Thread: Tellin' It Like It Is

Default Tellin' It Like It Is

Saw in that Top 5 Soundtracks thread something that boggled my mind.

I saw numerous mentions of Chrono Trigger...and only one vote for Chrono Cross.

Now, CC had a lot of problems. But it is an unparalleled giant in terms of music. CT has absolutely nothing that tops it.

World Map Theme?
    (SPOILER)

Dungeon Theme?
    (SPOILER)

Final Boss Theme? (it counts dammit, Time Devourer Lavos has no music)
    (SPOILER)

And then there were these. LISTEN TO THEM AND KNOW THE MASTER.
    (SPOILER)

To summarize:

Only the foul spawn of Lavos would think CT better.

But seriously, listen to that whole concert at least. It's so unbelievably good.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

CT had some great music, but I agree that Chrono Cross has one of the best scores of all time. I came down the isle at my wedding to Another World.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Overlooking the fact that several pieces in CC are themselves just arrangements from the CT OSV...

As I've stated before on numerous occasions, while I will not say that CC is a bad score at all, I feel it fails to be a good soundtrack because it's more ambient than something that is tied to a story and place for me. The CC OST is good, but it rarely brings up any feeling of "of hey, that was a cool part!" or "they were a great character/boss/dungeon" instead it's good music to me. CT's soundtrack is something where I can tell you where every musical piece played in the game and the score is deeply tied to the narrative and characters for me. I also prefer the musical range of CT because I generally prefer variety in my soundtracks, a side effect of liking Yoko Kanno's body of work, and CC just doesn't have that.

Of the OST's Mitsuda has done for Squenix, CC is my least favorite despite being some of his best work. I still prefer CT and Xenogears over it because they feel more connected to the world and story for me.

I'll just throw out some favorite tracks while I listen to thirteen straight minutes of orchestrated Chrono Cross music. Two have already been posted: Dragon God and Prisoners of Fate/People Seized with Life or whatever the track is actually called. I've seen a few names for it.

(SPOILER)

(Yes I actually like this one)

And one of my all time favorite game remixes just for fun:

My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.