Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did You Actually Use the Eidolons?

Default Did You Actually Use the Eidolons?

For me, as annoying as the gimmick fights were, the really annoying thing about XIII's eidolons is that I HAD to endure these gimmick fights for stupid things I'd never, ever actually use. The description made them sound entirely too complicated and what's more they were completely superfluous.

But I was thinking I might give them another shot since I plan to replay XIII once I'm done with my current game.

But what about you all?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Really they're mainly good for healing your party back to 100% when you summon them. Which I gotta admit is pretty damn nice though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Really they're mainly good for healing your party back to 100% when you summon them. Which I gotta admit is pretty damn nice though.
    Yeah, that's basically the primary use of eidolons. Having said that, you can use Sazh and his eidolon to defeat an admantoise far earlier than you are expected to. But offensively? They're never normally worth it. If there's a super powerful attack that will wipe your entire party, you could emergency summon an eidolon to take the hit (when your party leader is defeated while their eidolon is on the field, they cast arise to get them back to health). Still, you would have to be doing badly to get to that sort of situation.

I rarely used them, and when I used them it was more to heal my party.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    If there's a super powerful attack that will wipe your entire party, you could emergency summon an eidolon to take the hit (when your party leader is defeated while their eidolon is on the field, they cast arise to get them back to health).
    Even better, if the attack hits while you're in your "summoning animation" (just before the cutscene) you dodge it entirely, which I believe is a vital strategy in No Crystarium playthroughs. Apparently you're completely invulnerable during that period of time.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I use Eidolons for reviving and healing the party if I'm about to lose. When I'm not strong enough to fight the Adamantoises "fairly", I use Eidolons to destroy the enemy's legs. As for other uses, status ailments are a major problem in the battle against (SPOILER)Orphan's 1st form. If I ever have trouble with status ailments there, and especially if the main character gets poisoned, I summon an Eidolon immediately to heal everyone's status. It's even better if you've poisoned the boss before summoning the Eidolon, as the poison really drains the life out of him while the Eidolon is keeping him busy.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

I actually did use Eidolons for the first half of the game.
    In fact, Odin make Cid Raines, a supposedly tough boss, a walk in the park.
    In addition to that, the boss at the top of Taijin's tower is also easily defeated with Odin.
    And adamantoises can be defeated very early in the game with the help of summons and Vanille's death spam...

Yeah I used Odin quite a bit, because it's basically fighting monsters on a horse. How cool is that ? c:

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think I used them even once besides the battle that had you start in Gestalt mode

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I used it often when grinding Adamantoise at the end.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Never. The game itself never ever motivated me to use the Eidolons.

nope, they're completely useless, except when farming Adamantoise...
    in a replay i was having trouble with the first Bart encounter, i remembered breezing through him on my first playthrough... i checked the PiggyBack Guide to see if i was missing or forgetting something, it suggested the characters i was already using Lightning, Fang, & Hope, i tried their paradigm setup and used Odin when the DoomCounter began... Odin did not even make Bart flinch, more like just ticked him off, proving Strategy Guides are useless to my playstyle, they're only good for maps because not everyone plays the same... in the end i remembered i had Sazh in my party on the first play-through and why was that? oh yeah Haste... Haste was far more effective with my paradigm Deck than Odin with PiggyBacks Paradigm Deck and character lineup...
    so, no i don't use Eidolons in the main gameplay because it's a complete waste on Boss-fights, and totally unnecessary for regular fights, they're only good for cutting the legs off an Adamantoise...

They were sooooo awful. Worst summons in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I used it often when grinding Adamantoise at the end.

I used Bahamut to get my "Get 5 Stars in all missions" easier.
    I used Hecatoncheir to take down Adamans.
    I used them because of style.

https://www.twitch.tv/yakusoku_no_ji/v/50639990