Thread: Do you think Square-Enix will ever do another game like this?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nom nom nom Do you think Square-Enix will ever do another game like this?

Simple question, do you think Squenix will ever make another numbered entry as a retro throwback title or will games like that be Gaiden series like Bravely Default? My next question would be, do you think SE should?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, I don't see them doing it. And even if they did, the degree of creativity that they have displayed in recent years makes me hesitant to believe that it would be any good. I very highly doubt that if they even managed to create some sort of throwback title, it wouldn't be as good as IX was anyway.

I know they've tried their hand and titles that were kind of throwbacks like Final Fantasy Dimensions and even stuff like Bravely Default. But in my opinion, they never manage to achieve the same standard of quality that their older games did back in the golden age.

So I'm pretty cynical to the idea of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yar View Post
    Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, I don't see them doing it. And even if they did, the degree of creativity that they have displayed in recent years makes me hesitant to believe that it would be any good. I very highly doubt that if they even managed to create some sort of throwback title, it wouldn't be as good as IX was anyway.

I know they've tried their hand and titles that were kind of throwbacks like Final Fantasy Dimensions and even stuff like Bravely Default. But in my opinion, they never manage to achieve the same standard of quality that their older games did back in the golden age.

So I'm pretty cynical to the idea of it.
    Considering Bravely Default was not actually made by one of the Final Fantasy studios it is no wonder that it is not exactly like Final Fantasy.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Probably not. Handheld and smaller Switch titles will likely be the closest we ever get. It's disappointing.

Blog Entries

I think they should do another FF like it in general (per another thread: bring back ATB - plus the classic medieval theme, world map etc) but it should stand on its own merits. IX was great, but also kind of exists as a mish-mash of FFI-FFVI references. We already have one such game, and therefore don't need another.

That or maybe some kind of FFVII-X throwback game for those who loved the Playstation+Sakaguchi era, but cut IX out of it because that would just be references on top of references.

Articles

I don't think modern SE have it in them to be honest, and even if they tried I have a hard time imagining it would be anywhere near the same type of experience that IX is.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of talented people at SE, but given the direction they seem to want to head in now with realism and whatnot, it just doesn't seem likely at this point. Perhaps if the development teams for FF in general (let alone numbered titles) consisted of more of the same people each time I would think differently.

Banned

I have never understood why game developers are so obsessed with "realism" nowadays.
    Isn't part of the point of video games to experience things that are impossible in real life?
    Why must everything conform to real life all of a sudden?
    Like for example, why can I only carry one or two weapons in first-person shooters nowadays?
    What happened to the wonderfully silly mechanics like being able to dual-wield Rocket Launchers in "GoldenEye 007", for example?
    Why are those kinds of things so taboo nowadays?
    "Hey, we cannot do that, it's not realistic enough", like who cares?
    Games aren't about perfect realism, they are about experiences, and realism is very often a restriction, unless realism is an actual important part of the experience.