Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SE Game Director hints that more FF Remakes may be on the horizon.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Moomba SE Game Director hints that more FF Remakes may be on the horizon.

Speaking with the International Business Times, Takeshi Katano (Programmer for FFVIII, X, XII, Crystal Tools, and FFTA2) told the reporters that Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age will likely be the last Final Fantasy to get an HD Remaster. While fans clamor for older gamed from the PS1 generation to get remasters as well, Katano says that the quality of such a project would not be up to Square-Enix's standards due to the limitations of remastering the older graphics, and instead, a remake would be more likely to happen if SE chose to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeshi Katano
    “You look at the other titles in the series and technologically anything before the PS2 era is going to be difficult to do a modern remaster of to a suitable level of quality…that means a [future game] is more likely to be a remake.”

VII is already slated to have a long sought after remake by fans, and Square-Enix has already done remakes for Final Fantasy III and IV on the DS. Does this statement point to the fact that Square may actually be mulling over the idea of doing full remakes of Final Fantasy VIII and IX? This year marks the 30th Anniversary for the series, and it may prove to be a good time to announce such a future venture in addition to receiving a release date for the first episode of the highly anticipated Final Fantasy VII.

The question is, is the world ready for Square-Enix to open up the gaming vaults and reintroduce their classics in a new way for old and new fans alike? Perhaps the success of the VII remake will be the litmus test that will open up the possibility to see more remakes.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am honestly surprised at how much I do not care about remakes at this point. At all. I like my remakes small, DS/3DS-sized. The VII Remake thing is really not doing anything for me, and I'm not even remotely interested in remakes of games I liked better.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

For me, it depends on how good the VII remake is. However, I'd prefer they work on developing new games rather than remakes of old ones.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

If the FFVII remake is really very good, then I'm fine. Gotta admit I'm still slightly dubious about it.

I'd rather they concentrate on making their new games good.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

SE always has to put the cart before the smurfing horse.

They need to wait and see how FFVII remake is received, also how long it takes them to make (as right now things don't look good), before they start saying LOL PLEASE LOOK FORWARD TO IT.

smurf off, se
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Not only that I have heard that some days ago, Nomura-san already half-announced that last year by joking about how V and VI are still not remade and that they still have to do that.

And I am totally in for a VI 3D remake.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

If they make a V VI or IX remake. I wouldnt be opposed. Well except ix cos like. Thats done sorta with the steam version but.
    I think id prefer more main games or spinoffs or something to get my ff fix without playing the same game again

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The Steam version isn't a remake at all Galuf. It's just a port.

I don't think this was confirming anything. It comes off to me as just a maybe and that's all.

Articles

Perhaps SE should just wait and see what happens with the VII Remake first. I'm really looking forward to the Remake as I am interested to see what they do with the universe (kind of feel like it's a good opportunity to wipe the VII slate clean and create a new non-compilation connected experience), but lets not get ahead of ourselves now SE.

That said, I don't think they have anything in the works right now, and this was just a passing comment.

if they were to do another pre-PS2 remake, then i'd totally be on board with an FF VI remake... i told my brother about that article and before i could get it out he said "i hope they do VI", of course i lol cause i was just about to say that... yeah, i'm in total agreement, VI needs to be done if they opt for another remake...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    I don't think this was confirming anything. It comes off to me as just a maybe and that's all.
    That's my feeling as well. It simply sounds like if they were asked to do anymore remasters for the games that haven't yet, the guy said SE would do a remake instead because an HD remaster of the old graphics wouldn't really do it justice. Se has been teasing further remakes for years, but I'm sure VII is the only one in the works and they are likely waiting to see how it does before moving ahead with any others.

Can they just wait to see how well FF VII R goes first before they get carried away and jump on the remake horse ? ? ??

I really think FFVI needs a remake, and I will be very happy with a high quality one. After all, it's one of the only one that is still in 2D.
    For FFVIII and FFIX, I'm not opposed to it, but I think it's not a priority.

i read an article the other day that said they were just interested in remaking PS1 games. Link doesn't work right now for some reason.

So smurf off FFVIII and FFIX remakes, give me Chrono Cross with a proper sized cast, a proper ending and Mitsuda back to do some rearrangements of the OST.

I'd say come on Xenogears remake but it's prob for the best this will never happen.

Just as everyone else has said, I would prefer for SE to wait and see how FF7R does before they start planning for other remakes.

Everything they have shown so far has me deeply concerned about the quality of the game.

That said..I would still prefer them to start on XVI over a remake if I had to choose between the two.

Pull my Devil Trigger!