Thread: Games that recently broke into your "Top 20"

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cool Games that recently broke into your "Top 20"

So what are some games you've played recently that broke into your imaginary list of favorite games?

For me, probably Bloodborne because holy crap it's an actual fun H.P. Lovecraft game that happens to fill that action itch I've really been missing for awhile now; and while I'm still only halfway through it, Persona 5 has definitely hit every right spot needed for me, and I'm getting closer and closer to naming it my favorite entry in the series. That's saying something because we all know how much I won't shut up about Persona 2 and 3.

The games don't have to be released recently, just something you've played in the last year or so that made you stand up and take notice.

From this year, I'm going to have to say Dark Souls and Persona 5.

P5 especially blew me out of the water. It's a game that's going to stick with me for the rest of my life.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Breath of the Wild for sure. That even broke my top five Zelda games.

I quickly checked my backlog over the past two years and nothing really jumped out as something I'd rank as an all time favorite. Even Final Fantasy XV which I loved I don't think could squeeze anything out.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

This is hard. Probably Trails of Cold Steel and The Walking Dead

Having given Final Fantasy XII a third try recently after first hating it and then just having trouble getting into it, I finally got into it. Hard. And was legitimately surprised by my first and second impressions

Stardew Valley and Hyper Light Drifter actually lived up to expectation and beyond. Well beyond. Hyper Light does for me what Dark Souls does for others. I just wish it had the replay value. And Stardew was the most charming and lovable and relaxing game I've probably ever played

Another recent surprise was Gravity Rush with the remastered version. I love the world, at style, lore, and interface with dialog and cut scenes.

A final surprise love would have to be Dragon Quest Builders which scratched a similar itch to playing Stardew Valley and a really good Zelda-like. Which is great for me because I like the Zelda formula but I do not like Zelda games

And an obvious recent entry was Horizon Zero Dawn which completely lived up to hype for me and then some

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2, Trails in the Sky 2 & 3 and Yakuza 0

Well..I already loved Trails, but those four releases were all in the last 1.5 years so

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Definitely all the Witchers, especially 3. Before that, I finally got into DQ and it has become one of my treasured franchises, and also Undertale ripped me apart and scattered the pieces.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Last of Us is probably the biggest one if that counts as recent. That bad boy made it all the way to my top five.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The House in Fata Morgana and Persona 3 FES.

Persona 5, Hatoful boyfriend.