world.

* Soundtrack. I thought the FFXIII soundtrack by Masashi Hamazu was great, and showed how he's improved since the days he wrote the FFX soundtrack. "Blinded by Light" is one of the best battle themes in the series. I think the FFXIII-2 soundtrack is even better, even if it is somewhat different. Humming along Serah, Noel and Caius' themes is great. While I didn't enjoy the LR soundtrack as much as the other two, it still has several great moments, and many of the dramatic and emotional moments are so powerful due to the accompanying music.

* General technical stuff. Most of the time, the graphics, sounds and voice acting are good enough to improve the game, rather than diminish the experience.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ganon View Post
    I was beginning to get frustrated with Hope, but then he cowboyed up and we were cool after that. There was never a hate.

No hate for Vanille either, but she felt more like a catalyst for Fang's character rather than being her own. Although she was good moral support for Hope and Sazh when they were paired up.
    I think that Hope was a very realistic character. Judging things from his perspective he was a 14 years old spoiled kid who got thrown in a life-or-death situation out of nowhere after losing his mother. We don't really see much of her, but it's not a stretch to assume that she was kinda overprotective, so it does make sense for him to be afraid and whiny.

I agree about Vanille. Her carefree attitude was very needed at certain moments. Fang was definitely the more important character between the two, but I think Vanille found her spot thanks to the connection developed with Sazh.
    Last edited by Yubel-Lover; 07-02-2017 at 10:26 PM.
    FF games played so far: FFIV; FFVI; FFVII; FFX; FFX-2; FFXII; FFTA; FFXIII Trilogy

Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PS3)

Favourite FF games: FFVI; FFXII

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

The logo was pretty. The battle theme was pretty rad, too.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Snow and Sazh were both pretty awesome, and I didn't mind Vanille. Caius and Noel in the sequels were great too.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Snow
    I see that Steve Watkins has a hold of your account

Realtalk I do actually like the game for the most part it's one of the weakest in the series but it's still fun enough to just sit down and play through.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Nah man, Troy Baker could be the voice actor for a character who literally is Steve Watkins and he'd still be my favourite char.