Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The most importan RPG in your life...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Question The most importan RPG in your life...

...that isn't Final Fantasy. Obviously, since this is an FF forum, I imagine FF is pretty special for everyone here on some level, but what other RPG had a profound impact on you as either something personal or just "Holy hell, this is a great game!".

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I guess Pokemon. First thing that came to my head and the Pokemon craze was a part of my childhood.

Phantasy Star, PS4 in particular... for me it just did everything right in a genre oversaturated in tired old medieval tropes and settings... it shattered the concept that RPGs had to be wizards and warriors versus dungeons and dragons... later the MegaTen & Persona series did the exact same thing... but, for me it started with Phantasy Star III, i went back and played I & II, and bought IV as soon as it came out...
    i went into this thread thinking my answer would be Chrono Trigger, as i have beaten it more than any other game... but, upon reflection, my love of RPGs really took off with Phantasy Star III...

Final Fantasy VII and Xenosaga Episode 1. They made me a fan of Japanese media and had an unparalleled influence on what I like in my stories and characters.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Pokémon, for indirect reasons more than anything. I met my girlfriend by watching her draw Pokémon artwork on Twitch.

For just "oh this game is cool" stuff then Skyrim, I suppose.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hmmm....

Persona 3, probably, because it showed me games could be all about the human condition

Xenoblade Chronicles, because up until that point I hadn't been so engrossed in a world

The Baldur's Gate series because it's how my wife introduced me to WRPGs.

The Witcher games, because they're legit amazing and I can't even put to words how proud I am of my country for producing such immense quality products.

Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku 2, the reason I was so obsessed with DBZ throughout my teen years.

Articles
    Blog Entries

None, really. Final Fantasy and Warcraft III were the two games/series that actually had a profound impact on me. Everything else pretty much came from the last three years through visual novels, heh.

Golden Sun and The Lost Age had a very significant impact on me. It helped me to break out of a vicious cycle that my mind was locked in, and is one of the single most important parts of my personal growth and maturity.

Fire Emblem Awakening and Persona 3 are both directly related to meeting my girlfriend, so they've also had a very significant impact on my life.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Can I say Final Fantasy Legend? It's not a 'real' final fantasy since it is part of the SaGa series. It was the first RPG I ever played and it got me hooked on the genre.

If not, then I will say Secret of Mana, which opened me up to action RPGs which are awesome too.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Dragon Quest 1.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

It's either Earthbound, or Breath of Fire II. Both games were the games that took me out of the Square Soft bubble and let me see other great companies making great games too.

It's between Super Mario RPG and Pokémon Red/Blue, but I'm not sure which.

I rented SMRPG once because it was Mario, but was utterly confused as to what I got myself into. It was the very first RPG ever and I didn't get it at all. Then I ended up buying it for cheap when a local video rental store was closing and finally wrapped my head around the concept.

Then the next year came Pokémon that sparked my interest even more, leading me to get Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 for GBC and Final Fantasy Legends III.

Still, I wouldn't truly hop onto the RPG train until I played Final Fantasy VII (at the CONSTANT urge of a friend) when I was 16. The first two just got me going in the right direction.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Ffv cos liquid flame made me come here