Thread: Would a sequel ever work for this game?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Would a sequel ever work for this game?

I saw Wolf Kanno's thread and thought it was going to be something about if SE would ever return to this story/universe. They returned to FFVII so late in the game, so it's always "possible".

I think probably the story would revolve around finding out that Vivi is in fact, NOT dead, and you're on a quest to find him. Or Kuja. Whatever.

Basically FFX-2, now that I think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

If its goofy like X-2 maybe. But it wrapped up pretty nicely. Im not even sure if there could be a prequel to the game. Maybe like dirge of cerberus only with amarant before the game I dunno. Or freya looking for fratley. But yeah I dont think a serious sequel could work

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know some of the staff who worked on this game have said they wanted to make one, but I can't really think of strong narrative idea that could spin into good sequel material besides side story stuff. I imagine it will be like FFIV The After Years and Advent Children where the writer's are just going to find some poor excuse to recreate the threat of the original game.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I know some of the staff who worked on this game have said they wanted to make one, but I can't really think of strong narrative idea that could spin into good sequel material besides side story stuff. I imagine it will be like FFIV The After Years and Advent Children where the writer's are just going to find some poor excuse to recreate the threat of the original game.
    Yeah. Maybe give necron a reason to exist :/ and make quina the main character

Not if Square Enix is the one doing it. Every direct sequel/prequel to every Final Fantasy game so far has done more damage than good, so if you really cared about the story of FF9 you'd know to leave well enough alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    And how they brought back Sin in the crappy FF10 audio drama.

Would you even have to make an epic plot? Some good writing and game mechanics could carry a nothing game a long way. It may have to do with the music I'm listening to, but the idea occurs to me that with the fans of this game, you probably don't have to go on some epic quest. You could have a Stardew Valley experience within the FFIX universe and I bet most fans would be more than happy. As long as there's tons to do, lots of characters to interact with, and a sense of time progression so you don't feel like you're just playing a long minigame

Unfortunately I don't think Square Enix has the chops for that...kind... -well, actually, now that I think about it, Dragon Quest Builders delivered just such an experience. You'd have to put a lot more work into the world and characters and art style for a FFIX game in that vein, but I guess they could theoretically do something like that. Final Fantasy IX The Sims

I wouldn't want a movie about Zidane feeling guilty about letting Vivi or Kuja die so he goes alone in his motorbike and think he shouldn't be around anybody anymore. Or Garnet, Eiko and Quina teaming up as " Charlie's Angles ".

TL;DR Final Fantasy sequels are usually not that great as the original and some ideas SE has for sequels are just odd.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I originally wrote one before I changed it into an original idea.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nah. I think a prequel would be better. We do hear a lot about historic figures, that might be nifty. And you'd get to see the summoner's tribe before the whole mess and all dat

i honestly don't think a sequel would go over well... FF IX was a hodgepodge tribute to Final Fantasy 1-6 and kept that medieval aesthetic and all it's trappings... if they were to do a sequel i'd expect it to be a tribute to Final Fantasy 7-15(minus 9)... considering the amount of hate those get from the FFIX fans and jaded old-school purists alike, i don't think the original FFIX fans would like it at all, except for maybe a few exceptions... i would rather they do a remaster or remake and fix all the problems that make FFIX a mess, like useless Trance, unnecessary Magic Stones, and horrid battle load times...

I can't think of any loose threads that would make for a convincing sequel. It would have to be something completely new.

Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post
    And how they brought back Sin in the crappy FF10 audio drama.
    Honest to God I had actually forgotten that and the 2.5 garbage was a thing.